Menu

FAFSA--any negatives to filling it out if the student might not go?

MerryAtHope

I've tried googling but am not coming up with any answers to this. My son completes his AA degree in the spring but still isn't sure what he'd like to do in the future--and until he knows, he doesn't want to transfer to a 4-year school. 

However, our state offers financial aid on a first come, first served basis, so waiting until Spring (if he decides by then) to do the FAFSA would be too late...so I was thinking of having ds do a FAFSA form anyway. Is there any negative repercussion to filling it out if he ends up not going?

Also, since our other child will also be filling out a FAFSA, would it be better to list on her application that there are 2 students in college and have to change it later to 1 if he decides not to go--or list 1 child in college and possibly have to change it later to 2? 

I'd go ahead. People change their plans all the time.

I think you just need to contact whoever is providing the financial aid if there are changes as soon as you know. I know that's the case at both colleges that mine attend, but of course it may be different in different cases. They said not to file a revised FAFSA, just to deal with them.

• Like 1

I think you just need to contact whoever is providing the financial aid if there are changes as soon as you know. I know that's the case at both colleges that mine attend, but of course it may be different in different cases. They said not to file a revised FAFSA, just to deal with them.

Interesting, I wonder why? (I've actually ended up revising FAFSAs in the past though--seems like an easy process...)