Menu

The I'm a bad mother question re: shoes...

PeterPan

The Shoes  

73 members have voted

1. 1. Would you buy him new shoes before the trip?

• Yes!
    • No, better to wear out what we already has since they still sorta fit.

Say your dc's shoes were all the way, like no more room to grow, and you were about to go walk a TON for a bunch of days. Would you go ahead and get him new shoes and put all those miles on the new shoes, or would you keep him in the current shoes? He's been wearing them and they fit. They're definitely not worn out, and they were really good shoes to start with (Nike's with added arch support inserts). So should I be getting him new shoes or can he wear these?

His toe is right at the end but he doesn't squeal to wear them. They just don't have that big, new shoe, room to grow look.

What say you? :)

PS. I added a poll so I can tally the results. :D

SaveSave

Edited by OhElizabeth

Both. It can be painful to walk in new shoes so I would rather use the current pair. However I would also get a new pair on standby just in case my kid’s feet grew by 1cm which has happened a few times in the past. We have also just asked our kids to do without socks on a road trip when their feet grew longer and the spare pair is at home.

• Like 7

Youngest will happily wear the same running shoes till his toes are poking out of holes. Because of our running group I take them to a running shoe store twice a week. At least ever few months they have a special event that you get a free goodie of some kind if you try on shoes and take them for a test run.

I now let the buy their own shoes. They get to decide when they want new shoes, and I just pay for them. I'm no longer keeping track of who shoes are tight or worn out. Last week Eldest told me his shoes were getting to tight. I just said, "next time we are at the store pick out some new ones." For some reason he is choosing to wait awhile before getting new ones. I'm not going to push him.

In your case I would talk to your kid about the pros and cons and then let them decide.

• Like 1

My dd, at that age, would wear her shoes until her toes turned red and blistery from being squished, and still never complain about them hurting.  Also, she has a tendency toward falling arches (a genetic problem), so good arch support is paramount in my opinion.  I would buy him new shoes because, even though he may not have a problem now, walking hours and hours in too-small shoes is asking for big problems soon.

• Like 2

I agree with taking two pairs, old and new. We've had shoes develop problems unexpectedly, so I think it's always good to have a back up pair.

Maybe you can have him wear the new pair for a day or two in advance and on the trip down, to get used to them. Then you can help him decide which ones to wear during your long days of walking.

You probably already have this covered, but we always take some moleskin and a small pair of scissors, so that we can cover any irritated areas on our feet. I also take plenty of bandages and also a small stick (looks like a tiny deodorant) of a chafing relief product. We cover any tender spots immediately, before they turn into blisters.

• Like 4

My dd, at that age, would wear her shoes until her toes turned red and blistery from being squished, and still never complain about them hurting.  Also, she has a tendency toward falling arches (a genetic problem), so good arch support is paramount in my opinion.  I would buy him new shoes because, even though he may not have a problem now, walking hours and hours in too-small shoes is asking for big problems soon.

This would be my hubby, too.  He was #4 of 6 kids and raised to not rock the boat or cause a fuss. 

If you are getting decent shoes like the old ones, not much of a breaking in time should be needed.   I keep replacing my running shoes (more arch support than walking shoes) every six months or so, and by sticking to Brooks or Asics I have never had a problem. 

• Like 1

Haven't read other replies. My vote is for new shoes. I've gone hiking with shoes that just fit. These were shoes that felt fine for running errands around town; no problems. But after hiking my feet--especially my big toe--really hurt. With long walks the toes will push into the front of the shoe more which will cause sore toes/feet at the end of the day.

• Like 5

Wearing them for daily use and wearing them for LOTS of hiking/walking not normally done are two VERY DIFFERENT scenarios.

If his toe is already touching the end then you should consider those shoes too small regardless of whatever wear-n-tear is or isn't 

present on the outside. Get him the new shoes PRIOR to the trip so he can wear them around a bit and they have a little chance of

conforming to his foot shape. But I definitely  vote for new shoes.

ETA: I commented before I read any of the responses. 

Edited by scrapbookbuzz
  • Like 1

I haven't seen anyone ask a vital question: exact what type of shoes are you inquiring about?

Are you asking about sneakers/tennis shoes/trainers or about hiking boots? If you're talking about the former,

there really shouldn't be a 'breaking in' period necessary, unless they're leather and then he may need to wear

them for a week or two before to get his feet used to them.

If you're talkign about the latter, then those will definitely require a breaking in period, and pairs of quality socks to wear in them!

Will you be hiking or walking on this trip?

• Like 2