Menu

Recovery time after pelvic prolapse surgery?

Laura Corin

My mum has decided to have surgery .  She is in pain due to complications - she didn't seek treatment for the prolapse before now.  We haven't seen the surgeon yet (so I don't know what kind of surgery will be recommended), but I'd like some idea of what she is getting into.  

She's 93, mobile, and with few other medical issues, just borderline high blood pressure and arthritis.  I'm guessing that she would go to one of the two main hospitals for the operation and then the local hospital for rehabilitation.  Husband and I both work full time.  He has his office at home, but won't be able to nurse her (beyond making lunch, etc.).

For reference - she continues to seek medical treatment that will make her comfortable, even if there is a risk that it will shorten her life.  She's concerned about a good life rather than a long one at this stage.

My mom had the surgery around age 65. She was in hospital for about 5 days (with me there 24/7) and then needed intensive in home support (medication dosing, etc) from me for at least a few days. I think I stayed with her another couple days, then went home to my littles for 5 days, then came back . . . She had a sister who could drive her, and she was functional by the time I left her (about 7 days post op). 

The only tricky thing for my mom was that they discharged her before she was truly urinating on her own well. So, the first day, if it hadn't been for a dear friend who is a pediatrician who helped catheterize my mom, we'd have had to take her to an ER for that . . . would have been quite a disaster. 

So, as long as you've got urination (and BM) and pain well managed, IME, my mom was OK to be "on her own" (with me having already filled her med boxes) about a week post-op. Since your mom is living with you already, I'd think you'd likely be in good shape, especially since UK hospitals are probably as not as deranged as US ones about kicking you out before you are really ready. 

I always like to have someone with the patient 24/7 when in hospital, but that's just me . . . (Lost one parent to a hospital accident . . . so I'm not risking it . . .). I'd say you'd definitely want someone (you) available 24/7 for a couple days at home after discharge, and then play it by ear. 

If you can arrange to have in-home-nursing visits daily for a week, I'd absolutely do it. I really regretted not arranging that in advance for my mom, as we couldn't get it arranged in less than a week, which is clearly not helpful post-op. She got out of hospital on a Friday, so we were totally shit out of luck with her urinary issues outside of going to the ER. Thank goodness for my pediatrician friend . . .

• Like 1