Menu

Anyone here low carbing?

Mommyof1

There are many good web sites with recipes. Last time i used the beginning plan from "I Breath I'm Humgry." Good stuff.

Right now I'm trying to keep cooked spaghetti squash and zoodles in the fridge. I haven't been able to get into salads yet this time around. I'm definitely drinking more coffee so I can get the cream. I've also got a can of TJ's coconut cream that I use a spoon at a time when I get cravings.

• Like 1

Thanks about the website. I've never heard of that one.

I have terrible heartburn and recently went off prescription antacids. Last time I low carbed the heartburn went away especially under induction. I shouldn't have citrus or coffee it makes things worse even low carbing.

Salads are good. I like veggies and protein is a must.

I do muffin tin meatloaf with shredded parmesan in place of bread crumbs. The meat I use is half beef, half turkey since DH was told to lay off so much red meat.

For quick lunches we have "turkey craziness" which is just lunchmeat torn up to bitesize pieces warmed in a skillet with cheese and salsa. Sonetimes I throw in some spinach or other leftover veggie.

• Like 1

I'm not intentionally low carb, but I'm on Weight Watchers and WW gives more points for many of my favorite carb foods, so I'm making different choices.

One thing I really enjoy is using a fresh cucumber sliced lengthwise in place of a bun to make a sandwich. I add turkey and pepercini between the cucumber halves, then eat it like a sub sandwich.

I also enjoy egg beater omelets with a small amount of cheddar cheese or avocado. I sometimes skip the toast to save my ww points, but I often use "light bread" for toast (which has fewer carbs and WW points than regular bread.)

• Like 1

I started keto a little over a year ago, lost 50 lbs and felt great. I'm currently slightly higher carb for the last few weeks of this pregnancy (my my MFM and neuro were supportive of me staying keto for it, it's really helped with my migraines) and I'll be going back on keto after birth.

• Like 2

I just make what I normally make but without the carbs.  For example, when the family has tacos, I have taco salad.  This means that I don't make certain recipes at all anymore (for example, anything having to do with pasta).  

I should probably find a source of low carb recipes, but the last time I tried that, I discovered that what the recipes thought was low carb was not low carb.

• Like 1

I started keto a little over a year ago, lost 50 lbs and felt great. I'm currently slightly higher carb for the last few weeks of this pregnancy (my my MFM and neuro were supportive of me staying keto for it, it's really helped with my migraines) and I'll be going back on keto after birth.

I did low carb with two pregnancies and it went great, but if you're nursing you may need to bump your carbs up a bit. Anything below 40-ish net kills my milk, and some gals need to go even higher. Ketosis and nursing is really tough on your body so if you're prone to thyroid or adrenal issues it's doubly important to keep the good carb choices up a bit. A little sweet potatoe and colorful fruit is a solid choice on that front.

If you're not nursing, you should be okay. But my experience over the last few babies has definitely been that strict keto is bad juju for milk making, but still keeping the carb low and just not ketogenic seems to work okay. Especially if calories are adequate.

Wishing you the best with birth and postpartum!

I have been on a health weight loss journey for almost a year now and am down 85 pounds. My food plan is high protein and low carb, but not truly a Keto level,of low carbs.

Recently I hit s couple month slow weight loss and contacted my dieticiian. She lowered my carbs more and raised my fat allowance.

So, I have a question. At times I find my self out of protein, out of carbs, but fat grams left. What do I eat!

I'm not going to eat butter, or mayonnaise.

I have found some fat bomb kind of recipes, but many still have carbs in them.

I usually have avocado for breakfast with eggs, so,I am not really looking for that again,

I found The Parmesan whisp things at Costco, and I plan to try making my own.

Any suggestions are welcome.

• Like 1

So, I have a question. At times I find my self out of protein, out of carbs, but fat grams left. What do I eat!

I usually have avocado for breakfast with eggs, so,I am not really looking for that again,

Coffee with heavy cream.

I'm post weight loss surgery and low carb. I'm nursing so looking at 60 grams met carbs and will play around with that number as needed. I have to have easy options around like deli meat, slices of cheese, rotisserie chicken, and veggies around. Some whole milk Greek yogurt to add to berries or use in a salad dressing etc. pork rinds. Plus cooking large batches of chicken thighs or carnitas or whatever.

Wow, thanks everybody.

How many carbs are you eating daily, everyone?

I'm going to try for 20 carbs for now.

I'm at the highest weight ever and I am having horrible heartburn. My heartburn disappeared last time I low carbed so...

This was me. When I had a heavy carb diet I suddenly had heartburn I never had before and lived on prilosec. I went to a low carb/high protein diet a few years ago and added lifting in. I have never felt so good. Cleared up the heartburn, no body aches, fixed mood swings around my period, after a couple months cleared up my sweet tooth which had become ravenous.

I don't cook specific meals. I just eat the protein heavy portions of the meals I cook and go light on the more carb based things and get most of my carbs from vegetables and fruit as well as quinoa and the occasional bowl of rice which I love. I don't punish myself by saying no to anything except for certain gateway food drugs like jalapeño kettle chips ;) I just count carb intake and adjust when I need to.

• Like 1

I've been aiming for under 25 a day for the last four or five weeks. I've dropped a few pounds but haven't had the dramatic drop that I'd like, and that's a bit frustrating to me. I am quite happy with zucchini noodles for pasta, and cauliflower chopped finely made a nice sub for rice the other day. I've been experimenting with cheese "chips" for the crunchy munchy factor, plus I snack in salted almonds a lot. I've had some decent success with things to use instead of sugar in desserts too; last night I used unsweetened cocoa powder, plain full-fat cream cheese, a bit of butter, a splash of vanilla, and some pyure (stevia-erythritol blend) to make cheesecake bites that were pretty yummy.

I think lunch is the hardest. Breakfast is some combo of eggs cooked in butter, mushrooms, and cheese almost every single day, plus coffee with cream and stevia. Dinner is usually meat plus multiple non-stretchy veggies with cheese/butter/olive oil/nuts thrown in wherever we can. I'll admit to drinking diet sodas or diet flavored waters. Yes, I know they're terrible, but this is the first time in sixteen years I haven't been pregnant, nursing, or both (not by choice, of course), so I deserve a little slack. ;). But lunch. I hate lunch. I get tired of salad. I tend not to like meat enough to want it a second time a day. Deli turkey/roast beef and cheese gets boring. Our Giant has LC tortillas (4-6 net grams per, and one is plenty) that let me make a decent quesadilla. Cold weather is coming. I guess I need to figure out how to make some LC soups for my freezer.

Do I need to count fat and protein? That seems like more effort than I'd like. I really just want to eat mainly fat and protein foods when I'm hungry, plus some non-starchy veggies, and call it good without counting. But can too much fat stall weight loss?

I have been on a health weight loss journey for almost a year now and am down 85 pounds. My food plan is high protein and low carb, but not truly a Keto level,of low carbs.

Recently I hit s couple month slow weight loss and contacted my dieticiian. She lowered my carbs more and raised my fat allowance.

Those whisp things are so good!! I've been working on making my own with Parmesan or cheddar. Cheddar with chili powder was good. I found that I really, really need a silicon mat under them or they stick too badly. And I find that I need to cook them quite a bit longer than suggested in order to make them crispy.

I'm losing weight with a LCHF way of eating. 18lbs down and 14 to go. No ketosis goals as, for me, it's not a long term maintainable way of eating for me.

I am counting calories and protein/ fat/carb macros using MyFitnessPal. I aim for 1500 calories, 50g carbs, 93g protein and 99g fat. It's pretty low calorie, I know....2-3x a week I have a nighttime snack of wine and dark chocolate or cheese & wine LOL

I generally don't hit protein goals but come close. Calories wise I have to hit fairly close to my goal to consistently lose- low carb/high fat helps me not be hungry. I HAVE to count calories as my estimations are terrible.

I adjust dinner recipes to fit how I need to eat.

Sample day:

B: 2 egg omlette with cheese and bacon; coffee with cream

L: Tuna salad over lettuce;

D: Sausage kale and cauliflower soup (variation of zuppa toscana- heavy cream, bacon drippings and sausage make this a great HF option) I had a piece of GF bread with butter as well

Favorite snack: Cream cheese and cheddar stuff jalapenos wrapped with bacon

Wow, thanks everybody.

How many carbs are you eating daily, everyone?

I'm going to try for 20 carbs for now.

I'm at the highest weight ever and I am having horrible heartburn. My heartburn disappeared last time I low carbed so...

I don't count.  I just stick to low carb foods. 

If I had to guess I'd say 20-40. 

What diet is this that requires this sort of counting?  Is this Keto?

I don't really use recipes. I just cook my regular food but don't eat the carb parts; for example, if I make a pot roast with potatoes and carrots, I eat the roast and the carrots but not the potatoes or gravy.

Yeah actually most of the time I don't follow recipes either.  I don't make the carb parts either though.  So meat and veg.  Usually I do 2 veg sides, but not always.

Will decaf keep you up?

I don't like decaf. Just call me a coffee snob. Two cups in the morning and I am done for the day., unless I have leftovers, which I will ice and add cream. But it doesn't happen often.

Honestly I have been low fat for almost a year, which is why I am struggling to add fat back in.

What diet is this that requires this sort of counting? Is this Keto?

I am working with a bariatric clinic that does surgery and non surgery medical weight loss programs. Dieticians help,you get started and are there for support throughout your journey.

It's amazing and are becoming sought out as experts in their field.