Menu

What is your middle school child doing for Latin?

wehave8

I'l start...

We did SSL years ago.

We are doing GSWS now, but I really want to go back to Latin.

I have bought and sold PL and LfC more than once.  :(

I am REALLY looking for reviews of LL!

Pam

My current middle schooler isn’t doing Latin because he hated it so I let him quit last year. 

My oldest did Lively Latin Book 1 and 2. We started young. I can’t even remember why at this point...I was an overzealous homeschooler, probably. But he actually really loves Latin and it’s a good fit for him. We started in 3rd grade and he did LL Books 1 and 2 over 5 years (through 7th grade). We went slower at the beginning. My youngest is doing LL Book 1 now and also really loves it. My middle son did LL Book 1 and didn’t like it but he’s a different kiddo and really just doesn’t like much of anything school related. He got enough in that I felt like he had a good foundation for vocabulary and it helped reinforce grammar. He is trying Greek this year at his own choosing. 

As far as LL...we really liked it. I found it very easy to teach as someone who had not had Latin myself except for one year in 8th grade about a million years ago. My oldest really loved the history so we read all of it and incorporated it into the lessons. My next two didn’t so we just skipped those pages. Oldest has continued with Latin through Lukeion. He did Latin I last year and I think found it fairly easy after LL. That was a nice experience for his first real online class. He did very well in the class and on the NLE. He’s finding Latin II much more challenging this year but is hanging in there and doing well. Overall, I’m pleased with the foundation he got from LL. 

It’s a bit pricey, but one nice thing is that once you’ve paid for it you have access to print out for as many kids as you want (in your family). So we paid for oldest and then have been able to print out the pages for the next two. I like printing myself as that enabled me to skip the history pages for my kids that didn’t want to do them. 

• Like 2

My older two are finishing BBoLL 2 in about 5 weeks (7th grade). That will be the end of Latin for them since we are also studying Spanish and German and running out of hours in the day.

My younger dd is starting GSWL in 3rd, and will move into BBoLL for the next 3 or so years. We like BBoLL for a lot of the reasons Alice mentioned.

• Like 1

We do Memoria Press all the way through. 

So my now 8th grader is in Third Form. 

She started with PL in 3rd grade, LCI in 4th grade, LCII in 5th grade, First Form in 6th grade, Second Form in 7th grade, and now in 8th is in Third Form.  We will do Fourth Form probably over 2 years for her in 9-10th, and she will be done with Latin and have her 2 credits. 

My last middle schooler did the same, but we didn't do LCII, so she hit everything after 4th grade a year earlier. She did Fourth Form over 8th and 9th grade and will do Henle II over this year for 10th and probably will do the Memoria Press AP class online next year for 11th... that is the way I am leaning now. Then if she wants another year of Latin we could pick up Henle III to get Cicero in for her senior year. 

• Like 1

My older two are finishing BBoLL 2 in about 5 weeks (7th grade). That will be the end of Latin for them since we are also studying Spanish and German and running out of hours in the day.

My younger dd is starting GSWL in 3rd, and will move into BBoLL for the next 3 or so years. We like BBoLL for a lot of the reasons Alice mentioned.

I haven't read what ages LL is for.  Would it suit a somewhat slower learner 8th grader who only did SSL years ago?

Can 10, 12, and 14 year olds do it together?  Or would it be better to do the 10 yo in GSWL first?

Pam

I don't know what ages she advertises it for - but generally middle grades, so I think those ages would be fine. Mine are 12.5 and started at about 10. The two books together are equivalent to a first year high school class. My twins do the lessons together and can discuss differences. In your case, if their personalities are up for it I would definitely keep all three in the same curriculum.

I highly recommend figuring out Anki for the flashcards. I set up a deck for myself and then add new cards to it, export those and then import them into each child's. It is tedious but only had to be done about once a month. In the meantime each child can study vocabulary independently. We started with the paper flashcards and it was a mess.

I don't know what ages she advertises it for - but generally middle grades, so I think those ages would be fine. Mine are 12.5 and started at about 10. The two books together are equivalent to a first year high school class. My twins do the lessons together and can discuss differences. In your case, if their personalities are up for it I would definitely keep all three in the same curriculum.

I highly recommend figuring out Anki for the flashcards. I set up a deck for myself and then add new cards to it, export those and then import them into each child's. It is tedious but only had to be done about once a month. In the meantime each child can study vocabulary independently. We started with the paper flashcards and it was a mess.

That sounds great!

I am going to check out the Anki....

Thanks!

Pam

We were going to do Latin but after discussing it with some folks from here, I realized that it really wasn't Latin/Greek I wanted my kids to know...it was an understanding of the root words and affixes so that they could apply that to vocabulary development, etc.  

In the end, I went with Word Roots.  It's a bit dry, so I think I'm going to add in some games like Rummy Root and maybe Word Root Bingo or some such.  

I did also purchase https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Greek-and-Latin-Roots-Interactive-Notebook-1521669?aref=wvm2bxn2 as well as https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Prefixes-and-Suffixes-Interactive-Notebook-2207125 and my kids have begun to assemble INBs which I'm hoping will help with review and practice.  

Do you purchase the book and CD or the CD only?

If you print your own pages, are there a lot of pictures throughout the book?  I can only see samples for the 2 lessons/book.

I don't want to spend a fortune on toner.  :)

Pam

We were going to do Latin but after discussing it with some folks from here, I realized that it really wasn't Latin/Greek I wanted my kids to know...it was an understanding of the root words and affixes so that they could apply that to vocabulary development, etc.  

In the end, I went with Word Roots.  It's a bit dry, so I think I'm going to add in some games like Rummy Root and maybe Word Root Bingo or some such.  

I did also purchase https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Greek-and-Latin-Roots-Interactive-Notebook-1521669?aref=wvm2bxn2 as well as https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Prefixes-and-Suffixes-Interactive-Notebook-2207125 and my kids have begun to assemble INBs which I'm hoping will help with review and practice.  

Good thought!

Pam

Do you purchase the book and CD or the CD only?

If you print your own pages, are there a lot of pictures throughout the book? I can only see samples for the 2 lessons/book.

I don't want to spend a fortune on toner. :)

Pam

I bought the pdfs (individually) and print on demand. There are a TON of pictures. Most are cartoons, but there are regularly reproductions of famous art work.

I don't know that the cd would be helpful, but I could see buying a paper copy of the book if that were cheaper than printing. We use only the printed out pages, the solution manual online, and her .mp3s of vocabulary pronunciation.

• Like 1

I bought the pdfs (individually) and print on demand. There are a TON of pictures. Most are cartoons, but there are regularly reproductions of famous art work.

I don't know that the cd would be helpful, but I could see buying a paper copy of the book if that were cheaper than printing. We use only the printed out pages, the solution manual online, and her .mp3s of vocabulary pronunciation.

If you get the pdf only, do you get EVERYTHING that you would get on the CD, even the mp3 (through download) and video access?

It looks like that is what they are saying on the web site, but I want to make sure.

Pam

If you get the pdf only, do you get EVERYTHING that you would get on the CD, even the mp3 (through download) and video access?

It looks like that is what they are saying on the web site, but I want to make sure.

Pam

That is what it looks like to me. I log in for the mp3s. We've never used the video lessons so I don't pay then much attention. There are also a few games (limited and repetitious).

Magistra Drown has been responsive when I have had occasion to email her if you want any more details then my vague recollections. Haha.

My 6th grader is doing LA 1 after having done GSWL and most of LP 1. She's not hit much in the first 7 weeks that she hasn't already learned.

FWIW, my 4th grader is doing LFC A after most of GSWL and I'm not seeing anything amazing. It's a lot of vocabulary memory, which he stinks at. He needs to use the words for them to stick.

• Like 1

Three students here -- 7th, 5th, and 5th. We did Latin for several years, but made the decision this year to drop it and focus our language studies on French. It took a full schedule in everything else for me to realize that not doing Latin was a viable option for us. We may come back to it at some point, but even if we never do, our time in the language was well-spent. HTH.

Edited by Sahamamama2

My 4th and 9th grade girls are on Levels I & II of Artes Latinae. I've never seen a Latin program I thought superior. It was designed in the '50s according to Dr. Waldo Sweet's theory of teaching Latin using structural grammar concepts.

All three girls enjoy(ed) it. Most importantly, Great Girl can now read Latin, and Middle Girl is almost there. It was pricey, but not so much when divided by three children.

Unfortunately, Bolchazy-Carducci owns the rights but no longer makes it available for sale. They failed to upgrade the cd-roms/dvds for so long that a used set is unusable on any modern system (Windows 8 or later). We keep an antique computer in the corner that has no purpose other than Latin.

• Like 2

My 4th and 9th grade girls are on Levels I & II of Artes Latinae. I've never seen a Latin program I thought superior. It was designed in the '50s according to Dr. Waldo Sweet's theory of teaching Latin using structural grammar concepts.

All three girls enjoy(ed) it. Most importantly, Great Girl can now read Latin, and Middle Girl is almost there. It was pricey, but not so much when divided by three children.

Unfortunately, Bolchazy-Carducci owns the rights but no longer makes it available for sale. They failed to upgrade the cd-roms/dvds for so long that a used set is unusable on any modern system (Windows 8 or later). We keep an antique computer in the corner that has no purpose other than Latin.

That is so funny!  I was going to ask if anyone had ever heard of Artes Latinae.

That is the only Latin program I knew of when our oldest 5 were homeschooling.  I knew nothing about classical education, etc., back then. We only toyed around with AL, and I sold it eons ago.  We had cassette tapes that went with it.  :)

I actually know someone who probably still has it.  I am going to call her!

Pam

• Like 1

DD/12th and DS/grade used Latin Alive! from Classical Academic Press in middle school and we all loved it. I would absolutely pick it up again if we get back into Latin. Before that they'd used Latin for Children also from CAP.

(Somewhere along the road we thought we were awesome enough to add Spanish. Well, neither Spanish or Latin got served very well that year and we had to choose. Spanish won. I would like to get into Latin again, but not at the expense of other endeavors. Someday.)

DD/12th and DS/grade used Latin Alive! from Classical Academic Press in middle school and we all loved it. I would absolutely pick it up again if we get back into Latin. Before that they'd used Latin for Children also from CAP.

(Somewhere along the road we thought we were awesome enough to add Spanish. Well, neither Spanish or Latin got served very well that year and we had to choose. Spanish won. I would like to get into Latin again, but not at the expense of other endeavors. Someday.)

I bought and sold LFC, and we are doing LL instead.  If we make it through LL2, what would we do after that?

I was thinking of LA, but I'll need to look at the TOC to see what is taught....unless someone has that all figured out.  :)

Pam

We aren't going yo continue our Latin studies after BBoLL, but if I did I was planning to go into a high school program like Wheelock's or Henle - although there must be more, perhaps more user friendly, maybe Latin Book 1 which had answers and an active online community?

Anyway, I feel like a year of review and reinforcement at high school pace would set up students for success. Also, we would have been doing that year in 8th grade, so no pressure to progress.

• Like 1

DD is eighth grade and we are on track to finish Familia Romana (Lingua Latina Per Se Illustrata by Orberg) in January (currently on chapter 32 of 35 chapters). We have used it for the last 4 years. I expect us to continue with the next book by Orberg, Roma Aeterna. Prior to Familia Romana, we used I Speak Latin. We have been very happy with Lingua Latina.