Menu

DD fainted in the bathroom.

Okra

Dd, age sixteen, fainted tonight on the bathroom. Apparently, she hadn't been feeling great most of the day, but not awful either.

She went to take a shower, like she normally does before bed but passed out as she was getting out of the shower. She doesn't remember anything but waking up on the floor. We actually don't know for how long she was out either.

Apparently, she hit the back of her head because it is hurting.

And, I'm worried. She is fast asleep, so I don't think there is really anything to do right now.

But, how do I know when or if it is serious? I'm assuming I can let her sleep

until morning and then make an assessment?

I hate worrying about children. I also hate worrying about them when they are asleep.

Edited by Okra

I'm not certain about her blood pressure. That has never been on our radar before. But, it definitely is something to consider.

She was able to talk fairly clearly about what happened, but was super upset.

So, we just put cold pack on the back of her head and she is now asleep.

You should definitely go to urgent care. She fainted, which is already potentially serious, and then she hit her head.

As far as sleep and head injuries go, the current advice is that you can go to sleep normally, but you should be woken periodically to make sure that you do wake up and aren't abnormally groggy, disoriented, or hard to rouse. If the patient goes to sleep when they don't normally sleep, that's a big sign of something wrong, but it's not unhealthy to go to sleep at bedtime.

• Like 4

I used to get light headed very easily at that age, and anything out of the ordinary could make it worse -- a sickness coming on, hot weather, standing too long, and more.   If she wasn't feeling well beforehand, I'd assume it was some virus hitting her.  I think I'd wake her up every few hours to make sure she was okay, and reassess in the morning. 

I'd rather err on the side of caution.  Did you check her for concussion symptoms before she fell asleep? If you didn't, maybe you should wake her to check to see if her pupils are dilated or if they react normally to a sudden bright light (flashlight) by getting smaller.  See if she can walk around normally or if she has problems with balance or stumbling.  Be sure she can converse normally. If all seems well, ice her head again where it hurts and let her go back to sleep.  If there are problems, call your clinic's after-hours nurse or the ER to ask if she should be seen tonight.   

• Like 3

Does she tend to have low blood pressure? Sometimes a hot shower can actually lower blood pressure more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yup. This happened to me when I was around that age. Never hit my head though that I can remember.

If she has anything more than soreness in the morning, I'd call the pediatrician / doctor.

• Like 2

This happened to me all the time at this age and through college. Once was coming out of the shower just like that. I do tend to have low blood pressure, there was some hormonal influence because it happened roughly around the same time in my cycle, and fatigue was the major trigger. If I had to wake up early for something, I was pretty much guaranteed to throw up or faint. I grew out of the fainting by my mid twenties.

I fainted a lot as a teen as well.

In regard to he head hitting. Last month my brother fell over while picking up firewood. He came to 2 hours later, staggered to his house and went straight to bed and slept. He never sleeps during the day The next day hecalled in sick for work because his head was hurting so much. As he did the next day as well. The following day he hopped into his car to drive to work and realised he could not remember how to drive. He went to the doctor and found out he had a brain bleed. The dr.ticked him off sternly for not coming I straight away. Told him to NEVER sleep after concussion and could not believe he was still alive.

Edited by Melissa in Australia

DD woke up and started vomiting  at about 4:00 am.  I did check her pupils then and they were fine.  I made the decision to wait until morning and see how she was when fully awake.

So, this morning when she woke up, she seems much much better.  She reports that she feels better, her head does not hurt.  She is walking and talking fine.

I talked to the nurse at the pediatrician's office whose gut feeling is the same as mine, that most likely she is fine.  But, we do have an appointment in the early afternoon just to check things out with the Dr.

So, right now, I am thinking that DD had some stomach virus.  When she went to take the  hot shower something happened (low blood pressure, like Jean and Pawz and others suggested?) which caused her to pass out.  But, I am making a guess that she does not have a concussion.

Edited by Okra
  • Like 2

DD woke up and started vomiting at about 4:00 am. I did check her pupils then and they were fine. I made the decision to wait until morning and see how she was when fully awake.

So, this morning when she woke up, she seems much much better. She reports that she feels better, her head does not hurt. She is walking and talking fine.

I talked to the nurse at the pediatrician's office whose gut feeling is the same as mine, that most likely she is fine. But, we do have an appointment in the early afternoon just to check things out with the Dr.

So, right now, I am thinking that DD had some stomach virus. When she went to take the hot shower something happened (low blood pressure, like Jean and Pawz and others suggested?) which caused her to pass out. But, I am making a guess that she does not have a concussion.

Thank you for the update -- I hope everything goes well at the doctor and that your dd is fine.

I fainted a lot as a teen as well.

In regard to he head hitting. Last month my brother fell over while picking up firewood. He came to 2 hours later, staggered to his house and went straight to bed and slept. He never sleeps during the day The next day hecalled in sick for work because his head was hurting so much. As he did the next day as well. The following day he hopped into his car to drive to work and realised he could not remember how to drive. He went to the doctor and found out he had a brain bleed. The dr.ticked him off sternly for not coming I straight away. Told him to NEVER sleep after concussion and could not believe he was still alive.

:scared:  Wow! Glad he IS still alive!

OP, hope everything turns out okay for your daughter!

• Like 1

My girls and I all have blood pressure that can be on the low side. I fainted while kneeling in church as a teen, and I've passed out more than once after giving blood. My 17 yo had a stomach virus this summer and passed out in the bathroom. I think that tendency is normal for us. Hope your dd is much better today and that all goes well with the doctor.

In medical terms, she passed out, not fainted.  Fainting is when you feel weak and know you're going down.  Passing out is hitting the floor hard, without control.  Passing out is infinitely more dangerous than fainting. It isn't as likely to be caused by low blood pressure or a hot shower. Do not cancel the doctor appointment, and make sure if she has any more symptoms you take her to the ER.

Push fluids. When I was in chemo I once felt faint (thankfully I am not one of nearly every women on my mothers side that faints ALL the time) in the shower and they (the doctors) told me that it was common when people are on dehydrating chemo. I got a bag of fluids and I was fine after that. 

So I would REALLY push fluids with her and if she is refusing them, think about taking her in for a bag of fluids if nothing else. 

Good luck!

• Like 1