Menu

Charter schools in Arizona?

My best friend lives in Phoenix and her kids attend an amazing charter school that I am jealous of but I believe it was a lottery based system. I could be wrong but I know it was hard for them to get in originally. They then moved away for a year and were lucky enough to get back in but I know she was worried that wouldn't be the case.

My best friend lives in Phoenix and her kids attend an amazing charter school that I am jealous of but I believe it was a lottery based system. I could be wrong but I know it was hard for them to get in originally. They then moved away for a year and were lucky enough to get back in but I know she was worried that wouldn't be the case.

We have charter schools, but not like California. At first I thought the op was talking about public charters too, but I believe she's referring to the kind that pay for the homeschooling curriculum you choose.

Edited by Barb_
  • Like 1

Yes, Vaquitita is referring to the unique homeschooling situation in CA, in which many homeschoolers choose to operate under a charter school which is publicly funded -- so the charter (i.e., the state) pays for (certain kinds of) schooling materials, and the parent schools at home. Here is a quick overview of CA charter schools for home-based education. A quick explanation of the CA homeschooling situation from that website:

"In some other states there is a legal definition for homeschooling and enrollment in a charter school program is legally not homeschooling. In California, however, we do not have a legal definition of the term homeschooling and so using a charter program is just one of the various ways to homeschool here."

Most everywhere else, the term "charter school" specifically refers to a publicly-funded traditional school (or virtual online school) through the public school system. That is the type of charter nixpix5's friend referred to (and if interested, that specific amazing Phoenix charter school is Archway Classical Academy).

Many areas have university-model schools, which are a hybrid of traditional brick and mortar school several days a week, and home/parent oversight of material sent home from the school on the other days of the week. But these are school-based, not homeschool-based.

I don't recall hearing of any other states with vouchers or charters or other situations in which homeschoolers receive money to pay for their homeschooling materials, which is what I believe Vaquitita is looking for. :)

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 1

We have charter schools, but like California. At first I thought the op was talking about public charters too, but I believe she's referring to the kind that pay for the homeschooling curriculum you choose.

She *is* talking about public charters. In California, some public charter schools are campus-based, and some are home-based. The home-based charter schools pay for instructional materials and whatnot. Students are public school students, not private school students (homeschoolers in California are the equivalent of private schools).

She *is* talking about public charters. In California, some public charter schools are campus-based, and some are home-based. The home-based charter schools pay for instructional materials and whatnot. Students are public school students, not private school students (homeschoolers in California are the equivalent of private schools).

Yes, yes I know. We have brick and mortar public charters. We also have home based charter schools like connections academy and K12 schools. We specifically do not have what the OP is looking for.

We have charter schools, but not like California. At first I thought the op was talking about public charters too, but I believe she's referring to the kind that pay for the homeschooling curriculum you choose.

Ahhhh gotcha! That is the type of co-op/charter we belong to. It is publicly funded and offers an array of amazing classes and extra curriculars plus they give us money for curriculum and provide a stocked library of curriculum we can check out for as long as we want. Parents of elementary kids stay on campus but teens can be dropped off. I am near Seattle though and my friend specifically said nothing like that existed in Arizona for her as a homeschool option so she went the full school charter route.

I seriously don't know what I would do without my charter/co-op option. It is the most amazing resource.

Just out of curiosity, not trying to hijack the post, but how much does California pay for curriculum? Here we get $650/child per year so for us $1,950 this year. The way our charter works though, most of the certificated teacher classes are free but the workshop classes (piano lessons, karate, ballet, pottery, musical theater, etc) there is a small fee per semester that you can use that money towards as well.

Edited by nixpix5
  • Like 1

Ahhhh gotcha! That is the type of co-op/charter we belong to. It is publicly funded and offers and array of amazing classes and extra curriculars plus they give us money for curriculum and provide a stocked library of curriculum we can check out for as long as we want. I am near Seattle though and my friend specially said nothing like that existed in Arizona for her as a homeschool option so she went the full school charter route.

I seriously don't know what I would do without my charter/co-op option. It is the most amazing resource.

Just out of curiosity, not trying to hijack the post, but how much does California pay for curriculum? Here we get $650/child per year so for us $1,950 this year. The way our charter works though, most of the certificated teacher classes are free but the workshop classes (piano lessons, karate, ballet, pottery, musical theater, etc) there is a small fee per semester that you can use that money towards as well.

Nice :) I would really love that.

My daughter's homeschool enrichment program at a ps http://www.mpsaz.org/eagleridge does allow parents to borrow materials from the resource room free of charge.  The enrichment program is free of charge, meaning it's publicly funded by the taxpayers.  It's only open to kids being legally homeschooled.  I don't think it counts as a charter school though, and no, they don't give you taxpayer funds to purchase your own curriculum.

Here’s a list of charter schools in AZ:https://www.ade.az.gov/charterschools/search/sitelist.asp

Ocean Grove, one of the biggest IEM (parent choice) schools gives about 2000 per year per child K-8 and 2400 for high school

Most people pay less than 300 for actual books and use almost all of the money for enrichment and fun classes such as horseback riding, ballet, tennis lessons, and on and on.

If you have 4 kids that's 8000.00 per year and for many living in this high COL area it's absolutely worth a little paperwork and a friendly meeting once a month.

They tend to drop out during high school becusde the paperwork increases significantly. But not everyone. I currently have several friends with high school students.

IMO with one or two kids it's not worth the hoops. :) plus I have moral Concerns to it with my Christian faith but that's another thread.

• Like 1

Ocean Grove, one of the biggest IEM (parent choice) schools gives about 2000 per year per child K-8 and 2400 for high school

Most people pay less than 300 for actual books and use almost all of the money for enrichment and fun classes such as horseback riding, ballet, tennis lessons, and on and on.

If you have 4 kids that's 8000.00 per year and for many living in this high COL area it's absolutely worth a little paperwork and a friendly meeting once a month.

They tend to drop out during high school becusde the paperwork increases significantly. But not everyone. I currently have several friends with high school students.

IMO with one or two kids it's not worth the hoops. :) plus I have moral Concerns to it with my Christian faith but that's another thread.

Wow! Jaw on the floor! That sounds amazing. We also have a few hoops. One friendly meeting per semester with our advisor and a monthly progress update via online portal. It isn't hard and it keeps me accountable and on task. They are fine with just about any philosophy (classical, CM, unschooling) you just have to do a wslp which is essentially the learning plan and objectives.

Obviously it is publically funded so you cannot purchase Christian curriculum or list it as a resource on your WSLP. I still use Christian curriculums and supplement and list supplements. You just cannot count those hours spent on Christian based curriculums.

Still...that is alot of funds. Very cool!

Yes they are very generous. But of course public schools here spend 16k per pupil and if you make 90k or less you are under the poverty line. Everything is just plain expensive.

I am a private homeschooler but a huge Fan and supporter of IEM. I believe they're really lobbying for the right thing and I hope they continue.

• Like 2

We were with a charter when we lived in CA. I miss those funds! It was up to about 3000 per child this year to use on any secular curriculum and enrichment classes and zoo passes and field trips, etc. It was awesome! But I am also enjoying my freedom this year of not having to do all the testing and monthly meetings. Plus I will save a lot on what it cost us to live there. There are always trade offs. But if you are in CA, it is an attractive option.

Edited by AdventuresinHomeschooling
  • Like 4

Yup this is the kind of thing I meant. It's a sweet deal. Lol

We are under the poverty line for this area so it makes a huge difference.

Edited by vaquitita

As your children get older you may consider a traditional brick and mortar charter - we have some decent choices here in the Tucson area - Greater Phoenix has more.

My DS has attended B&M charters since 7th grade.  No they certainly are not perfect but it is nice to have choices.

I do like your CA charter system which gives yet another choice. 

Can the funds be used to purchase Derek Owens type online classes?

MarkT- the curriculum or class or enrichment has to apply to be a vendor- it's about 5 pages of paperwork and I think a background check.

Derek Owens was looking into becoming a vendor. Most of the schools, classes, instructors I know became vendors because homeschool moms printed the papers, took it to them and convinced them it's a great idea :)

It does drive up some costs which make some things harder for private Homeschoolers. I know the co-op that accepts the public funds charges almost twice what the private Christian co-op charges. But for the ballet, horseback etc they tend to chrge exactly the same as they always did and twice I have been given a discount for being private because they don't have to file the paperwork and wait for the purchase order :) so it all seems to even out.

As far as the moral concerns, I will just chime in that I had the same concerns CalmingTea. Actually, I would say that it was more of a concern for my freedom in homeschooling. Homeschooling as a private homeschooler in CA is not very burdensome at all. What relieved those concerns for me is that some moms from my church were part of the charter and alleviated some of my concerns from their experience. I also met the teacher I would be assigned beforehand and loved working with her. I don't know that my experience would have been the same if I were assigned a different teacher, and a few other charters I researched looked very unappealing to me. So as with any educational decision, definitely do your homework and determine if it is the right fit for your child.

There's a charter here in our new state that some friends had so so experience with, and it's only 650 a year per student. I'm spoiled by CA, and I definitely don't think it's worth it to undergo testing 3-4x per year for this low amount. I'm enjoying my freedom more as I did recognize subtle ways the charter influenced things. Overall, it was a net positive for us, but one size doesn't fit all.

• Like 1