Menu

Fafsa & the data retrieval tool

Hilltopmom

We had to amend our 2016 taxes. (Adopted a child we had been fostering but didn’t get his ss# until after taxes were filed so we couldn’t claim him originally) When you use the data retrieval you can’t see the numbers, right?

I’m leaning towards not using it because I’m nervous they won’t upload the revised one.

It should still be easy, right? I just input the numbers myself off our tax forms?

Also, the “Number of people in your householdâ€- is that for the 2016 tax year or currently? We’ve had a child pass away since those taxes were filed.

Thanks

We had to amend our 2016 taxes. (Adopted a child we had been fostering but didn’t get his ss# until after taxes were filed so we couldn’t claim him originally) When you use the data retrieval you can’t see the numbers, right?

I’m leaning towards not using it because I’m nervous they won’t upload the revised one.

It should still be easy, right? I just input the numbers myself off our tax forms?

Also, the “Number of people in your householdâ€- is that for the 2016 tax year or currently? We’ve had a child pass away since those taxes were filed.

Thanks

It will take a little longer but if you have your tax forms, not difficult.  The other option is to use the import and then review it all later after it processes.

The household number would be for the coming school year. Here's the FAFSA guidance:

To determine your parents’ household size, include:

1. yourself;
  2. your parents;
  3. the number of other children (other than yourself and even if they do not live with your parents) who will receive more than half of their support from your parents between July 1, 2018 and June 30, 2019; and
  4. the number of people who are not your parents’ children but who live with your parents and receive more than half of their support from your parents, and will continue to receive more than half of their support from your parents between July 1, 2018 and June 30, 2019.