Menu

Best standardized/assessment tests for a 6th grader

I did the ITBS through BJU at home last year for dd. Paper.

I was pleased with the thoroughness of both the test itself and the way the results were communicated/interpreted. 

Dd thought that the test was more challenging than the Terra Nova ones she has taken previously with our umbrella school. I don't know if that is just a 6th grade jump or an actual difference in the tests.

ETA: We did the CogAT too. 

Edited by ScoutTN
  • Like 2

If they are ahead or asynchronous, I prefer the letsgolearn tests, computer adaptive, adapts questions and tests up to 12th grade level in language arts and up to 7th grade level in math.  Then, they have separate tests for pre-algebra & algebra.

https://www.letsgolearn.com/lglsite/assessments/

The ITBS is what I started with, then moved to the letsgolearn test, then we switched to practice ACT test as end of year testing, but we have never lived in a state that required testing, I do for my own info and to have them practice taking tests.

• Like 1

Would this be the first time she's taken a standardized test? If so, make sure at some point in the weeks leading up to the test that she practices filling in circles for answers and testing with a time limit. Both can throw kids who aren't used to them.

I like the ITBS plus CogAT. The interpretation of the CogAT in light of the regular ITBS can be helpful. If you do that, be sure to let your dc practice ahead of time with the sample booklet for the CogAT and take it when fresh, not right after taking the other test.

• Like 2

Brewer Testing is an online testing service that offers several different tests.  We have gone through them to take the SAT 10 several times without problem and have received scores promptly.  The SAT 10 is supposedly going away at some point, but our homeschool group used it when we first wanted to test several years ago, so we stuck with it for comparison's sake.  As far as I know it's the only untimed standardized test.  

• Like 1