Menu

Today I walked barefoot into our garage, and ...

Spryte

Yeah, I've screamed like a girl when a snake dropped out of a tree right in front of me. The difference being mine wasn't poisonous. Yikes! I would have screamed like a girl and then ran with flailing arms.  :lol:  I'm glad you didn't step on him.

ETA kudos for trapping him. I'm very impressed with your fortitude!

Edited by slr1765
  • Like 2

Holy $&@#.

I was feeling all brave reading the spider thread, then I read this, and it put me right back in my place!

I would have abanodoned the house, never to return! The snake can have it!!

Yep.....abandon the house.  That would have freaked me out so much I would have nightmares for months!

• Like 1

And that, folks, is why my dad told me to make sure the #1 thing I looked for in a potential mate was his willingness and ability to kill/dispose of snakes.

Fortunately, my pick is very good with that task.  Our chickens would have enjoyed the tasty treat I suspect, though with a copperhead I'm not positive he'd have put the body in with them due to not knowing if their venom was ok for the birds to eat.  It might have had it's final resting spot in a groundhog hole.

I'd have been very suspicious of the garage for the rest of my life.

• Like 3

Yeh, I might never go in the garage again. :D

The kids will be wearing shoes outside forevermore, too.

There was a woman who was bitten recently in a restaurant about 8 minutes from our house. Aaaagh! In a restaurant! She was in the hospital for a few days and full recovery will take months. Eeek.

Last May I accidentally trapped a raccoon in our bird seed bin. Singlehandedly! Boy, was it mad. That turned me off to feeding the birds, can't go in the garage now... shudder to think what's next.

• Like 1

Yes, September and October here is when the most bites occur. I wear boots outside and always make sure I have plenty of light (use my cell phone flashlight if needed) before putting a foot down outside at dusk or evening when they are most active.

And I don't walk on dead leaves. You can NOT see them on dead leaves. My ds once stepped on one barefoot (didn't get bitten, thank God) and came into the house to tell me there was a copperhead in the garden. I went out with him and was standing on the steps looking at where he was pointing (dead leaves) and was telling him there was no snake there. Then he got a stick and poked the ground right where I was looking and the center of it slithered forward. 

A neighbor was bitten and was told afterward that she should not have iced it . Their venom dissolves muscle tissue and ice concentrates it in a small region where it can do more damage. They will give you antibiotics and pain killer at the hospital. They only give antivenom if you're having a severe reaction. (Another friend had to have antivenom.) 

• Like 1