Menu

Making big changes: all at once or small chunks?

medawyn

I'm thinking voluntary lifestyle changes here, like diet or schedule.  Do you just go all in and make radical changes? Or do you set your desired end goal and break it into smaller pieces?  Does your approach change if it just affects you or affects kids/family, too?  What's worked for sustaining said change in your life?

Just pondering my options.

Depends on the kind of change.

Cutting bread? Cold turkey.

Cutting coffee? Slow weaning over a few days to avoid physical withdrawal symptoms.

Schedule? all at once, Not sure how I would "ease" into a schedule by bay steps.

Generally, if I feel I need to do xyz, I just do it.

But I am not sure what you call "big" changes. Obviously, a new job or a move can't be slowly phased in.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 1

Depends. I've had more success with baby steps - change/eliminate/add a little, then repeat until goal is reached.

But if it is for immediate health reasons, I'd do it all at once. Now, if the doctor advised a diet change (more fiber), I'd go slowly - for more reasons than one!

Usually the bigger changes require multiple steps to put into place.  For example, when our house recently went totally gluten free, I had to go through the pantries, cupboards (for things like spices), the freezers (chest and attached to fridge), the fridge, then I had to deal with bathroom supplies and meds. . .   It took us a week to do all of this.  The finding and buying and cooking gluten free foods was done all at once but the getting into a routine with it took time.  I was successful because in my case it was not voluntary but also because I broke it down into components on my to-do list so that it would be successful (since I had no choice but to make it successful). 

• Like 1

I improved my diet and lost 10 pounds. I did a series of smaller changes:

1. Cut soda intake by half. First I switched the small soda cans.  I went from every day to every other day for a couple of months.  Then I went from every other day to 2 a week for a couple of months.  Then it was once a week. It wasn't bad and I've maintained it well.

2. At the same time I started working on healthy substitutions. I found a high fiber,whole grain sliced bread and bagel brands I liked.  I found an unsweetened iced tea I liked. I found brown rice with higher fiber and protein content I liked. I found a high protein pasta I liked. I found a couple of high nutrient juices (no added sugars) pomegranate and blueberry for when I want something sweet so I get some nutrition at the same time.  I found a very dark chocolate to replace milk chocolates.  It really is more satisfying so I eat much less of it. 

3.  I bought recipe books that had healthier high plant based recipes in them and started cooking my way through it. I make 2 new recipes a week.

• Like 1

I'm thinking voluntary lifestyle changes here, like diet or schedule.  Do you just go all in and make radical changes? Or do you set your desired end goal and break it into smaller pieces?  Does your approach change if it just affects you or affects kids/family, too?  What's worked for sustaining said change in your life?

Just pondering my options.

It depends. Sometimes I make radical changes, sometimes I do it in itty bitty steps.