Menu

probably not worth getting mad about (vent)

SparklyUnicorn

but DH...is kinda on my list.  I know..I know..no bad mouthing spouses.  But he is not grasping the concept that I don't want overgrown zucchini.  Every time he comes home with it he says oh I'm sorry I must have missed them (didn't see them). Ok...no problem, but EVERY SINGLE ZUCCHINI he has given me has been like this?!  I have bags and bags of zucchini in the freezer.  I've been eating zucchini until I wanna yak.  And the overgrown stuff is not nice...not good eats.  I can work it to make it edible, but it's TOO MUCH.  Only two of us here are even willing to eat it. 

Why does he keep doing this?!

Grrrr.

I don't get outright mad, but geesh maybe I need to.  I have told him...and he keeps doing it.  So...he did it again today.  I just said..no...nope...not going to touch it I don't care what you do with it.  And when I mean overgrown I mean the size of a super thick baseball bat. 

• Like 2

I think they grow insanely fast once they are past a certain point. That's what my overgrown zucchini supplier usually says anyway. Like you miss it one day and the next it's massive.

That's what he said.  So I'm glad to at least have someone else mention this.

But really...if he won't go and check on it regularly, then don't plant it anymore.

• Like 4

My sister in law made some amazing zucchini/egg/cream cheese(?? maybe) bite thingy's that we dip in marinara and it tastes like pizza.

Also grain-free chocolate zucchini muffins.

I'll take your overgrown zucchinis to supply my SIL so she can keep feeding me yumminess!! ;)

Those sound good and I haven't made either before.  I'll google for recipes.  Thanks!

Both of those might also freeze well. 

I've exhausted anything I can come up with.  I can't spirilize it unfortunately.  So that eliminates a lot of my usual tricks. 

Lol...I know you don't want laughs right now, but I chuckled. Not at you or anything. But I don't really know what an overgrown zucchini is. I am just assuming it is a big zucchini. But I can just see the divorce papers now...."reason for divorce-the zucchini was always just too big!" Lol

• Like 7

Blech I hate zucchini. One year I planted it in my garden and it took over everything and grew out of control. Then it cross pollinated or something and I wound up with weird zucchini monsters. Why did I plant something I don't even like to eat? I have no idea. I feel your pain. At least mine was free

• Like 1

That's what he said. So I'm glad to at least have someone else mention this.

But really...if he won't go and check on it regularly, then don't plant it anymore.

Oh yours is free too. Well there's that. I thought he was actually buying the overgrown zucchini. That would grounds for divorce

• Like 2

We got 10 bajillion zucchini from 6 plants this year.   I have never seen anything like it.  Many years we get zero, many years we get a lot, but this must have been a perfect zucchini growing season in New England!    All of my cucumbers were chewed up by animals, and my carrots and potatoes are no prize.   But the zucchini  :scared: !   We started referring to them as The Little Shop of Horror Zucchini plants when the eclipse happened, because the man eating plant appeared during a "total eclipse of the sun".

I made 6 million things with it, every recipe I could come up with.  I could have written a cookbook or started a cooking show.  We had zucchini coming out of our ears, 3 meals a day some days.   I gave it away, people got tired of it.  I froze as much as I could fit in my tiny freezer....and finally I literally tried to eat one more piece of zucchini bread, and literally started gagging.  I could not do it.    

So, I totally hear you Sparkly.   People said to me, "Oh, just make this or that...I could never get sick of zucchini!" Yep, I made this or that 17 times this week already.  At first my DH would let them go until they were baseball bats, and finally I just told him, "If you do not pick them when they are small enough I will put them right in the compost pile."   And I did.  And that worked.

Sorry, but desperate times call for desperate measures.   :lol:

• Like 4

Lol...I know you don't want laughs right now, but I chuckled. Not at you or anything. But I don't really know what an overgrown zucchini is. I am just assuming it is a big zucchini. But I can just see the divorce papers now...."reason for divorce-the zucchini was always just too big!" Lol

I think it would actually be on the police report....cause of death, beaten to death by zucchini bat!

• Like 4

We got 10 bajillion zucchini from 6 plants this year. I have never seen anything like it. Many years we get zero, many years we get a lot, but this must have been a perfect zucchini growing season in New England! All of my cucumbers were chewed up by animals, and my carrots and potatoes are no prize. But the zucchini :scared: ! We started referring to them as The Little Shop of Horror Zucchini plants when the eclipse happened, because the man eating plant appeared during a "total eclipse of the sun".

I made 6 million things with it, every recipe I could come up with. I could have written a cookbook or started a cooking show. We had zucchini coming out of our ears, 3 meals a day some days. I gave it away, people got tired of it. I froze as much as I could fit in my tiny freezer....and finally I literally tried to eat one more piece of zucchini bread, and literally started gagging. I could not do it.

So, I totally hear you Sparkly. People said to me, "Oh, just make this or that...I could never get sick of zucchini!" Yep, I made this or that 17 times this week already. At first my DH would let them go until they were baseball bats, and finally I just told him, "If you do not pick them when they are small enough I will put them right in the compost pile." And I did. And that worked.

Sorry, but desperate times call for desperate measures. :lol:

That had me chuckling. I hear ya.

• Like 1

but DH...is kinda on my list. I know..I know..no bad mouthing spouses. But he is not grasping the concept that I don't want overgrown zucchini. Every time he comes home with it he says oh I'm sorry I must have missed them (didn't see them). Ok...no problem, but EVERY SINGLE ZUCCHINI he has given me has been like this?! I have bags and bags of zucchini in the freezer. I've been eating zucchini until I wanna yak. And the overgrown stuff is not nice...not good eats. I can work it to make it edible, but it's TOO MUCH. Only two of us here are even willing to eat it.

Why does he keep doing this?!

Grrrr.

I don't get outright mad, but geesh maybe I need to. I have told him...and he keeps doing it. So...he did it again today. I just said..no...nope...not going to touch it I don't care what you do with it. And when I mean overgrown I mean the size of a super thick baseball bat.

Put them in paper bags and leave 'em on neighbors' porches at night. That's what my mom had us do with the excess huge zucchini and overgrown green beans!

Or maybe a food bank could use them?

Edited by Sandwalker

I think they grow insanely fast once they are past a certain point. That's what my overgrown zucchini supplier usually says anyway. Like you miss it one day and the next it's massive.

This. And they can be really hard to spot under the leaves. I refuse to eat those and feed them to the chickens and cows (and even the chickens began to refuse them this year).

We got 10 bajillion zucchini from 6 plants this year. I have never seen anything like it. Many years we get zero, many years we get a lot, but this must have been a perfect zucchini growing season in New England! All of my cucumbers were chewed up by animals, and my carrots and potatoes are no prize. But the zucchini :scared: ! We started referring to them as The Little Shop of Horror Zucchini plants when the eclipse happened, because the man eating plant appeared during a "total eclipse of the sun".

I made 6 million things with it, every recipe I could come up with. I could have written a cookbook or started a cooking show. We had zucchini coming out of our ears, 3 meals a day some days. I gave it away, people got tired of it. I froze as much as I could fit in my tiny freezer....and finally I literally tried to eat one more piece of zucchini bread, and literally started gagging. I could not do it.

So, I totally hear you Sparkly. People said to me, "Oh, just make this or that...I could never get sick of zucchini!" Yep, I made this or that 17 times this week already. At first my DH would let them go until they were baseball bats, and finally I just told him, "If you do not pick them when they are small enough I will put them right in the compost pile." And I did. And that worked.

Sorry, but desperate times call for desperate measures. :lol:

Yeah it grew like that this year in Ky also. I would pick several 5 gallon buckets of it and yellow squash at a time. Every time we left the house we carried several shopping bags full to give away. I wasn't kidding when I said my chickens began to refuse it.

• Like 1

Zucchini latkas!  So yummy!  Same recipe as potato latkas.  I do them in a nonstick electric griddle so they don't need all the oil you would use for traditional latkas.  Serve with applesauce or sour cream! 

And I found that if you shred the zucchini  and let it sit in a colander to drain in teh fridge overnight it really helps pull out the extra moisture.  (But doesn't work for potatoes, they get dark.)

Plus I hide it in meatballs, meatloaf, make muffins and have a incredible chocolate zucchini cake recipe! 

• Like 1

Zucchini latkas!  So yummy!  Same recipe as potato latkas.  I do them in a nonstick electric griddle so they don't need all the oil you would use for traditional latkas.  Serve with applesauce or sour cream! 

And I found that if you shred the zucchini  and let it sit in a colander to drain in teh fridge overnight it really helps pull out the extra moisture.  (But doesn't work for potatoes, they get dark.)

Plus I hide it in meatballs, meatloaf, make muffins and have a incredible chocolate zucchini cake recipe! 

Yep...made those.  (low carb version)

Only two of us will eat them though.  That's the thing.  There is enough zucchini for 50 people, but we are only 2 people.  If they were nice normal size zucchini I could give them away.  But they aren't.  : /

• Like 1

It is inedible. It should just go in compost or trash.

I think is a regular part of having zucchini. Some get too big and they don't taste good. Especially this time of year.

Can you get him to just leave them outside?

Sometimes you can let them get huge and they can be kinda festive gourds just to look at.

Edited by Lecka
  • Like 2

I keep telling my mom that they don’t taste very good when they get so large, but she doesn’t believe me.

They absolutely don't.  You have to scoop out the insides because the seeds are as large and hard as pumpkin seeds.  The skin is super super hard and only cooking it for a long time softens it to the point where you can actually bite through it.  So it works ok in a soup that way, but otherwise nope.  And the skin has flavor and color.  Otherwise it's just a spongy tasteless blah. 

So it's become mostly a filler rather than something I enjoy as a vegetable.  Which is ok, but not every damn day for weeks.

• Like 2

Ime overgrown zucchini are so dry that they wouldn't be good in bread. Plus they have a disgusting taste.

I would not eat them.

Maybe just the peels if they are good -- i have never tried that.

Edit: I love zucchini but once they are too big I honestly think they are inedible.

Edited by Lecka
  • Like 1

Hahaha... I'm in the process of using up a 14" zucchini someone gave me. I made two loaves of zucchini bread from it yesterday, and for dinner made 32 parmesan crusted zucchini fries. I still have some leftover. I'll be using the rest for a zucchini and squash stir-fry tonight.

When I was a kid one of my neighbors grew a zucchini that was well over 2 feet long. It spent about a week being left on various front porches, then it disappeared for a few days. The next time I walked by the gardener's house, he asked if I'd like to see his fine Italian sports car. He brought out the zucchini, which had been carved out, given wheels, upholstered seats, a steering wheel, license plates, etc. His "Lambrozucchini" was the talk of the neighborhood for weeks.

• Like 11

Did someone already mention zucchini bread? You could make several loaves and then freeze them.

Or you could just leave them on neighbor's doorsteps.

I eat low carb.

BUT as we speak I have a low carb chocolate zucchini cake baking.  It was supposed to be muffins, but I doubled the recipe and am now baking it as a cake.  So we'll see how that goes.  Looks good anyway.

• Like 3

I would trash them. Don't compost them unless you blend the seeds to bits first, or they will take over your garden by growing in the compost pile.

Where was this advice last summer? I accidentally planted butternut squash in my front flower beds. Three healthy plants that I guess came from the compost. They're doing better than the squash I actually planted!!!

• Like 3

Where was this advice last summer? I accidentally planted butternut squash in my front flower beds. Three healthy plants that I guess came from the compost. They're doing better than the squash I actually planted!!!

I had butternut squash do the same thing!  In Texas no less!  In a forgotten corner of the yard. It was amazing how those compost volunteers thrived while I babied other things that struggled so. 

Why is it that most people are swimming in zucchini and I can't get the dang things to grow to save my life? Between the squash vine borers, the cucumber beetles, and the blossom end rot, I gave up on zucchini a couple of summer ago *sigh*

So I made low carb chocolate zucchini cake (instead of cup cakes cuz I doubled the recipe).  I have to say...pretty darn impressive really.  DH loved it too.

Ahem... You know the rule.  :toetap05:

• Like 2

Last summer DH filled half barrels with concrete and planted wooden poles in them to string lights around the patio. He filled the rest of the barrels with the compost from TWO summers ago and planted flowers in them. In addition to the lovely flowers, we got gazillions of tomato seedlings. This summer we didn't plant flowers (too busy for gardening :(), so the soil just sat bare...until July, when suddenly, gazillions of tomato seedlings appeared. I had no idea that they could overwinter at all, let alone hang in there for so long!

If only they'd shown up sooner. They're flowering now, but there's nowhere near enough time for volunteer tomatoes. 

Edited by ILiveInFlipFlops