Menu

Would you list church involvement in the activities section of the Common App?

bookfiend

I haven't used the common app, but when my kids applied we did use some of their church actiivites. Maybe look at their activities and break them down into community volunteerism, leadership, planning of events,and whatever the role or tasks they completed ect...instead of just a general category.

• Like 1

Sure.  My kids mentioned time spent in youth group, work in the sound booth, and volunteer work (not only work done at/for church like VBS or yard work, but also youth group volunteer work like volunteering at Fisher House or other local charities as part of the church).  They also listed time spent as work staff at a faith affiliated family camp.  

• Like 2

Absolutely.  My ds was an altar server every Sunday for 3 yrs.  That was a huge commitment.  All of my kids have included volunteer service like Legion of Mary where they committed to 1 hr of volunteering with the homebound or the elderly per week.  I am of the mindset that if they don't want openly Christian students, then we don't want our kids to attend there.

• Like 1

For me, it would depend on the extent of the involvement. If it's just being a member of the youth group, then no. But altar server or some other sort of leadership position I would put on.

I think even being just a member of a youth group is as relevant as being just a member of French club or an ecology club.

• Like 5

We didn't use the Common App, but we did list church related activities among activities. Both my kids played in a youth worship band, they went on mission trips, and did local community service as part of their youth group. Just because activities are Christian, doesn't make them invalid. They show social skills, community awareness, and leadership, just like secular activities do. I think college admissions is capable of seeing that, and as 8 said, any that would be prejudiced against a student for being Christian, weren't going to be a good fit anyway. 

I started looking at the activities section as less of a "levels of greatness list"  and began considering where does my son spend his time?  He spends a great deal of it at church, in service/youth group/Bible Study.  These activities are not necessarily leadership, but they do account for a significant weekly commitment.  He volunteers in the community and goes on missions through an church organization called Carpenters for Christ, and I've already detailed those contributions.  

I'm talking about just the time spent at church.

Likewise, he spends time at our local speech and debate club. This time is an activity, but separate from awards won/being a Student Leader, coaching, etc.  

Guess I'm wondering what is the purpose/goal of the "activities" section?  Is it more to highlight achievements outside of academic honors - or also to account for their time and interests?

Edited by bookfiend

We did (though it was on individual applications since her schools don't use the common app). In addition to youth group activities, our director of religious education is one of her recommenders and her work experience is her new paid job in the church nursery.

ETA: In our case, it is also a bit of a screening process in whether the school will be a good fit, since we specifically list that it's Unitarian Universalist, which is not a Christian church. It goes along with my daughter listing her involvement in LGBT groups and, at least in some essays, mentioning being Neopagan. Better to get that out of the way if it's going to be a major issue. Of course, we've also already done as much vetting as we can to be sure the school is welcoming and diverse. It wouldn't work to have to try to fly under the radar and pretend to be something she isn't for four years.

Edited by KarenNC

...  I am of the mindset that if they don't want openly Christian students, then we don't want our kids to attend there.

.. as 8 said, any that would be prejudiced against a student for being Christian, weren't going to be a good fit anyway. 

Given that we are a majority Christian country, I can't imagine a school that would think that being Christian was a negative.  

(Unless, of course, the student is applying to be a bio major at a secular school, and they list "President of the Anti-Evolution Club" or something on their app.  In which case, obviously not a good fit!)  Even in the diverse northeast, many of the college-prep private high schools, which attract good students, have a Christian religious component to their mission, and thus to their activities and curriculum.  Students from these schools generally are well-regarded by college admission decision-makers.

As to whether to list the non-leadership weekly activities, I think they fit with the story you are telling.  The student is a regular participant in his religious community (as well as speech/debate club), and through that participation he has had the opportunity to do larger projects of shorter duration (mission trips, etc.).  That is, the weekly activities are the foundation on which the more "special" activities/accomplishments have rested.

For my kids' apps, we covered the basics of their "story" through weekly activities, and showed the growth and increasing levels of responsibility and accomplishment through awards, leadership roles, and special projects. 

Guess I'm wondering what is the purpose/goal of the "activities" section?  Is it more to highlight achievements outside of academic honors - or also to account for their time and interests?

Certainly to account for time and interests. This is the "holistic" part of the admissions process.