Menu

Bare Minimum for HWOT

Stibalfamily

We used the practice book and the magnet board. We could get away without the magnet board.

But it does depend on your child. Some children need more reinforcement.

I did buy the teacher manual, used it for one lesson and never looked at it again. If you could flip through someone else's you'd probably be fine.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

The Teacher's Manual (and I'm not positive now if it was the one for K or 1st grade) is where a lot of instruction is. You can see a visual of the letter in the workbook and know where to start--but the TM has cute stories and teaching suggestions (like a little story about "catching George" with the tail of the G, and not to leave a big garbage can in the middle of your m--just enough room for a Hershey's Kiss.) The stories and teaching ideas really made the program (and the letter formation) memorable for my kids. We didn't have money for the wooden pieces (would have been fun though)--but I felt the TM was valuable for at least one level. Once you know the formation and just want practice, then go with just the workbook.

When I started reading here when DS was little it seemed like HWT was the way to go because everyone was using it but I didn't like it. It's really meant for a brick and mortar school setting imo. I did not think it was worth the price. There is very little practice for each letter. With DS I bought the manuals and workbooks and he did the pre-k through 1st books by K. Even though it wouldn't cost very much to buy new workbooks to use with DD I am not going to bother since I really don't think there's much to the program. With DS he needed more practice with letter formation so I got him Kumon books and I found that was much more helpful because there was more practice per letter and review. For DD that's what I'm using now. I had also bought the CD for HWT but rarely used it and won't bother to try it this time. I had also bought the slate and the tracing version for DS which I can't say were very helpful or worth the price. It would probably be easier and definitely cheaper just to use an app for letter formation. If you want to give it a try start with less, like just the workbook, and don't spend too much (like I did!) before you decide if it's effective. If you want to start simply and cheaply use Kumon. It's very effective and super easy to use.

• Like 1