Menu

Any ideas for clothes for particular body type?

luvbug in Ohio

I'm running out of ideas! And clothes! I truly don't know where to go for help. I need to buy some clothes but every store where I've gone and tried some on, well, let's just say it was disastrous. I don't shop online, because even if I see something I like, I know once I get it, I'll hate how it looks on me. I don't even think I'm all that picky, but maybe I am. If anyone can point me in the right direction, I'd really appreciate it. Here's what I need

-I am short-5;2,top heavy, and will never have flat tummy again after having my children. My rear, along with the rest of me, is bigger than I'd like so I would never wear leggings or anything without a top that was long enough to cover it.  All of this right here makes shopping a little harder, imo.  Also, I don't wear tank tops in public. I'm just too heavy for that.

-I would like something modest.  I don't like how most tops these days are flimsy and see through, so you have to wear a tank top underneath. I am already too hot, so the layering of clothes makes me feel like I'm having a heat stroke. Not a pretty picture. 

-I would like something age appropriate. Ya know? I'm 45 now, I don't want to dress like a teenager, yet not like grandma either. I want pretty! 

-I have to keep an eye on the budget. Sale items are great. I can splurge only a little.

I'm feeling ready to cry, because I can't seem to find anything and I'm literally running out of clothes. I had to go to my son's basketball game the other night, and all I had to wear was some old stuff that I've had for...idk...maybe ten years now. I was hot, sweaty, uncomfortable, awkward, and miserable all evening. Ugh.

No suggestions, but watching this thread. I have sort of the same problems. I am short (only 5 ft), top heavy, padded too well around the middle now, with pretty much a bubble butt. All the clothes recommended for people shaped like me do not look good on someone my height. And the things for someone my height are all cutesy things that I don't like for my age (51). Hope you get some suggestions.

• Like 1

I am like that.

I find that I need kind of oversized tops.  The ones I get are usually from Nick and Zoe or Melissa McCartney.  I carefully pick ones that are not see through because I'm unwilling to have to use a tank underneath--just too hot.  I try for a slightly too big look so that they skim me rather than hug me.

Then I wear a narrow bottom under them--skinny jeans, leggings, or a just below the knee or knee length pencil skirt.  This is because wide over wide makes people look like Sherman tanks, but wide over narrow makes them look like there might be a body in there after all.

I try on a LOT of clothes to pick out just one thing, but once I get something, I wear it for a long time.  My clothes are not classic, but they are not stylish either--they are kind of timeless.  So they don't start to look dated before they wear out, years after I buy them.  

Edited by Carol in Cal.
  • Like 1

Do you have a Belks store near you? We don't but when traveling I went in there and found jeans that fit me. Looking around I thought "I could wear just about everything in here".....as a upper 40s mom who is overweight I understand where you are coming from. I just found they have cute, comfortable styles. I noticed a large petite section as well if you need that.

• Like 2

Thanks, ladies.

I'm going to look in to these suggestions. 

VaKim, that's it exactly. I don't want to a bunch of cutesy girly stuff! My nieces look cute in that, but then again they're 13 and younger. On someone my age, that would be just plain creepy, lol. I also have a problem where by the time I find something big enough around to fit my bust, the neckline is waaaay too low. Ugh. 

Carol in Cal, that Sherman tank look is kind of what I had going on the other night. Double ugh. I'll look into those stores you mentioned.

Solascriptura, I like how that sounds, although I'd probably ditch the belt. That's not an area I want to draw attention to, ykwim? Some cute jewelry and shoes, though? I could do that.

Ottakee, I don't have a Belks around here. I wish we did! I just recently realized that I should be buying petite. I used to ignore that section of the store, because I thought there ain't nothing petite about me! lol  

It's probably obvious I feel out of my element in a clothing store. I give up in despair, and end up buying shoes and purses instead, because I hate how I look in the mirror. I've even lost a large amount of weight in the last few years. And I think that's why I'm so unhappy now with how I look, in a weird way, because when I was heavier, I didn't look in the mirror at all. Now I'm actually trying. On a positive note though, I just realized I'm not 45, I'm only 43! I'll take it! lol  

• Like 2

Dress Barn.

I heard about it on this forum, and it was life changing. First, the shirts are not see through!!!! Seriously, everything at say, Target was paper thin. The shirts at Dress Barn were actual material, lol. 

Second, it is not skimpy. Not too young. 

Third, the salespeople will help you! It's not a huge store, so you don't get overwhelmed, and if you ask for help finding things that look good they will help you. They will put stuff in a dressing room for you too, so you can have it all there waiting when you are ready to try on, and if you need a different size they will get you one. 

Prices are not TJ Max low, but not Macy's high. And they do have clearance racks. And sales, coupons, etc. 

And their Secret Agent Pants help camouflage the tummy without being too tight or uncomfortable. 

• Like 5

Ktgrok, Thank you! It just so happens that I'll be right near a Dress Barn today, so I'm stopping in for sure! That sounds like the perfect place. Ohh, I'm so excited! Wouldn't that be awesome if I could find a few nice, well fitting outfits, so that at next Sunday's basketball game, I can show up looking comfortable and happy,(and not like a Sherman tank) and keep my mind more on my son's game which is what I want to do anyway???

Thank you again!

• Like 2

Ktgrok, Thank you! It just so happens that I'll be right near a Dress Barn today, so I'm stopping in for sure! That sounds like the perfect place. Ohh, I'm so excited! Wouldn't that be awesome if I could find a few nice, well fitting outfits, so that at next Sunday's basketball game, I can show up looking comfortable and happy,(and not like a Sherman tank) and keep my mind more on my son's game which is what I want to do anyway???

Thank you again!

Good luck!!! Definitely check the clearance rack!

And I take no credit, these forums get the credit, this is where I heard about it. I needed clothes for the writing conference I was going to and I am not sure I'll shop anywhere else again. I found slacks, capris, blouses, and formal dresses all in one place. AND accessories, lol. 

• Like 1

I'll agree with the recommendation for Dress Barn.

If you still need other options then I'd recommend Talbots or Chicos. Both are more expensive than Dress Barn, but the clothes will last forever (top quality clothes) and the fit is even better than Dress Barn for my body type (similar to yours).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I bought an outfit at the Dress Barn! Yay! It's cute as it can be. Dark grey leggings, and the cutest blue and gray top. I love it!  The clothes are my size in petite, well made, and modest, so I won't have to wear a tank underneath. 

And, I got them off the clearance rack. The pants and top together were just 30 dollars. I'll take it!  

I'll be on that side of town again in about 2 weeks or so, and fairly regular after that. If I can find a little something every time I'm there, I'll eventually get what I need, and all without blowing the budget.  Thanks Hive!

:party:  :cheers2:

• Like 3