Menu

MathCounts

How exactly do I register DS to compete in MathCounts as a homeschooled individual? Do I just register myself as a coach and put "LastName Homeschool" for the school? I'm assuming it does not matter that there is no "school" level competition for homeschoolers. Also, how do I figure out which chapter we are in? I see the list but I'm not sure which region we are considered part of. 

I feel bad that he missed out on MathCounts last year because I didn't know he could compete individually; I thought he had to be on a team. He already does AMC 8, Math Kangaroo, and another local competition.

Here are the current homeschool rules from the MathCounts website:

HOW HOMESCHOOLS PARTICIPATE: Homeschools and/or homeschool groups in compliance with the homeschool laws of the state in which they are located are eligible to participate in MATHCOUNTS competitions in accordance with all other rules. Homeschool coaches must complete the 2017-2018 Homeschool + Virtual School Participation Form, verifying that students from the homeschool or homeschool group are in the 6th, 7th or 8th grade and that each homeschool complies with applicable state laws. Forms can be downloaded at www.mathcounts.org/competition and must be submitted to the MATHCOUNTS national office in order for registrations to be processed.

It looks like you need to complete a MathCounts school registration form, marking your school as a homeschool where it asks for school type.

Then, in addition, you need to complete and send in this form (even if you child is competing as an individual):

2017-2018 homeschool + virtual school participation form - MathCounts

You should be contacted with details of the Chapter competition after your registration is processed, but if not, here's a listing of all the chapter coordinators & their contact info. \

If you don't know which chapter you're in, then I'd suggest contacting your state coordinator (same link) and asking him/her.

Our family participated several years ago, my son as an individual and my daughter as part of a homeschool math club. Lots of fun!! Hope you enjoy it as well. :001_smile:

Edited by Kathy in Richmond
  • Like 3

How exactly do I register DS to compete in MathCounts as a homeschooled individual? Do I just register myself as a coach and put "LastName Homeschool" for the school? I'm assuming it does not matter that there is no "school" level competition for homeschoolers. Also, how do I figure out which chapter we are in? I see the list but I'm not sure which region we are considered part of. 

Yes, you give your team any name you like.  On the Homeschool Participation Form, each team member's school is called "LastName Family."  

The School Level rounds are designed for students within a single school to prepare before the chapter competition.  I usually reserve them for students who are uncomfortable with Chapter Level problems which are step up in difficulty.  

MathCounts is homeschool friendly, and when you call or email you reach a live human being, so don't be afraid to contact them with questions.

If you can at all find 3 other students to join your DS, that would enable him to fully participate in all the rounds, but better to compete as an individual than not at all.  Good luck.  It's a great program.  

• Like 2

I just want to say it is a wonderful program. Going single is fine but there are some rounds that you only get to do as a member of a team which my son loved. He was fortunate because he was able to get a friend to make the team 4 member. This was a non mathy buddy who decided a day out with pizza and a tshirt was worth taking a math test! They had a great time.

• Like 4

I contacted our state coordinator via email to find out what chapter we are in. My state and chapter coordinators have been awesome to answer all my questions. I also recommend trying to form a team of 4. It really is more fun with a team! I didn't think it would happen for us but we've found 5 kids who want to participate. You never know! 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
1 hour ago, Mykids2000 said:

strawberries-Did he like the competition?  We had a home school team of 4 go to the Mathcounts competition for the first time this year and we had a blast!

Yes, he loved it. He did well enough to advance to state and had a great time at both competitions. There were quite a few other kids competing as individuals - not just homeschoolers, but also from local schools that didn't put together full teams. The let the individuals participate together in the team round just for fun, not counting the scores. There were lawn games and Rubik's Cubes for the kids to hang out and play with during the down time. He definitely wants to do it again next year, with or without a team.

• Like 3