Menu

Please dress me for a wedding

happypamama

DH and I are attending the wedding of some good friends in a few weeks. New England, afternoon wedding, probably not super formal but not super casual either. I'm not in the wedding. I haven't been to a wedding that I wasn't in in years and years. I never dress up formally. So I guess I need a dress. Preferably something not super expensive and that I could wear again to church or something. Dress is preferable to pants or skirt, I think. Needs to look good on a short woman who's had six kids but without making me look like I'm expecting a seventh yet.

I enjoy reading The Vivienne Files blog (no affiliation whatsoever). I looked quickly through her dress selection.

Take a look at this page. If this was me, I would wear the fifth outfit, but perhaps with slightly different shoes, a kitten heel or something. I would get a lot of wear out of the dress, which comes in many regular and petite sizes. I would not spend $250 on a scarf, but I would find a scarf with colors that suit me, probably something shimmery, and some inexpensive earrings and/or a bracelet to go with it.

http://www.theviviennefiles.com/2017/08/how-to-wear-sapphires-august-birthstone.html

• Like 1

I can't even dress myself! Ha. I will say, knowing your body type I wouldn't think any of the dresses in the post above would be flattering. For me, we aren't too far off body type, things like this are flattering https://m.rosewholesale.com/cheapest/plus-size-surplice-front-tie-1500342.html?lkid=477369&gclid=CjwKCAjw0qLOBRBUEiwAMG5xMOCR7QiwLRNh2jRjsUBSI4lZ0Ig01YR5lfOiMAjRr8Z_TK91YlNi7BoC6ZkQAvD_BwE

I don't have that actual dress and have no idea quality, was just looking for similar to what is in my closet.

• Like 2

These threads always scare me. I'm afraid an event will happen to me and I'm not sure I can come up with something that I like that fits and matches the occasion. Stitch Fix should do a Negligent Shopper box and just send people a box with a wedding outfit, a funeral outfit, and a catch-all shower-christening-bar mitzvah-symphony outfit.

ETA: Maybe the answer is to own a nice, gray wrap dress that you can accessorize for everything?

Edited by KungFuPanda
  • Like 12

These threads always scare me. I'm afraid an event will happen to me and I'm not sure I can come up with something that I like that fits and matches the occasion. Stitch Fix should do a Negligent Shopper box and just send people a box with a wedding outfit, a funeral outfit, and a catch-all shower-christening-bar mitzvah-symphony outfit.

ETA: Maybe the answer is to own a nice, gray wrap dress that you can accessorize for everything?

This is great, the Negligent Shopper.  :D

• Like 2

I really like these dresses:

https://www.karinadresses.com

A couple of the styles are longer, and I would about those if you are short. They advertise themselves as "a dress for every body," meaning they are flattering on many body types.

I think the are very feminine and flattering. I am particular fond of the Trudy, Ruby, and Megan. They travel like a dream - don't wrinkle. However, don't know how cool it will be where you are going?? You might need a little shrug or cardigan

• Like 4

I enjoy reading The Vivienne Files blog (no affiliation whatsoever). I looked quickly through her dress selection.

Take a look at this page. If this was me, I would wear the fifth outfit, but perhaps with slightly different shoes, a kitten heel or something. I would get a lot of wear out of the dress, which comes in many regular and petite sizes. I would not spend $250 on a scarf, but I would find a scarf with colors that suit me, probably something shimmery, and some inexpensive earrings and/or a bracelet to go with it.

http://www.theviviennefiles.com/2017/08/how-to-wear-sapphires-august-birthstone.html

I vote for the fifth outfit too!  (or at least a similar style)  I think a different color would be nicer though... maybe a burgundy or navy blue.

A couple of the styles are longer, and I would about those if you are short. They advertise themselves as "a dress for every body," meaning they are flattering on many body types.

I think the are very feminine and flattering. I am particular fond of the Trudy, Ruby, and Megan. They travel like a dream - don't wrinkle. However, don't know how cool it will be where you are going?? You might need a little shrug or cardigan

Cute dresses and I appreciate their "real people" models!

• Like 1

Okay, cute as the fifth one on the Vivienne Files blog is, I don't think it's going to work for me.  I ordered a couple from ModCloth, and while I like the dresses, one is too tight (but will be WAY too loose in the wrap-style V-neck top if I go up another size), and the other is too stretchy and flowy.  Stretchy makes me look like I'm pregnant or recently had a baby.  Which I did, but since I don't have a seven month old to take with me, people will assume I'm pregnant, and I really, really don't think I can handle having that particular conversation a thousand times.  So no knit dresses.  Not that a non-knit really looks much better, but it's got a slightly better chance at hiding my belly.  I'm depressed.

I'm checking out the Karina site now.  Thanks, ladies!

Edited by happypamama
  • Like 1

Thanks for posting this - they have some cute stuff!  I am looking for "packable", wrinkle-free clothes for travel so I'm very interested.  I was wondering if you could tell me:  does the waistband on the Ruby fall right at the waist or a little bit above?  I'm kind of a ruler/rectangle shape, thick-waisted.  And I've learned that dresses which have a "waistline" higher than waist look more flattering and feminine on me.  So I think the styles like the Trudy and Megan would definitely work, but I was curious about the Ruby because I love the look of wrap dresses, but normally can't pull them off.  In some of the pictures, however, it looks like it falls just above the waist on the models, which would be great if it fit that way on me as well.

• Like 2

What about something like a shift dress that glides over the midsection. These floral ones would be appropriate and the pattern helps to reduce the focus on any one area of your body;  floral short sleeve, long sleeve, with jacket. If this is too much pattern, you could also go with a black dress and some jewelry.

Edited by 3andme
  • Like 1

What about something like a shift dress that glides over the midsection. IThese floral ones would be appropriate and the pattern helps to reduce the focus on any one area of your body;  floral short sleeve, long sleeve, with jacket. If this is too much pattern, you could also go with a black dress and some jewelry.

I

I like a lot of those!

A few more options:

Elegant alternatives with flowing jackets: Navy Lace, Burgundy Dress (only in 14+).

More fitted but with flattering ruching.  illusion waist, or little black dress

On the sexier side but still flattering: Ruched dress.  high low dress , cold shoulder (watch videos below pictures)

More florals: Blue floral, popover floral, floral jacket, jazzy floral (scroll down to see actual customer in dress)

Thanks for posting this - they have some cute stuff! I am looking for "packable", wrinkle-free clothes for travel so I'm very interested. I was wondering if you could tell me: does the waistband on the Ruby fall right at the waist or a little bit above? I'm kind of a ruler/rectangle shape, thick-waisted. And I've learned that dresses which have a "waistline" higher than waist look more flattering and feminine on me. So I think the styles like the Trudy and Megan would definitely work, but I was curious about the Ruby because I love the look of wrap dresses, but normally can't pull them off. In some of the pictures, however, it looks like it falls just above the waist on the models, which would be great if it fit that way on me as well.

The Ruby waist is definitely higher (above the belly button). Even though it is shorter-waisted, it still works for me. The Trudy is longer waisted and is my personal favorite. The Megan is somewhere in between those two.

You can seriously wad them up in a ball. I took three to Napa a couple of years ago. I do find, however, that the solids *sometimes* show a few wrinkles. I have not purchased any of the ponte knit dresses, so I do not know how well they travel. I like the Jackie style, too!

Edited by Hoggirl

The Ruby waist is definitely higher (above the belly button). Even though it is shorter-waisted, it still works for me. The Trudy is longer waisted and is my personal favorite. The Megan is somewhere in between those two.

You can seriously wad them up in a ball. I took three to Napa a couple of years ago. I do find, however, that the solids *sometimes* show a few wrinkles. I have not purchased any of the ponte knit dresses, so I do not know how well they travel. I like the Jackie style, too!

Thank you, Cynthia, this is a huge help! I can’t wait to try one. :)

• Like 1