Menu

Spanish Tutor

AMDG

Hello, all! It has been ages and ages since I've been around (My kiddo is grown and gone!) but I have a question and I knew you could answer it! The hive mind knows!

I am in a peculiar situation. I am an American Sign Language interpreter. I was approached by a priest at an Hispanic parish about starting a Deaf ministry and ASL mass at his parish. Well, we did that. I don't speak Spanish, though, so the (VERY CUMBERSOME) way we do it is this: Father celebrates mass in concurrent ASL and Spanish. An interpreter sits in an alcove with a headset and translates into English. I interpret all the readings, music, responses, et c. Father is learning ASL but celebrates mass by memorization.

We make it work but I would like to learn spanish and I have a wonderful, rich opportunity to use it. I have tried learning on my own but . . . Well, I keep not managing to do it. So, I need a tutor.

Anyhoo, this is The dream tutor I'm looking for:

-- native Spanish speaker

-- Mexican/central American

-- can focus on teaching BOTH conversational Spanish AND the mass.

-- can meet online w/o tons of technical problems

-- well organized, good teacher

-- well-rounded Spanish instruction (includes speaking, listening, reading, writing)

-- includes lots of literature and movies as activities (even as a beginner I want to read fairy tales, et c.)

-- can evaluate my skill and meet me where I am.

And not Live Lingua. We weren't a match.

I do have a strong preference for a person who lives in Mexico or Central America but it's not an absolute deal breaker if s/he doesn't.

So, anyone have any ideas? Do you have or know of a spanish tutor you'd be willing to share?

C'mon, Hive Mind, don't let me down!

Edited by MomOfOneFunOne
  • Like 1

Not sure if Homeschool Spanish Academy would meet your needs, but they have native Guatemalan teachers. My daughter is doing their scripted high school Spanish program, but I know they also have adult programs. You could email them and ask about teaching specifically toward your situation. They do online teaching and easy to schedule. Some of their tutors are not as good at English and you might want one that can do both English and Spanish well. The price is cheaper than most one on one tutoring.

It does not include a lot of literature and movies, but you could probably add that in.

• Like 1

I'll fifth HSA but I don't know if they'll be able to customize your lessons. However, I do have another suggestion. Does this parish have the Unidos en Cristo United in Christ missals. They have the Spanish and English texts on facing pages so you can easily follow along. If you study that in advance I think you'd be able to streamline your process. Here's a link:

https://www.ocp.org/en-us/missals/uc

• Like 1

Not sure if Homeschool Spanish Academy would meet your needs, but they have native Guatemalan teachers. My daughter is doing their scripted high school Spanish program, but I know they also have adult programs. You could email them and ask about teaching specifically toward your situation. They do online teaching and easy to schedule. Some of their tutors are not as good at English and you might want one that can do both English and Spanish well. The price is cheaper than most one on one tutoring.

It does not include a lot of literature and movies, but you could probably add that in.

another vote for Homeschool Spanish Academy. My son is in his 2nd year and learning a lot.

Voting for Homeschool Spanish Academy also. DD loves the teachers!

I'll fifth HSA but I don't know if they'll be able to customize your lessons. However, I do have another suggestion. Does this parish have the Unidos en Cristo United in Christ missals. They have the Spanish and English texts on facing pages so you can easily follow along. If you study that in advance I think you'd be able to streamline your process. Here's a link:

https://www.ocp.org/en-us/missals/uc

AMDG

Aww!  Thanks you guys!  HSA didn't work out for me.  I compared several and cant remember everything but I believe it was because their tutors can't meet on Sundays.  I'm on call 24/6 (every day but Sunday) so I can only to commit to Sundays so . . . we weren't a match.  I really appreciate you guys, though!

I have used 121Spanish for many years and have had a fabulous experience with them. They recently sold and there have been some changes. A similar site with some of the former teachers is 121onlineprofessor--I have not personally used the spin-off site, though. 

AMDG

I checked into both 121Spanish and 121onlineprofessor.  121spanish either couldn't provide tutors on Sunday or were not helpful figuring out a Catholic tutor or materials or something.  I can't remember now.  

121onlineprofessor, however, is where i'm  headed!  The person was so helpful on the phone helping me figure out which tutors might be particularly suited to my goals and most familiar with the kinds of materials and literature I would like to use, et c.  I viewed some of the videos and one of the ladies just seemed like such a sweetie pie!  we've been texting via skype to discuss materials for learning using texts for grammar plus scripture reading and readings of the saints.  She has lots of those materials and I can't wait to get started with her.  I hope it goes as well as I hope it goes!

Thanks for the help!

• Like 2

I know an excellent, extremely well-educated, and devout Mexican tutor who would probably be willing to work with you if for some reason your other tutor doesn't work out. One of her current pupils is an English-speaking priest learning Spanish. :)

AMDG

I will definitely get with you if my lady doesn't do out! Thank you!

Take a look at italki.com. There will be lots of options for different tutors/teachers with availability throughout the day.

AMDG

Thanks, Nutella! I tried italki first and contacted about a dozen professional tchr and a few of the tutors. It seems that everyone has a standard computer pkg and when I mention my specific needs none of them could commit.

If someone just wanted conversational Spanish, though, they're mostly a really good price.

I DO plan to use italki for some informal language partners, though!

Thanks again!