Menu

Temp crown pain and dull ache

Tayhem

I had a tooth that had a filling in it for years and that tooth developed another cavity on the other side, so I got that cavity filled but my dentist took out the orginial filling because it was metal and I wanted that tooth to be all white, after that I had pain in that tooth which I never did before so my dentist re-did that filling again because she thought it had not settled properly, but after that the pain was still there just in a different spot (the pain was there when I touched the certain spot with my finger or ate) so after the pain did not go away my dentist put a temp crown on top of that tooth it's been a couple of days and now that tooth has a constant dull ache and feels like the exact pain as before (pressure pain)! I don't know what to do or if I should be trusting my dentist because it seems like no matter what she does my tooth just keeps getting worse and I'm spending all this money, and it's stressing me out !!

It's possible that the filling was quite close to the pulp. Maybe she put in a pulp cap, maybe not, but that may be the cause of the sudden irritation.

Also, sometimes when you have work done, you can have pain for a week or two because it's actually kind of traumatic to get drilled. Sometimes it's even on a different tooth, it's weird.

Finding a dentist I can trust is the most difficult thing I've ever had to do. Seven different dentists will have seven different opinions and all of the opinions will be valid. I'm sorry I'm not much help :(

This kind of pain is common with temporary crowns.  When this happened to me, it was because the crown was sitting oddly and all I needed was for the dentist to adjust it a bit.  Once he adjusted it, the pain relief was immediate.  Go back and tell the dentist about it, and hopefully an adjustment is all you will need.

• Like 2

I have a temp crown.  This is my 3rd crown and they have all been touchy while waiting for the permanent.  Can you chew right now or are you even struggling to chew at all?  I actually just had my temp fall off and it was put back on.  It was just a tiny bit off the week before that..  If it's just a little achy and you will be going back for a permanent, I might wait it out and talk to the dentist when you're there.  If you can't sleep and/or eat well because of pain, call right away. 

So I agree with everyone about temp crowns. That is common BUT you had sensitivity and pain before that due to the replacement of your filling. What you describe reminds me about when a filling is too close to the nerve. Sometimes they settle (can take 3 months) but sometimes they need root canals. If you feel pressure...like a pushing out of the tooth that can be a sign of infection. Just keep an eye on it. I hope it settles down for you. Teeth...meh...such a bummer.

I had pain like this once after having a filling that was too high.  The dentist told me that it was like a bruised nerve and that it would take several weeks for the pain to subside.  It was a bit tricky for the dentist to get the filling and my bite correct because of the pain.  It did take several weeks and several visits to get it all worked out.

You didn't mention how close together all the work was done on that tooth but the work itself may have caused root damage.  

I just got done having a root canal on a tooth that had two crowns put on it within a six month period of time (The first one was attached with a faulty cement that caused extreme sensitivity) .  The best explanation for the problem I had  is that having the crown work done damaged the root.  I ended up having an abscessed tooth but all is well since the root canal.  

Don't settle for living with the discomfort.  Two weeks after the root canal and I am finally not thinking about it when I chew on that side of my mouth!  Prior to that it had been a year of discomfort and no chewing at all on that side.

If your dentist can't fix it, find one who can!  (My dentist originally said that the discomfort was being caused by a sinus infection . . . the guy that did my root canal snorted when I told him that).  

You didn't mention how close together all the work was done on that tooth but the work itself may have caused root damage.

I just got done having a root canal on a tooth that had two crowns put on it within a six month period of time (The first one was attached with a faulty cement that caused extreme sensitivity) . The best explanation for the problem I had is that having the crown work done damaged the root. I ended up having an abscessed tooth but all is well since the root canal.

Don't settle for living with the discomfort. Two weeks after the root canal and I am finally not thinking about it when I chew on that side of my mouth! Prior to that it had been a year of discomfort and no chewing at all on that side.

If your dentist can't fix it, find one who can! (My dentist originally said that the discomfort was being caused by a sinus infection . . . the guy that did my root canal snorted when I told him that).

My sinuses actually DO put pressure on my right top teeth. I have gone to dentist with tooth pain, had X-rays taken and it showed that my sinuses were seriously pushing on my roots.

• Like 1

If your dentist can't fix it, find one who can!  (My dentist originally said that the discomfort was being caused by a sinus infection . . . the guy that did my root canal snorted when I told him that).  

Although it wasn't the issue in your case, a sinus infection CAN cause dental pain.  I have had that happen and it caused a worse tooth ache than any dental problem related tooth ache I have ever had.  I was very glad that my dentist recognized that and didn't immediately decide to do a root canal.

• Like 1

IME, I'd guess that your root has gone bad. You could get a root canal and then a crown . . . Or, better, you could get the damn thing pulled and get an implant.

The pricing on implants has come down in recent years, making them maybe 50% more than a crown . . . and they are amazing. Magic. Painless. 

So, if it were me, I'd get it pulled and get an implant. 

I'd probably get a new dentist, too. 

Although it wasn't the issue in your case, a sinus infection CAN cause dental pain.  I have had that happen and it caused a worse tooth ache than any dental problem related tooth ache I have ever had.  I was very glad that my dentist recognized that and didn't immediately decide to do a root canal.

Yes, I do understand that it CAN happen.  But in my case, my face was swollen and  I had a complicated history on that particular tooth with lots of work done in a relatively short time.   It happened twice before my regular dentist decided it could possibly be that tooth.  I think that's why my root-canal dr. was incredulous that it had gone on for as long as it had.