Menu

First online class for 5th grader

teachermom2834

As this year is off and running smoothly of course my thoughts are already moving to next year's planning.

Dd in question is the baby of the family. Older three dc have ended up mostly outsourced from 8th-9th grade on. This has worked for our family and the direction I want to go with my current 4th grader. She has done the Memoria Press core curriculum since K but we have skipped over parts, done very little writing, and we have not done the Latin. This year I finally have my full attention focused on her and we are doing the full curriculum (except Latin) without skipping anything and she is doing almost all the writing in the workbooks, literature guides, etc and she is doing well.

I want to start her in an online class next year and then a couple the following year in 6th and then have her mostly outsourced to online by 8th. We plan to continue MP but are open to other providers (especially WTMA-in the future-I know they start in 6th).

My daughter is bright but not gifted and as the baby of the family I have a hard time seeing her as old enough to take am online class. I know she is at least as mature as her older brother who started in 6th and has done very well.

All that background just to ask for suggestions for a good "starter" online class. My first inclination is toward the 5th grade literature class with MP as that is the curriculum we will be following and she loves to read and discuss books. I am also considering the Latina Christiana course to get her going in the Latin we have neglected. I am a little hesitant at the 90 minute course length for that age.

I am also thinking of having her start a typing program as she really doesn't use the computer for anything right now.

Any other thoughts?

Thank you!

• Like 1

Center for Lit has great once a month literature classes! This was my Dd's intro to online class and she loved it. She learned the technology and gentle literary analysis.

No experience with MP's lit classes, but they may be just as good.

Latin would me more work and probably twice a week. Perhaps a good way to start, if you can't do it yourself.

We used dance mat typing and typing.com. Free and effective.

• Like 2

My 4th grader is taking Latina Christiana through MP online academy this year. She's the oldest so this is our first online class ever. We just started the 3rd week. Yes, typing would really help. She is keeping up, but it would go much smoother if she was a better typist! She is also in a Lit class and it's easier bc they utilize the microphone more. I plan on adding a typing program if not sometime this school year or over the summer.

And I forgot to add, the 1.5 hour Latin class passes quickly. They spend a lot of time answering review questions and practicing grammar forms. It's not just listening for 1.5 hour. In my daughters class there is also a 10 minute break.

Edited by BearWallowSchool
  • Like 1

My 4th grader is taking Latina Christiana through MP online academy this year. She's the oldest so this is our first online class ever. We just started the 3rd week. Yes, typing would really help. She is keeping up, but it would go much smoother if she was a better typist! She is also in a Lit class and it's easier bc they utilize the microphone more. I plan on adding a typing program if not sometime this school year or over the summer.

And I forgot to add, the 1.5 hour Latin class passes quickly. They spend a lot of time answering review questions and practicing grammar forms. It's not just listening for 1.5 hour. In my daughters class there is also a 10 minute break.

Thank you! This is very helpful. Has your daughter had Latin before or is this her first experience?

My dd#3 (older than the one you are talking about) is doing a First Form at MP this year. She is also taking an intro writing course with Coram Deo. She's the youngest in the class (geared for 11 & up) and so far, she LOVES it. I'll give a better update later in the year with how it shakes out, but she likes the small class size and the teacher. Plus, it is really gentle and there is a lot of discussion each week. I don't know if we will continue with the series, but so far, she's a huge fan. (Again, it is really early in the year, so take this with a grain of salt.)

• Like 1

Thank you! This is very helpful. Has your daughter had Latin before or is this her first experience?

This is basically our first Latin class. We dabbled in the first few lessons of Prima Latina last year, but my grandmother got sick and I was traveling long distance to help care for her. It was the first thing that got dropped.  I didn't want to get derailed again this year, so I signed up for the online class to hold us accountable. I think it will be just the right amount of challenge for her. We like it so far, but as the other poster said its still early in the year. Today was the 3rd class. 

• Like 1

My oldest took WTMA last year as a 5th grader. She took Story of the Ancient World and did really well. The biggest bumps were not about material as much as it was about keeping up with due dates/deadlines. It must have been a good learning experience for her since she chose to take Middle Ages this year.

• Like 1

My DD's first online class was a literature class with Athena's Academy. It was a great first online class because there were regular assignments with due dates, but no grades to stress about.

I highly recommend having your daughter learn to type before taking an online class.

Edited by Kuovonne
  • Like 2