Menu

Mathseeds/Reading Eggs

Is it worth it to use for supplementing? DD does a Spanish immersion school for K. She's reading at about a 3/4th grade level and reads voraciously. Her spelling seems decent for her age.

At school they do Singapore math in Spanish so DD is working on counting all over again and starting from the beginning since it's a new language.

We did the trial of marhseeds and reading eggs and both kids (3.5 and 5.5) enjoyed it. Trying to decide if it's worth the $$. I don't want to formally afterschool right now. She reads to me, we read a lot as a family, and she'll sometimes do workbooks for fun. She has no homework for school. The school uses RazKids A-Z but it's only the guided reading books and one of the games.

Reading Eggs was too slow for my boys with too much repetition. They liked Math Eggs more, but it didn't hold their attention really long enough to justify longer than the trial. This was during their preschool years, so I suspect that a K'er working ahead would have the same problem.

My boys both loved the free game Teach Your Monster to Read. I thought it was done better than Reading Eggs, and it's free. My kids used it for preK, so again, the level might not be right.

Readtheory is free site for an advanced, self-motivated reader. My K'er didn't like it, but it's basically texts with comprehension questions. There are rewards but not a game element. 

What has worked best for us for reading is regularly visiting the library and letting the kids read as much as they'd like. For a voracious reader, practice reading and enjoying reading is the best "afterschooling" you can do, IMO.

Dreambox is a subscription-based math site. It's interesting and unique but has the same issue I've seen with every math-based website: it doesn't teach. Prodigy and Sumdog are two math-based website that are free, both with significant game elements. Neither "teaches" math. 

We limit screen time in general, so none of these options has worked out as a good choice for us.

For math, my kids get occasional math vacation work from me, and we do various math activities together, like games and fun math books. My favorite fun math book is Bedtime Math; the kids love it.

Edited by Have kids -- will travel

Reading Eggs was too slow for my boys with too much repetition. They liked Math Eggs more, but it didn't hold their attention really long enough to justify longer than the trial. This was during their preschool years, so I suspect that a K'er working ahead would have the same problem.

My boys both loved the free game Teach Your Monster to Read. I thought it was done better than Reading Eggs, and it's free. My kids used it for preK, so again, the level might not be right.

Readtheory is free site for an advanced, self-motivated reader. My K'er didn't like it, but it's basically texts with comprehension questions. There are rewards but not a game element.

What has worked best for us for reading is regularly visiting the library and letting the kids read as much as they'd like. For a voracious reader, practice reading and enjoying reading is the best "afterschooling" you can do, IMO.

Dreambox is a subscription-based math site. It's interesting and unique but has the same issue I've seen with every math-based website: it doesn't teach. Prodigy and Sumdog are two math-based website that are free, both with significant game elements. Neither "teaches" math.

We limit screen time in general, so none of these options has worked out as a good choice for us.

For math, my kids get occasional math vacation work from me, and we do various math activities together, like games and fun math books. My favorite fun math book is Bedtime Math; the kids love it.

Thanks.

We LOVE Teach Your Monster to Read. We've used it for a while and it still holds their interest. It's been great for review.

I'm guessing it won't be worth the money for reading eggs.

I'd like something that teaches concepts and she's gotten frustrated with Prodigy since it doesn't teach concepts.

We also limit screens and barely allow them during the school week. But I'd make exception for a learning thing occasionally.

I may just find a workbook. She loves those.

Edited by ReadingMama1214

And I agree about reading. We visit the library most days. Her bus stop is next to the library. She reads A LOT. And usually has a few books going at once. She's devouring chapter books now which is crazy to watch.