Menu

"Graduating" from martial arts

klmama

Recently, I've heard a couple of people mention their dc "graduating" from martial arts instruction when they meant their dc earned a black belt (and then quit). I've never heard of earning a black belt referred to in this way. I was taught that a black belt is really the START of a martial artist's studies, sort of like how learning to read, write, and do arithmetic are just the start of an education. Is this attitude of "graduating " or being done upon earning a black belt common?

Dh has been a martial arts instructor for 18 years and sadly it is an incredibly common sentiment among his black sashes, even though he emphasizes that it is only the beginning. Very few people who are not interested in being instructors continue after their black sashes from his experience.

• Like 2

When I took martial arts it was always emphasized that the black belt was just the beginning, however I think of it like your high school diploma. Not everyone is going to go on to college, grad school, or get their PH D, even if it is encouraged. Not everyone has the skills or the desire or motivation. For some people, black belt is just as far as they get and that is still a big accomplishment. For others, it is a lifestyle and that is just the beginning.

At our school it was a huge disappointment to my instructor if people quit after achieving black belt. That was extremely frowned upon. But people change, they get injured, they get busy, they go to college, etc...such is life. He took it pretty personally and didn't want anyone to still call themselves a black belt if they weren't in training. He preferred you to say you had earned a black belt. Which is different than 'being a black belt'.

Edited by CaliforniaDreaming
  • Like 1

The brand of World Tae Kwon Do we do doesn't reinforce that because black belts are earned in less that 5 years, so people understand it's just mastering the basics.  Weapons training doesn't start until black belt. Everyone goes on to black belt degree numbers because they're still kids/young teens.  There are college age and adult students in our TKD school too.

When you earn your black belt they serve cookies, then it's the beginning of sword training the next week.

• Like 1

When my son was in the black belt training program at his TKD school (this is the last step before testing) there were many parents who were surprised when they found out that I intend to continue driving my son to Tae Kwon Do classes even after the Black Belt Ceremony and the 6 month wait for the diploma. Common questions centered around how my son would be able to pursue a team sport in high school if he were still doing TKD. I told them that the skills he obtained so far were a stepping stone for him to start learning advanced martial arts. Sadly, many of those parents think that I have too much money and time to waste and hence spend my resources on advanced TKD study :(

The reality is that my son has miles to go before he reaches a reasonable level of proficiency (from my observation at the studios we have been to, the WTF-TKD 4th degree black belts are of a class that I hope my son can reach some day). In my area, TKD studios have "express black belt" programs where they guarantee a black belt to teens in 4 years so that they can graduate out of the black belt program and high school at the same time. Most people pursue this option. Most kids that I know pursue martial arts for 4-5 years, earn a black belt, call themselves a black belt in their resumes and never look back. But, I think that even 4-5 years of martial arts training is a good thing and am happy that so many of the local kids stick with it for the 4-5 years that it takes them to earn a black belt. 

We simply could not afford the cost after dd got her black belt about age 14.  She did keep do classes for a time, and enjoyed helping teach the lower rank belts (some grown-up folks - ever see a 90 lb girl flip a 160 lb adult on the mat?) and one summer a year after stopping we were able to send her for more training, but it has been years now.  She does toss cocky dudes who tease her on their butts - none expect it and it is funny (all done in good humor).  But I doubt she could really defend herself from a murderous thug now :-(     She would LOVE to have the time and money to continue martial arts but being a junior in college and working 20 hours a week kinda dominates her time.  Maybe someday.

Edited by JFSinIL

Mine were told that the black belt (Shodan) for them was just the beginning. In their martial art, they are expected to stay another year if they want their national credential and a year beyond that for the international one.

Sadly, their dojo shut down, and there isn't one in that art anywhere close. DS may join the one at his college, but he hasn't decided yet. 

Our dojo emphasized that black belt was only the beginning but sadly it did become a "graduation" for both of my children.

My daughter started TKD her freshman year of high school and got her black belt one month before high school graduation.  As an engineering major she had neither the time nor the money to continue studying TKD at college.

My son got his black belt at age 14 and was working toward a second degree as well as beginning to study Shishikhan when the dojo he was at closed. His instructor began teaching out of a families basement while trying to secure funding to start a new school.  We did that for a year. But at 15 my son was 6 feet tall and 200 lbs of pure muscle, the school was mainly 12 and under so there was no one for him to spare that was actually a challenge except the 6 ft 2 instructor and the two of them couldn't spar in someone's basement without taking out a wall.  We sadly left our beloved instructor to find another school that had some space and older students but on our area the TKD market is flooded with  after-school programs and the schools are full of children.  The schools that have adults really lean toward MMA which we were not interested in.  We finally found an adults-only Krav Maga school that auditioned him and allowed him to join due to his proficiency and size.  He has thrived there. I do feel a little bad that he never made it to 2nd degree.

Edited by Tania

I stayed in Taekwon-Do up to my 3rd degree black belt, and for sure the 1st degree is just the first platform for going deeper and further in the art/sport. Some factors that seemed to help keep students involved after their 1st degree was an established group to join (e.g., leadership team/assistant instructing, a special black belt class, a competition class).  That being said, reaching a 1st degree black belt is definitely a huge achievement and should be celebrated. 

There are all sorts of reasons that people drop out from sports and other activities at any given time. If they stay in and work hard long enough to achieve a black belt, that is wonderful, and it's great to have that recognized bench mark.  It's very similar in classical music as well. Lots of students stay in taking exams up to a certain point, and then go onto other pursuits. 

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 2