Menu

Math in Focus 5A/5B-Typical routine, what to buy

TheAttachedMama

Hi Everyone,

Could you please share your typical routine with Math in Focus?   Does the book give you a suggested schedule?  Does the child read from the textbook, work example problems, and then do a practice each day similar to primary math (Singapore)?  

I can't tell from the samples how you are supposed to assign the program.  :)  

Also, how helpful are the answer keys?  Do they list just answers or provide explanations for more challenging problems?  

My oldest is doing MiF 5A/5B.

The TE provides pacing which tends to be what we follow since it works well for us. Most lessons consist of instruction, guided practice, lesson practice, and workbook assignments.

The TE has the Assessment 5 questions & answers, but you'd have to rewrite them to use them. They do come in handy if you need extra practice.

The workbook answers are in the TE along with the answers for guided practice & lesson practice. Mostly, they're good. The workbook answers show the answers worked out. The last lesson we did was difficult because there were no explanations on the lesson practice. Real-world fraction problems were my nemesis for about 30 minutes. That's the exception and not the rule, though.

I would definitely suggest splurging for the Teacher Editions instead of the Homeschool Answer Guide unless you're just really good at math. I'm not bad, but that last lesson was a killer.