Menu

Ea apps- recommender not complete

Hilltopmom

Ds is applying ea to all his schools, his applications are done. He has 3 recommenders, a prof, another prof who coaches his robotics team, and a mentor he does programming stuff with.

The two profs submitted their recommendations. The mentors still says started. He’s not working with the guy right now that summer is over. He will send a polite reminder soon, but if it’s not completed, should he just remove that recommender from his listed colleges?

Will colleges review his apps if it still shows one recommendation not submitted?

Does it look bad that one recommender didn’t submit their letter?

He doesn’t need this recommendation, it’s an “other†category and not required by any of his colleges.

Thanks for insight.

First, if the app is due November 1st there's still time. Don't panic just yet.

Talk to the letter writer and see if they've forgotten. It is also possible that they honestly thought they did it. On some portals, it's easy to save but not officially submit your letter. The writer may think they're done but they're not.

This is why, when I have my kids ask for letters, that they also ask the writer send my student an "I did it" email when it's done. That way the student can quickly check on the portal that it was completely submitted and get it debugged right away.

• Like 1

First, if the app is due November 1st there's still time. Don't panic just yet.

Talk to the letter writer and see if they've forgotten. It is also possible that they honestly thought they did it. On some portals, it's easy to save but not officially submit your letter. The writer may think they're done but they're not.

This is why, when I have my kids ask for letters, that they also ask the writer send my student an "I did it" email when it's done. That way the student can quickly check on the portal that it was completely submitted and get it debugged right away.

We had a problem two years ago with recommenders who thought they submitted but missed the final button to submit. One was sure she had done it but willing to troubleshoot to get it in.

The other was a cc instructor who refused to go back to it. So we never got that one in. I think it was an extra so not a huge deal but very annoying.

I don't think the Common App will allow you to add a recommender who hasn't submitted yet, though I may be misremembering that detail.

My daughter had a few people neglect to complete the process. Sometimes I think it was technology issues. The Common App process was not intuitive for some people! She had one professor who was adamant about sending a written letter of rec, so he always did his that way. She chose a few for each category though, so there was plenty of backup.

My philosophy is to send all the recs that any given college allows. I figure in the case of homeschoolers, more outsiders vouching for the student is better.

Touch base with the recommender, but also see if there is someone else who could fill that "other" spot.