Menu

Is there something "wrong" with DD17?

DD17 is a senior.  She returned to ps in January.  She is struggling now, just as she has always struggled.  Well, for as long as I've known her, which is five years (she is actually my stepdaughter, so I don't have intimate history of her past).

She is super bright. Talking to her, you would think she would have higher SAT scores or do better in school.  She is highly intellectual and very well informed and articulate.

She cannot sustain attention when doing school work.  She has always said she gets distracted - reads the same line over and over again.  I have never known her to actually complete a book.  Work, in general, does not get done in a reasonable time.

She is SLOW on tests.  Always the last one finished. 

She has become a mess.  An emotional mess.  I am so worried about her.  She cannot keep up, as much as she tries and as much as she truly and deeply wants to.

Could this be ADD?  She is forgetful sometimes, but similar to many kids, I guess.  She is usually on time, although she needs me nagging her.  

All I know is this poor, sweet girl just cries and cries lately, because she wants to know what is wrong with her.  She spent four hours reading 12 pages of The Odyssey today.  In her words, "My story is getting old."  She is so worried that she won't be able to handle college.

Is this just a personality thing, an addicted to technology thing, or something we can diagnose?

Edited by lisabees

The term would be twice-exceptional (also known as "2e"), which just means gifted with a learning problem.

ADD or even just slow processing speed by itself can certainly be determined through evaluations.  Slow reading can be dyslexia, or developmental vision issues or a combination of the two.  Slow processing speed often includes slow handwriting.

I'd suggest evaluation with a neuropsych, including IQ testing (where processing speed is tested).  Also don't forget to rule out developmental vision issues with a covd optometrist.

• Like 3

I've spent years with head in the sand about my kids' learning differences so I'm no expert...but.... to me the mismatch of what you think a kid is capable of based on talking to them, and what happens on exams/essays/assignments is a big flag for learning disability. 

I agree that the right thing to do is to pursue an assessment. 

• Like 1

DD17 is a senior. She returned to ps in January. She is struggling now, just as she has always struggled. Well, for as long as I've known her, which is five years (she is actually my stepdaughter, so I don't have intimate history of her past).

She is super bright. Talking to her, you would think she would have higher SAT scores or do better in school. She is highly intellectual and very well informed and articulate.

She cannot sustain attention when doing school work. She has always said she gets distracted - reads the same line over and over again. I have never known her to actually complete a book. Work, in general, does not get done in a reasonable time.

She is SLOW on tests. Always the last one finished.

She has become a mess. An emotional mess. I am so worried about her. She cannot keep up, as much as she tries and as much as she truly and deeply wants to.

Could this be ADD? She is forgetful sometimes, but similar to many kids, I guess. She is usually on time, although she needs me nagging her.

All I know is this poor, sweet girl just cries and cries lately, because she wants to know what is wrong with her. She spent four hours reading 12 pages of The Odyssey today. In her words, "My story is getting old." She is so worried that she won't be able to handle college.

Is this just a personality thing, an addicted to technology thing, or something we can diagnose?

My first thought with someone who is verbally very intelligent but has never finished a book is dyslexia. It may also be add but you would be looking for the distraction to occur in various situations I think?

I'm not as knowledgable as others here but friends with dyslexic kids this is what it looks like. In the short term can you use audio books for getting required reading done?

• Like 2

She sounds like she needs to be tested.

My DS listened to an audio book of The Odyssey that was performed by Ian McKellan. I believe it was the Fagles version. He also used Cliff notes and watched the Armand Assante movie. He started with the Mary Pope Osborne version during 7th grade. I guess what I'm trying to say is that the Odyssey should be listened to and not read the first go round.

• Like 2

ADHD often comes with low processing speed, and yes, that's how it would look. Unfortunately, ADHD is often accompanied by depression by high school. Evals are in order and I would definitely watch on the depression front. 

We've had book threads for ADHD and there are lots of good ones. I would start reading. Halloway is especially good and anything about "executive function" like Smart but Scattered...

Hold it, she's in the ps? I would get private evals and use that paper trail to get her a 504. If she has SLDs, they would do an IEP. For ADHD, no SLDs, they'll do a 504. They'll give her extended time on tests and more supports. There are definitely things they can do for her, and that paper trail can help her with accommodations in college too. My dd is using accommodations for her ADHD in college and it's vital. She's very, very slow, like your dd. Not only did it get her classroom and testing accommodations, but we also got her documentation to be in a room with less people. 

Edited by OhElizabeth
  • Like 2

You wrote that 'she cannot sustain attention', and that 'she gets distracted'. Which is strong indication of ADD.

It could be well worth getting an evaluation for ADD, and starting a trial of medications.

If the medications enable her to sustain attention, and not have to read the same line over and over?

Then you have the answer, and a solution.

• Like 1

Thank you all.  She is more than willing to get evaluated.  I have the dyslexic kid - he is why I started homeschooling.  He improved by the time he reached high school.  He could read above grade level by then and he was able to advocate for himself.

She is getting worse, with honors and AP classes and the stresses of college.  

Thank you for encouraging me.  I will call make the appointment and read, read, read.

Shout out to all of you for helping me 8 years ago, when I started this journey.  DS is now 21 and thriving at college.  He is happy and strong.  Exactly the way we want our kids!

• Like 3

Some kids hit the wall with LD's in second grade. With gifted people, it can take longer to hit a wall. I knew one young lady who managed just fine in high school and college with the coping techniques she'd developed on her own, but when she got to law school, finally got evaluated and meds made a significant difference for her. It sounds like your DD has hit the wall and it's time for evaluations.

• Like 3