Menu

What is something that you have stopped doing that has made your life better?

mommyoffive

I have never heard this phrase but, my gosh, it is probably one of the most perfect phrases I have every heard.  Thank you for sharing it.  It is something I desperately need to memorize and recall often.  It would save me countless frustration.  I WILL memorize it (and read it daily until I do).  Thank you for sharing.

Isn't it perfect? I put it in quotes b/c the words are not mine, but, like you, I loved them when I first heard them and committed them to memory. 

I hope to learn the author one day. A wise homeschooling friend quoted it to me many years ago. 

Edited by Angie in VA

Years ago, turned off the radio/cd in the car.

We spend a lot of time in the car & I was just tired of hearing noise. I turned it off & it was refreshing. 99% of the time, I don't have it on. It lets me concentrate on driving & think when I'm alone. When with ds (a teen, who has had the car this way for years now & likes it off too), we have great conversations (& there's no noise or talking in the background to interfere). It's also nice because even when we're not conversing, we can enjoy happy silence together. It's just lovely.

(I'm probably too sensitive to noises, smells, etc. I rarely turn on noise in my house -- tvs, stereos, radios, etc. I keep my computer on mute 99% of the time. Even so, there is an abundance of noise from ambient appliance noises, to my OCD neighbor who has every loud, high-powered lawn instrument known to man & uses them almost daily for hours on end, to nice noises like hearing owls hooting at night. Right now I'm listening to the announcements & band from a high school football game that's almost a mile away. :lol: )

• Like 2

Do most of you actually read a book a week? I just can't imagine. I'd love to, but sheesh! I have 3 small children!

I am down to hsing only 2 children now (though hsing a high schooler is pretty time-consuming), but I understand the time crunch. I found converting internet time to book time makes it easier. YMMV.

When I started, I committed to just a book a month, and managed 26 that year, to my surprise.

There’s no minimum book requirement; we’re an easygoing bunch. Give it a try!

There are seasons of life & having 3 young kids makes it hard for mom to find reading time, imo. I didn't accomplish much reading for myself when my dc were young.

I was no where near 52 when I started, but at least committing & dedicating myself to reading some every week helped me get there. No, it's not always a book a week. Sometimes I'll go weeks & only finish one, while other times I'll finish more than one a week. (But, my kids are teens now.) I've also never been a tv watcher at all. I do have to get myself off the computer to get my reading time, but it's worth it. I also find that having a book with me at all times helps. (That way I can read while waiting somewhere, etc.)

Please pop in on the Book a Week group. As Violet Crown says, you'll find lots of encouragement no matter where you are on your reading journey.

• Like 3

Stopped eating red meat...I am now "mostly" vegetarian (about 5-6/7 days a week).

Started listening to audiobooks when driving...don't have time to do all the reading I'd like to do but when stuck in the car for hours on end, dd and I listen to book after book on things we want to know about then discuss them.

Edited by Donna
  • Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Do most of you actually read a book a week? I just can't imagine. I'd love to, but sheesh! I have 3 small children!

Not always, and definitely not when my kids were small. Now that mine are older (teens), I have far more time for reading. The weekly Book a Week Thread is a wonderful one. Many don't read a book every single week. To me, it's more about the joy of reading rather than the number of books read. 

• Like 2

Started catching myself when I am arguing with people or over-explaining myself.  If we're so out of synch with each other that we're arguing (even politely) or I'm having to go to great lengths to explain what I mean...then never mind.  Let's move on to a new topic.  

This. This is where I am also. It took a while, but I'm pretty much here as well. You said it far better than I ever could. 

Years ago, turned off the radio/cd in the car.

(I'm probably too sensitive to noises, smells, etc. I rarely turn on noise in my house -- tvs, stereos, radios, etc. I keep my computer on mute 99% of the time. Even so, there is an abundance of noise from ambient appliance noises, to my OCD neighbor who has every loud, high-powered lawn instrument known to man & uses them almost daily for hours on end, to nice noises like hearing owls hooting at night. Right now I'm listening to the announcements & band from a high school football game that's almost a mile away. :lol: )

Stacia, I don't listen to anything in the car either. My computer is also on mute most of the time. The older I get, the more sensitive I am to noise. I do enjoy music in the mornings while making breakfast and doing the dishes, mostly classical these days. That's pretty much it. I never thought that I would become this way. I'm learning to enjoy quiet more and  more. 

Got rid of our TV programming in 2005. So freeing and no more garbage filling our minds all day long. We still watch movies but those are purposefully chosen and a family event, not just for zoning out.

Started learning to play the piano. I am too intimidated by the thought of playing for a teacher and too cheap to take lessons, but on the recommendation of a friend bought some Alfred All in One Adult Piano Course books and am working my way through those. I'm no where near as good as my kids are, but I'm learning and I think they are impressed by me tackling a new skill.

Sent from my Z988 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I quit drinking booze. I didn't have any incidents from drinking, and I wasn't a daily drinker, but I could see my wine consumption escalating. I wasn't recovering after I drank the way I used to. So I've just taken it out of the equation completely and it has simplified my life. You don't need to be a classic alcoholic to find that your life can improve if you stop drinking.

I have made small steps toward not being a doormat. I am slowly learning to voice displeasure in a way that doesn't offend others (and I bet it wouldn't have offended others anyway, but maybe now I'm just learning not to be afraid of offending people). Now I waste a lot less time stewing. 

• Like 2