Menu

HSPT- Private School

My 8th grader is considering his options for high school.  We are very comfortable continuing to homeschool, but if he can get some scholarship $$, we would consider sending him to a local private school. 

Scholarship and admissions decisions are based largely on the entrance test (HSPT). 

I just found out today that all of the local private middle schools are prepping their students for this exam like it's the SAT.  One would think that if they're as good as they say they are, no prep would be needed, but alas...

So, I want to get a prep book to look it over and get an idea of what to expect.  Does anyone here have any experience with a test book for this?  There are several on Amazon, and I don't know where to start.

Thanks.

Most HSPT books will be fine. It is about understanding how they ask questions. Definitely do not go in cold to the test. Meaning don't wing it. It is tough in that many kids aren't used to the way a standardized test like that is set up.

My older sons had to take the ISEE which is a bit harder overall than the HSPT. I had him take a prep course and we got a book. They studied for about 2 to 3 months before taking it. They both did well. They both are long tests to sit for.

I have seen a number of HSPT prep books and really, all cover the same stuff for the most part. Go for one with the best reviews. The most useful prep is just practicing taking the exam. That, my sons said, was the most helpful to them. In decreased anxiousness.

Kaplan 7th edition is a good one for practice tests.

Edited by nixpix5
  • Like 1

I liked the old Redwood one the best but now it's out of print. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0991163109/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1  I think there is a website for Redwood now but I don't know anything about it.  Among the other usual brands, I don't think it matters much.  There are only two practice tests in each of the usual brands because they're combined with other tests.

Our experience with HSPT is that the math is very easy (if your student is at all advanced in math) and vocabulary is hard.  The private middle schools will prep for it, but the prep I saw (e.g. vocabulary flash cards) didn't seem any more effective than doing a few practice tests.  Three of my kids took the HSPT - one from a private middle school that prepped in-school and the others from a public middle school where all I could get them to do was a few practice sections LOL - and their scores are remarkably similar.

If you are shooting for scholarships and there is competition, you would definitely want to prep.  My kids' school offers scholarships to the top 10 scorers, or something like that, with only a few kids getting full tuition and the rest getting just a few thousand.

Edited by wapiti
  • Like 1