Menu

For fun: What height did your young kids with big feet eventually reach?

idnib

Just for fun! (I know there's no reliable correlation.)

I was shocked when DD9 got new shoes today and they're women's size U.S. 7.5! She's only 4'6". But yep, they fit her! And DS, who is 13 and 5'6" needed a men's 10.5.

I wonder if they'll grow tall or if I'll just have hobbits with big feet. My side of the family is quite short and DH's side is quite tall.

Any others who had young kids with large feet? How tall did your kids end up being?

Edited by idnib

I'm wondering the same thing. My girls are all in women's sizes. DD13 wears a 9.5, DD11 wears a 10, DD10 (3days ago) wears an 8, and DS 7 is in a kid's 4 - and he says they're too small. My DH is 6'3" and wears a 12-13 but I'm only 5'2" and wear an 8. All of my family is short but still have pretty big feet. I guess my kids could go either way although at this point it's looking like they'll all be tall. The older two are taller than me and all of them are taller than any other kids their age.

• Like 1

My son used to have really big feet, and was off-the-chart tall for his age. Then he started heavy asthma meds that have slowed (almost stopped) his growth. But the kid's gotta breathe, ya know? I became concerned one fall when I pulled out his sneakers from storage and realized they weren't from the previous year...they were from the year before that, and they still fit him. His feet didn't grow at all from age 7 to age 10. He actually just went through a growth spurt, growing a whole inch, which is more than he's grown in the previous year and a half. So, my poor boy who used to be super tall is now about the same height as his sister who is three years younger. Her feet are the same size as his, which she thinks is hilarious.

Edited by greenbeanmama
  • Like 1

Most of my children have a height in relation to their foot size.  

So my tallest dd (5'9") has size 9.5 feet.  My next tallest dd (5'7") has size 9 feet.  Next tallest dd (5'5") has size 6 feet.  Next tallest dd (5'4") has size 7.5 feet.  (So the last two don't quite fall into line, but the one with the smallest feet is the most petite and weighs the least.)

My ds is close to 6'4" with size 13 feet.

All my children turned out to be about double their height when I measured them at age two.  :)

• Like 1

We don't have big feet--now--but we seem to grow feet first and then our height catches up. Ds1 is 6'2" and wears 11; ds2 is 6'4" and also wears 11. Dd is only 12yo and at 5'5" is already in a 9. She's projected to be 5'8"-9". Dh and I suspect she might be at least as tall as me. I don't remember when my feet stopped growing but I (5'10") wore a 9 for years until after my first pregnancy; now I wear 10.

• Like 1

I was shocked when DD9 got new shoes today and they're women's size U.S. 7.5! She's only 4'6". But yep, they fit her! And DS, who is 13 and 5'6" needed a men's 10.5.

My dd is probably 5'8" and her feet are 7.5. It drives me nuts because I'm a good 2 - 3 inches shorter than she is and my feet are 8.5. No fair.

• Like 1

I will admit I was happy when dd's feet got too big to wear my favorite boots. Not thrilled that she was wearing women's sizes when she was 11. Do you know how difficult it is to find age appropriate shoes in the women's section?

And I still remember the sticker shock when ds outgrew the last boys size. That adult shoe was a hair larger and $30 more. Such a racket.

• Like 1

My oldest ds has feet 13 inches long - here men's shoe size 13 not sure how the sizes are in USA. He grew to 6 foot 4 inches. He is my tallest child, though ds19 is only an inch shorter and may still grow. Ds13 is already 6 foot and growing rapidly. It will be interesting to see how tall he will get.

• Like 1

DS12 is 5’11†and wears size 11.5

DS11 is 5’3†and wears size 9.5

DH is 5’11†and wears size 10

I am 5’3†and wear women 6 or youth 4 boots.

My kids shoe size didn’t change this year so maybe their feet aren’t going to get any bigger. We don’t have any relatives taller than my husband so DS12 would likely be the tallest if he continues to grow taller. DS11 grows in spurts so hard to tell.

• Like 1

My kids get their big feet from their dad. My two 5-6 girls wear 8.5 shoes. My dad who is 5-2.5 wears a size 8. And the other who is 5-1.5 wears a 7.5. They all hoped their big feet meant they'd grow more, but alas not.

That's funny, because I never thought of 8.5 for girls as big.  (I'm 8.5.   ;))  I always thought of it as pretty average.  I'm 5'6" too. 

• Like 1

You can have large feet and not be terribly tall. I wear a size 10, and I'm only 5'5 1/2". Obviously that 1/2 is important.  :lol:  

My dd is 4" taller than I am, and she wears a smaller shoe but in a wide. She just has really large bones (my dad was very tall), and the top of her foot was always really high for kid shoes, even when her feet were smaller. So even when they were small, they were big, if that makes sense.

I suggest you put their height and weight into online growth chart calculators if you want to see their trajectory. You can put in data from other years, if you have it, or just graph what you've got now. My dd's percentiles were pretty consistent, and where the growth chart calculators extrapolated out to for her is in fact where she ended up.

• Like 1

I wonder if they'll grow tall or if I'll just have hobbits with big feet. My side of the family is quite short and DH's side is quite tall.

Any others who had young kids with large feet? How tall did your kids end up being?

My DS was 5'6" and 10.5 at 13, which is about when he stopped growing.

He's now 18 and maybe  5'6.5" and size 11 feet.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

My DS’s shoe size always matched his age until age 16.  He’s a size 17 now and is 6’6”. He was born (2 weeks early) into a size 2 shoe so we were never really shocked by his shoe size.  My DD just turned 12 and recently went from a size 10 to a 10.5 shoe.  She’s just shy of 5’5”. Waiting to see if she’ll grow into her feet.  Both of my kids were/are late bloomers when it comes to puberty.  The boy had his growth plates checked and he is NEAR adult height.  Hoping he doesn’t get much taller, it’s already uncomfortable for him.

Zombie post.

But for the record, I was born with big feet, now a women's 11, and I topped out at 5'6". My  mother, same shoe size, was a full 4 inches taller than I am until she started to shrink with age. I suspect I would've had another inch or two of height if I hadn't gotten my period at ten! But then, the younger kiddo, who's just my height and possibly has one more growth spurt in her, has shoes sized women's 8.5.

The last I remember, ds was a size 13 or 13.5. He’s about 6’2-3”.

I’m not certain of my older dd’s shoe size, but it’s probably about 9.5-10, depending on the shoe. She’s about my height, 5’8. Her feet surpassed my 8.5 when she was barely in high school. (I was an 8 before babies.)