Menu

Accountability Thread 10/8-10/13

Sigh. I never thought I would, but I kind of miss young kids and taking them to pumpkin patches and reading pumpkin books. Happy--you have to read Too Many Pumpkins (Linda White) to your little ones for me.

Today's schedule:

French-Lesson 5, workbook

Latin-continue lesson 21, workbook

Math-lesson 12, 1 page KTM

Writing-CW Week 4, Ex 1, spelling words from literature, KISS grammar ex

Literature-The Tell-Tale Heart, pregrammar, definitions

History-Cp 6, narration

Science-Sec 4, questions

For me: French, Latin, Geometry, Grammar, constructing a long synopsis for my novel, revising short synopsis, NaNoWriMo planning, housekeeping.

• Like 2

Good morning! Critter, you sound better, lol! We are doing a short day today, if the boys get up and get to work, I'd like to be done by 12 and then just relax. I'm thinking we should be able to get morning time, latin, math spelling, and part of a history lesson done, a little memory work to end the day and piano practice.

• Like 2

Aww.  That's one advantage to having them spread out like I did.  Just as my oldest was "too old" for the patch, the young ones came along and she got to play the big sissy with her little siblings at the patch. 

I will look that book up.  Today's pumpkin book is The Biggest Pumpkin Ever.  This week's theme unit is all pumpkins  (nice tie in with the patch huh :-)

Your siggie says you have 13yr old boys?  Hmm....maybe you could nudge them into some skilled pumpkin carving...see who makes the scariest pumpkin? lol

Hmmmm, total aside, I think I need to spend the evening searching for The Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown video.  It's gotta be around somewhere huh?

Oh, yes, we'll be carving. One of these days I'd love to actually spend some time learning how to do the intricate stuff with tools.

Too Many Pumpkins was a favorite for a while with my boys. This year we had a reenactment of the story when my son grew pumpkins in the backyard and the vines took on a life of their own! We visited an heirloom seed company this summer and loaded up on new varieties to try next year. 

• Like 2

Good morning afternoon!

It's been awhile since I joined this thread...

Everyone in my house has had the flu, since one of my coworkers got sick from his flu shot and came to work anyway, so that's been less than fun.

School has been a slog recently, so I changed a couple of things (it is October, after all, and we really need changes/breaks in October and February). DD finished her vocabulary book today, and we started Eastern philosophy (The Circle of Happiness from Royal Fireworks Press), which she really likes. It asks her to try to answer questions she would ask, and got a kick out of our discussion because we think differently and there is no "right" or "wrong" answer. It should only take 2 weeks if we do one lesson a day. Oddly enough, it was kicked off by our watching The Good Place on Netflix which cites several Western philosophers and their philosophies throughout the show. (Good show, but not for those who are particularly conservative, or children). Now I'm considering replacing history this year with philosophy. We did the history of science last year, so maybe the history and study of philosophy would be interesting?

Also, I got a book on the history of Halloween for her to read starting next week, instead of the rehash of world history that she's been struggling against since August. 

We're gearing up for tumbling and trampoline competition season, so DD is in the gym or out on our trampoline (self-motivated!) almost every day, except the end of last week when the flu hit hard. 

• Like 2

DD finished her vocabulary book today, and we started Eastern philosophy (The Circle of Happiness from Royal Fireworks Press), which she really likes. It asks her to try to answer questions she would ask, and got a kick out of our discussion because we think differently and there is no "right" or "wrong" answer. It should only take 2 weeks if we do one lesson a day.

Do you think it is useful towards the general goal of eventually understanding the differences in eastern and western philosophy? We are so in love with MCT, I just want to buy everything they publish now and I was thinking about this for my DD.

• Like 1

I couldn't decide if today should be a school day or not. Dh is home, which has been a rare thing lately and will be becoming more rare for a little while :( BUT DS had Athena's class anyway so we got through half a day's work. Not sure what we'll do for the afternoon.

Tomorrow we have another dental consult for DS, and work scheduled for Thursday with more medication if it goes well. I'm not going to set many goals for him this week but just going to keep plucking along where we can.

Next week is our last "regular" school week and then we'll bee doing school poolside in FL with my dad!

• Like 1

Good morning! 

Today's schedule:

French-Les Portes Tordues

Latin-continue lesson 21

Art-drawing class with instructor (not me)

Math-lesson 13 and KTM

Writing-spelling practice only

History/Science-swap from yesterday

For me: French, Latin, Geometry, Writing (working on synopsis, some character work for the next novel, and desperately need to proofread this week), Housekeeping, Writers' Meeting

• Like 1

Do you think it is useful towards the general goal of eventually understanding the differences in eastern and western philosophy? We are so in love with MCT, I just want to buy everything they publish now and I was thinking about this for my DD.

Maybe. It introduces Eastern philosophies in a very light way. I actually wish it were a bit meatier, with suggested resources (I suspect that's what their online class has, but I can't justify spending $350 for a 1 semester course, personally). But it's a good introduction, I think. It's hard to find eastern philosophy courses that aren't college level, because even if you find a philosophy course, it's nearly always based on the western school of thought.

Now I'm looking for high school level philosophy courses that don't cost an arm and a leg, so DD can participate and discuss with other people than just me. She LOVES discussion.

• Like 3

Today's schedule derailed by a dead car battery.. or something. So dead I can't jump start it with my battery pack.  Dentist cancelled for today. Not sure what to do about the rest of the week because I don't see getting the car fixed until Thursday since DH is away on business trip.

Since we are stuck at home, going to re-start up our school day for a few hours and get some more work done. 

After that, I am going to do MY school work for a while. 

• Like 2

Today was a relatively good day despite getting some bad news this morning. We had a great time at the book sale and picked up a few things. We got a mini- globe that lights up for my younger Ds, R&S English 6 to use as reference for my 9th grader and a set of MUS algebra and decimal inserts for $2. I need to watch a video on how to use them, lol. We did get some lessons done today. Youngest got recitations, verbal math lesson, literature, grammar and spelling done. Bigger boy did his history and science homework for co op and studied for his tests

• Like 1

Good morning, our schedule for today is

Morning time

Latin

Math

Grammar/spelling

Literature

Astronomy

Recitation

Add studying for history and science tests to that list for my older boy and it should be a full day of learning. I'm hoping to squeeze in a piano lesson as well. For me, I'm just hoping to make it through the day, I'm exhausted, I didn't sleep well at all.

• Like 1

Good morning. I can report that I am no longer sick and slept well--so there's hope! :laugh:

Today's schedule:

French-grammar and translation today, practice vocabulary

Latin-translation work today, practice grammar

Math-lesson 14, 1 page KTM

Writing-spelling practice, challenge exercise 1, grammar exercise

Literature-Tell Tale Heart, questions

Science-reading, questions

History-reading, narration

For me: French, Latin, Geometry, Grammar, Proofreading, Housekeeping, Hair Appointment

• Like 1

We had a sick day today and it was pretty nice. Tomorrow, back to work. I think ask the kids should be well enough to get through a normal Thursday.

Math

Handwriting

Writing

Science classes fo Ds, reading for DD and.. I need to think of something for history. They just finished the audio book Kaya about the Nez Perce, and since we just drove through that area on our eclipse trip I was thinking I could stretch that out. Maybe some related map work.

• Like 4

Good morning.

Today's schedule:

French-Les Portes Tordues

Latin-continue lesson 21

Art-painting, drawing today

Math-lesson 15, 1 page KTM

Writing-spelling practice

Science/History-swap from yesterday

For me: French, Latin, Geometry, Writing, Housekeeping, possibly a little cooking

• Like 4

Kids were not quite well enough to get everything done..at least not DS9. Ds2 is still pretty under the weather as well.

DS got through TTRS and Greek, then did a single page of multiplication drill and is new reading Greek mythology but can't handle much more thinking.

DD7 woke up, did her duolingo French and told me she needed to learn Italian, Latin, hula dancing, tap dancing and "flamingo" dancing lol. I've got my hands full with her. I corrected her to flamenco, let her watch YouTube videos of hula dancing until she quit, we did MCT grammar island (almost done yay!) And then I printed her the first few pages of Lingua Latina Per Se Illustrata (which is a classic Latin instruction text entirely in Latin). She decoded and translated the first paragraph with minimal help, marking verbs, nouns, conjunctions and propositions, and highlighting the word ending changes that correspond to the objects of the propositions. Paralleling what she's doing in MCT made it really easy for her to mark everything up.

DS5 is doing HWT and writing "MELEPHANT" and "MOZZLE"... Still with his joke of changing the first letter sound to M. He just needs math and I'll be pretty comfortable with the day.

• Like 3

Good morning.

Today's planned torture session:

French-quiz

Latin-continue lesson 21, review vocabulary! (Bwahaha!)

Math-Test

Writing-(Surprise Free Write), Spelling test, grammar lesson

Literature-Tell Tale Heart, read aloud (surprise-no questions!)

Geography-I think we are starting Eastern Europe today--I'll have to check.

For me-French, Latin, Geometry, Grammar, Editing, Housekeeping. Today is the query letter contest. Other than that, I plan to sip my tea and live up to my evil overlord status as "enforcer of school". :D

• Like 1

Popping back in.

This week was fall break from the toughest classes, and that gave DS the time to catch up on the other classes. Wednesday was the PSAT.

And I have finally started organizing his college search project. In the beginning phase, I am the one doing the research. This is my third time through but first time with a homeschooler.

As for me, I have been reading a lot and keeping up with math. My foreign language studies need a reboot.

• Like 3