Menu

Internship application, resume questions

klmama

My freshman dc has been encouraged to apply for an internship.  Dc's work experience is not related to the internship, and the freshman general education classes don't really apply, either.  However, dc has a lot of skills learned through non-related jobs, volunteering, and extracurricular activities that would be useful for any job.  The problem is that the company wants applicants to upload their resumes, and there's no place for a cover letter to tie everything together; it's just a simple online contact info portal with resume upload.  Dc does have the email of the recruiting department, so could send a letter after sending the resume to make more connections between the resume and the job that way.  What do you think?

Am I right to think that crafting a skills-based resume would be better than a chronological one in this case?  Or since this is a business setting, would it be better to go ahead and have a traditional resume and just set bullet points by all of the skills learned and practiced, even if there is overlap?

Any BTDT advice would be much appreciated!  I didn't expect dc to be asking for resume help until there was more experience to include!

My son had to make a resume and he has no work experience.  I helped him piece together a skills-based resume and only had a few dates on it at all.  They were really clear about only sending a resume.

In fact, DH is applying for some jobs and they are very clear that they ONLY want a resume, no space for a cover letter and the jobs are specifically stating NO PHONE CALLS.  It is all very odd to me, but I guess this is the new way to do things.

My husband does college internships interviews as part of his job. It’s only resumes that he get for each candidate. My husband appreciate concise one to one and a half page resumes. His internships are for engineering. The engineers interview from 8am-5pm with lunch provided by the college’s student services.

Put

- work related experience

- unrelated work experience (still shows work ethic)

- extracurriculars if no work experience (show ability to collaborate)

For my husband’s employer, the college internships resumes go through their recruitment office who sorts them by college and faculty (school of business, school of engineering, etc). The recruitment office would then tell the department heads how many staff are needed for each college. They assigned about twenty resumes per engineer doing the interviewing.

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 1