Menu

Risks of rugby

Laura Corin

I grew up overseas, and even though I went to an American school (the only one in the country), we didn't have a "American" football team.  There would have been no-one to play against!  We had soccer and rugby.

Rugby was the "cool" sport and there were many, many injuries.

My son plays rugby (started at 16) His team is nationally ranked in the top 20 club teams (in the US) and in the last 3 seasons of play his team has had 2 concussions (from rugby) and many broken bones and stitches.   Here the kids don't begin playing contact rugby until high school.  Middle school is touch only.

It's interesting that they seem to be focusing primarily on school sports, leaving club sports alone for now. Aren't club sports a lot more common in Europe than sport sports for high level competition? This would seem to be the easy way to get a foot in the door, instead of trying to get in and make an impact on the most number of youth. 

Where they site Canada's ice hockey, this is definitely club teams as this is where the majority of children and youth play the sport. 

Edited by wintermom

It's interesting that they seem to be focusing primarily on school sports, leaving club sports alone for now. Aren't club sports a lot more common in Europe than sport sports for high level competition? This would seem to be the easy way to get a foot in the door, instead of trying to get in and make an impact on the most number of youth. 

Where they site Canada's ice hockey, this is definitely club teams as this is where the majority of children and youth play the sport. 

It's a question of what the medical officers can directly influece, I think.  Contact rugby could be banned in state schools by simple ministerial decision (I believe), whereas it would have to be made illegal to stop it at club level.

In recent years head injuries in general have gotten a lot of attention here in NZ.  Once or twice a year we seem to lose a young sportsman due to head injury complications.  Rugby, soccer, field hockey have all put out head injury policies.  Most of our sport is in club competitions with school competitions only for a week a year.  (school teams play in their local club competition during the normal season.)  As manager for one of our local premier mens field hockey teams I have had to deal with a variety of injuries, including head injuries.  Keeping a competitive player off the turf is very difficult.  I have had men jump back on as soon as they get a bandage on as they know we have a "No Blood" policy, but unless they were knocked out there isn't much to keep them from playing.  Rugby does seem to attract the most media attention, but hockey & soccer have some risk as well & reach a wide number of young players in our area.  No sport is with out risk.