Menu

After 9 days of a vegetarian diet...

Ann.without.an.e

What do you get at Chic Fil A? We went the other day and while I picked up something for my son and his girlfriend, I didn't get anything for me because I thought it would be a useless quest at a chicken joint.

Here's their vegan menu.http://menus.urbantastebud.com/chick-fil-a-vegan-menu/

I just order like "I'll have the flax seed veggie wrap. Please put all the vegetables and fruit in there, no cheese, with raspberry vinaigrette" and I'll have the fruit cup, waffle fries, and a lemonade.

• Like 2

What do you get at Chic Fil A? We went the other day and while I picked up something for my son and his girlfriend, I didn't get anything for me because I thought it would be a useless quest at a chicken joint.

My dd has been vegetarian since she was 5 (and she is 15 now) and Chick fil a is one of her favorites.  You just have to know how to order and sometimes explain it to them.  You say "Can you red flag an order for me? I want a whole wheat bun, lettuce, tomato, cheese (not if you are vegan though) and extra pickles".  They will add up the ingredients as individual add ons and it comes to like 60 cents.  She loves that with their honey mustard and fries.  I don't eat gluten so I have no idea what I would eat there.

Edited by Attolia
  • Like 2

Lies. I've tried all of them, even the special barista ones you have to order from weird places. Didn't like any of them, at all.  Best thing I found that was non dairy was coconut milk from a can, the kind you cook with. It at least had decent mouth feel. But nothing is anything like actual cream when it comes to coffee. 

To be honest, I was dairy free before I was a coffee drinker (a bazillion years ago) so I can't compare it to real dairy cream.  I remember when there weren't any replacement options. I just know that I didn't like the dairy free creamers at one time and I do now.  

I was dairy free before it was cool.  I remember when you couldn't even find dairy free butter in any form in the standard grocer. I had to find a small organic grocery and they had one brand.  Now there is Earth balance (we use) and melt and a few other bands.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

We were watching some food documentaries(What the Health and In Defense of Food) yesterday and I thought of you. I was wondering how it's going?

Your post was the final inspiration I needed to tweak my diet (because I wasn't feeling well anyway I might as well change things up), although not 100% vegetarian I'm focusing much more on plants and eating vegetarian meals several times a week. I've thought for awhile we were eating too much meat but had a hard time feeling satisfied with less. I also know that I feel best the more fresh food I eat. But I'm not up for any super restrictive diet or food rules, btdt. I've been looking at veg recipes, Mediterrean recipes, Ethnic recipes etc. 

I watched most of Pollan's In Defense of Food with the family, dh packed his lunch afterward, asking me about the fiber content of various foods. 

• Like 2

Lies. I've tried all of them, even the special barista ones you have to order from weird places. Didn't like any of them, at all.  Best thing I found that was non dairy was coconut milk from a can, the kind you cook with. It at least had decent mouth feel. But nothing is anything like actual cream when it comes to coffee. 

Agreed.  I find all of them very watery and tasteless. 

I bought a container of Almond milk once and one of my kids loves it so now it's become a regular thing for him.  I don't get the allure of that stuff either. 

I've tried making coconut ice cream.  TERRIBLE.  Ugh..  Gawd.  LOL  And I love the taste of coconut anything.  It just was not good.

• Like 1

I've tried making coconut ice cream.  

Have you tried buying Coconut Bliss?  or the new Ben &  Jerry's vegan ice cream? 

Just to try how good it can be. 

Veg*n cooking and baking requires a change in techniques (in addition to sometimes a change in palate).  The rewards IMO are so totally worth it that there's no looking back for us. (The suffering of dairy cows - TERRIBLE)  

• Like 3

Have you tried buying Coconut Bliss?  or the new Ben &  Jerry's vegan ice cream? 

Veg*n cooking and baking requires a change in techniques (in addition to sometimes a change in palate).  The rewards IMO are so totally worth it that there's no looking back for us. (The suffering of dairy cows - TERRIBLE)  

Of course not.  That stuff has way too much sugar in it. 

• Like 1

I was so excited to see Ben & Jerry's dairy free ice cream but found it too sweet for me. I do like So Delicious and Coconut Bliss though.

I've been having Califia Farms almonder creamer in my tea, you may not like the taste but I don't think thin and watery is an apt description at all. I'm at the bottom of the container and it is way thicker than dairy cream.

• Like 2

I was so excited to see Ben & Jerry's dairy free ice cream but found it too sweet for me. I do like So Delicious and Coconut Bliss though.

I've been having Califia Farms almonder creamer in my tea, you may not like the taste but I don't think thin and watery is an apt description at all. I'm at the bottom of the container and it is way thicker than dairy cream.

I wouldn't mind trying the So Delicious, but they want $6 for a pint so...uhhhh no.  LOL  If I see it on sale maybe.

• Like 2

I like Nada Moo (It is generally $6/pint, but we buy ice cream maybe once a month, so not a big deal).  We also split a pint between the 8 of us.  I also like some cashew milk ice cream if it is in root beer, like a float.  

What I've been craving recently is a hot fudge brownie sundae with the whipped cream and the nuts and the cherry and everything.  Unfortunately making something like that is a massive time investment so I am thinking maybe for Thanksgiving.

The Califa farms stuff is as good as it gets but you can taste the almond/coconut.  

hornblower, I tried that cheddar cheese from miyoko and it was kind of good but also kind of tasted like feet.  My 2 year old loved it, though.  

Overall the kids have no objection to non-dairy things; except for my 12 year old, they haven't had (or were too young to remember) real dairy. 

There is a semi-local farm that lets the mama cows stay with the baby cows until they are naturally weaned, and raises the male calves for meat (not veal), so they don't kill the male calves or separate baby cow from mama cow in order to take her milk - they just milk her first thing in the morning, sort of taking milk alongside.

Of course the milk costs a small fortune, but it would be a luxury product for us anyway.  I am considering it, but to be honest I don't know that it's worth the trouble and I think we might be lactose intolerant by now.  

• Like 3

I like Nada Moo (It is generally $6/pint, but we buy ice cream maybe once a month, so not a big deal).  We also split a pint between the 8 of us. 

So 8 of you share one pint of ice cream?  LOL  I could eat a pint in one sitting.  I am pretty good at controlling myself so I don't, but if I buy one pint, the four of us would be pretty pissed off to have to share it. 

"all the omnivores I know are fat or sick or both"

Seriously guys. Wth. 

Thanks.  I successfully resisted the urge......

I have been vegetarian for over 20 years and vegan for 5 of that.  I rarely eat pasta or bread nor am I "hugely fat or thin."  Sheesh.  What rock are you people living under?!?!

• Like 3

So 8 of you share one pint of ice cream?  LOL  I could eat a pint in one sitting.  I am pretty good at controlling myself so I don't, but if I buy one pint, the four of us would be pretty pissed off to have to share it. 

Well to be fair, 4 of us are age 6 and under, and DH doesn't like ice cream much.  :)

But yes, it's more like people who eat a square of dark chocolate than people who eat a chocolate bar.  

Lest you think I'm virtue-signalling, the 8 of us will also polish off 4 boxes of cookies in 15 minutes.  I myself could eat a box of cookies for every meal.

Edited by eternalsummer
  • Like 2

Thanks.  I successfully resisted the urge......

I have been vegetarian for over 20 years and vegan for 5 of that.  I rarely eat pasta or bread nor am I "hugely fat or thin."  Sheesh.  What rock are you people living under?!?!

I didn't really think people bought into that nonsense anymore and totally not my experience with the vegans I know.

I'm a healthy vegan. I eat a wide range of foods and tons of vegetables because I love them...always have; even before my vegan days. Same for my kids.

• Like 1

My dd has been vegetarian since she was 5 (and she is 15 now) and Chick fil a is one of her favorites.  You just have to know how to order and sometimes explain it to them.  You say "Can you red flag an order for me? I want a whole wheat bun, lettuce, tomato, cheese (not if you are vegan though) and extra pickles".  They will add up the ingredients as individual add ons and it comes to like 60 cents.  She loves that with their honey mustard and fries.  I don't eat gluten so I have no idea what I would eat there.

They do have gluten free buns.  There's an upcharge - maybe $1.60?, so you could have a grilled chicken sandwich and fries, and the bun is wrapped in plastic to prevent cross contamination, so you have to assemble it yourself.  I usually just opt for grilled nuggets and fries because the buns are a bit stale. Their salads are also very good, but you have to go to the menu on your phone because usually only one or two salad options is gluten free.

I like Nada Moo (It is generally $6/pint, but we buy ice cream maybe once a month, so not a big deal). We also split a pint between the 8 of us. I also like some cashew milk ice cream if it is in root beer, like a float.

I have suffered through dairy free ice creams for 25+ years.

Nada Moo is the best ever!!!!!

I can only buy one pint at a time because I can eat it to my hearts content and never get sick. There is no sharing though!

• Like 1

I eat a wide range of foods and tons of vegetables because I love them...always have; even before my vegan days. Same for my kids.

How many?

Not because I'm picking, but because dd and I spent a few weeks graphing the amount of different plant foods we'd managed to eat in one day. It was more interesting than graphing how many people in our house walked v drove to school.  :laugh:

Thanks. I successfully resisted the urge......

I have been vegetarian for over 20 years and vegan for 5 of that. I rarely eat pasta or bread nor am I "hugely fat or thin." Sheesh. What rock are you people living under?!?!

My husband, adult son, and I have been vegan for a decade+, and we are all normal bmis.

Why do I feel I have to defend myself for not eating animals? It's so bizarre.

• Like 4

Joining in late, but I’ve enjoyed this thread. I went vegan about two months ago, and it has been great. The severity and frequency of my migraines has been significantly reduced, allergy symptoms also less troubling, my skin looks better, and I lost a few pounds. I’ve been so much more satisfied with the diet than I ever could have imagined — I was a low-carber and sworn carnivore for twelve years, and never would have thought I could be happy eating this way. But I love my diet so much more now. Every meal is a joy.

/random musing-

I suddenly remembered this paper I read about the connection between Neu5Gc (linked to mammalian meat) and Hashimoto's. I tried for a bit to swear off mammalian meat but was not successful. Anyway, I find it interesting.

http://perfecthealthdiet.com/2015/02/neu5gc-autoimmunity-hashimotos-hypothyroidism/

Thanks for posting this!

• Like 5

How many?

Not because I'm picking, but because dd and I spent a few weeks graphing the amount of different plant foods we'd managed to eat in one day. It was more interesting than graphing how many people in our house walked v drove to school.  :laugh:

I roughly follow McDougall's starch-based eating. So, each meal is usually a starch with vegetables/ no added oils.

I love vegetable soup year-round. This week's soup has cabbage, onions, green beans, peas, mushrooms, tomatoes, corn, carrots, spinach and hominy. I eat if for breakfast because I don't care for breakfast foods. Ds asks for oatmeal most days with blueberries or strawberries and a banana on the side. 

A frequent dinner is cauliflower curry over jasmine rice (the curry includes onions, bell peppers,tomatoes, cauliflower, garbanzo/chickpeas and something green).  I prefer green curry but we eat different variations.

Lunch this week was a hummus sandwich with lettuce, tomato, bell pepper, cucumber and banana peppers (and fruit). This was an easy lunch to pack to eat in the car because we had several appointments this week. On the days we were home the kids had black bean/potato burritos with homemade salsa.

Tonight's dinner will probably be "fried" rice with lots of vegetables and spring rolls. The rolls have spinach, crispy baked tofu, cilantro, bell pepper, cucumber and avocado.

We adore spaghetti (Italian girl here) but it certainly isn't something we eat all the time.

A quick easy favorite of mine is simply broccoli or blanched kale over a potato; sometimes with sriracha, salsa, etc on top but I also eat plain potatoes. I think they're delicious. 

We also eat millet, barley, quinoa, all kinds of beans and lentils, etc. There's a baby on my lap or I'd check my pantry because I know I'm forgetting other grains.

I don't know any similar-sized families with grocery bills as low as ours. I don't buy specialty items or processed foods very often. Meat, dairy and processed/packaged foods really jack up food costs. I probably spend more on fresh salad items than other people but it's a luxury I don't mind because I'm still spending significantly less overall. Dry beans, rice, potatoes are all cheap, satiating foods (and no, we don't eat beans all the time :)) I buy a mix of fresh and frozen vegetables. I don't always make it to the store and I don't go every week if I'm busy. My kids are great about eating whatever is put in front of them.  :001_wub:

I'm glad you asked, Rosie. I am passionate about providing healthy, satisfying meals for my family but we eat pretty simply. I don't have time for complicated meals. 

• Like 5