Menu

Okay to leave CC courses off high school transcript?

daijobu

To be clear we will send the community college transcript to all colleges and we will report that she took the class.

But I am wondering if it's okay to leave her CC class off her high school transcript?  It was a theater class that was pass/fail that was coordinated by the children's theater company my dd participated in.  It may be the only CC class she takes in high school.  I don't have a strong reason to leave it off, only that it's P/F and there's that urban legend floating around that a Pass is equivalent to a "C."  But I would like to know if it's an option to leave it off her main high school transcript.  

Was it an actual college class, or more of a community access type class for youth at the college? If it's the latter, I would not send it to the colleges or necessarily mention it except perhaps as an extracurricular.

For example, my daughters have taken a few youth cooking classes that are held at the university, and are actually on a transcript there, but were not true college courses for credit. The cooking classes did show up when we sent the transcript to document other college classes, but were definitely not listed on her hs transcript, and I would not have sent the college transcript if the cooking classes were the only thing she had done there.

• Like 1

Yes, it depends on whether it was a class FOR CREDIT. 

If it was for credit, I would put it on the transcript. It's not an academic class, so I wouldn't worry about pass/fail at all. Some schools do frown on lots of P/F classes, but they don't actually count it as a C, it will not figure into GPA at all. If they recalculate her GPA, this type of elective is very unlikely to be included anyway; they usually recalculate for what they consider core classes. 

• Like 2

You can use it as an extracurricular. You are the high school. You decide whether you accept the class for credit or not. it isn't required.

If she received actual high school or college credit for the class, it IS required. Every application I have looked at or helped fill out, and that is many, specifically states that you must put every high school you attended for credit, and every college attended for credit. When you submit the application, you certify that is complete, correct, and truthful. 

You do not get to decide whether to award credit; the other institution has already awarded credit. So, while she could leave it off of "her" transcript and just send the CC transcript, she cannot just list it as an extra-curricular if it was indeed a class for credit. It will not affect her GPA regardless

ime, you really want to keep things simple and not give them a reason to have to ask questions. If it's listed on the transcript in the normal manner, they won't care in the least about this pass/fail drama class. If it's not listed, but then they get a transcript from the community college, that's just something they might question and it might become a thing. Probably no more than an annoyance, but why go down that road? If you take a class and get high school or college credit, it belongs on the transcript. 

• Like 3

If she received actual high school or college credit for the class, it IS required. Every application I have looked at or helped fill out, and that is many, specifically states that you must put every high school you attended for credit, and every college attended for credit. When you submit the application, you certify that is complete, correct, and truthful.

You do not get to decide whether to award credit; the other institution has already awarded credit. So, while she could leave it off of "her" transcript and just send the CC transcript, she cannot just list it as an extra-curricular if it was indeed a class for credit. It will not affect her GPA regardless

ime, you really want to keep things simple and not give them a reason to have to ask questions. If it's listed on the transcript in the normal manner, they won't care in the least about this pass/fail drama class. If it's not listed, but then they get a transcript from the community college, that's just something they might question and it might become a thing. Probably no more than an annoyance, but why go down that road? If you take a class and get high school or college credit, it belongs on the transcript.

You have to include it as transfer credit to the college but it doesn't have to go on the high school transcript itself. Kids in our district take college classes during the evenings or on weekends to get a jump on general eds but they aren't necessarily accepted by the high school as progress toward a diploma nor are they included on the transcript.

My oldest two took 58 college credits as high schoolers. There was no way I was including all of those classes for credit. I used their kickboxing, ballet, theater etc as extra credit since we were lacking in formal outside activities.

ETA: If the OP were to be questioned (we never were), she can explain that they took it pass fail specifically for enrichment outside of the curriculum.

Edited by Barb_
  • Like 1

Daijobu:

Katilac's post here is the key to me and the reason why to award credit on your homeschool. Do whatever you reasonably can to NOT raise red flags. Because doing anything out of the ordinary throws college admission officers into a tizzy that can end poorly for your student, in spite you having the best of intentions.

I would imagine the student did other theater activities, and so you could roll all of it together in explaining her interests and extracurriculars -- that she was so interested in it that she took a college theater course.

BEST of luck whatever you decide. :) Warmest regards, Lori D.

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 1

Thank you.  You've all made very good arguments.  To be clear, the course is for credit, but she never stepped foot on campus.  It is an opportunity that is always announced at the parent meeting along the lines of "If you want to get credit at the local CC for performing in Sound of Music, just fill out this paperwork and it's done."  I don't even think we paid tuition, and my dd didn't do anything more than she was already doing for the show.  

You have to include it as transfer credit to the college but it doesn't have to go on the high school transcript itself. Kids in our district take college classes during the evenings or on weekends to get a jump on general eds but they aren't necessarily accepted by the high school as progress toward a diploma nor are they included on the transcript.

My oldest two took 58 college credits as high schoolers. There was no way I was including all of those classes for credit. I used their kickboxing, ballet, theater etc as extra credit since we were lacking in formal outside activities.

ETA: If the OP were to be questioned (we never were), she can explain that they took it pass fail specifically for enrichment outside of the curriculum.

Yes, it's standard for schools to only issue transcripts for the credits they issued. I do think there's a difference in homeschool transcripts, which generally consolidate everything, but you also made me realize that I have been using "transcript" and "application" interchangeably. It is, of course, the application that asks you to list all classes taken in high school or college, and to certify that the information is truthful and correct. I would personally think it odd to list a course on the application but then not on the transcript. 

58 credits is a lot, wow! I don't even know if that would be possible where I live; it would be 19 or so 3-hour classes, and most PE  choices  are 1-hour classes. Agreed, that would be impossible to include on the page with your academic classes! I'm a stickler, so if they were credit classes, I would indeed note it on the transcript (enrichment classes from XYZ Community College listed with extra curriculars, or a second transcript page) and of course have the college transcript sent separately.

Because the OP is not in that situation, I would keep life simple and put the one class on the transcript. It will not affect current or recalculated GPA, and one pass/fail will in theater will not get a second glance. 

I might list it in a separate section of other classes or community college classes and then not put it in the GPA as it was just a pass/fail class.

Correct, pass/fail classes cannot be put into the GPA, they do not have quality points. I just put into my notes, "DE indicates a dual enrollment course at the University of Awesome (plus H indicates honors, italics indicates a class in progress, etc)." 

So, on my transcript, it would just be listed under electives: DE Theater 101. 

• Like 2

Our schools here don't limit high school students to a certain number of classes. I didn't want to graduate them early because of scholarship potential. I was careful not to go over 60 credits in case the university wanted to see them as transfer students.

And yes, we did include all of the classes on the application, but not on the transcript.

Edited by Barb_
  • Like 2