Menu

Online Curriculum Choice

MrsMully

Hello everyone!  I'm new to classically educating my four kids (13, 11, 10 & 7) and we are absolutely loving everything about the journey thus far.  This year we enrolled in a private, Christian Classical school that uses a University schedule.  My kids go to school 2 days a week and I homeschool (using the school's lesson plans) the other three days.  It has been working amazingly!  

Fast forward to this week and my husband (active duty military) just found out we have orders to Hawaii for early next year.  Although we are thrilled to be embarking upon a new adventure I'm terrified of how school will look for us.  I tried classically homeschooling my kids two years ago using Classical Conversations and it was not for us.  We absolutely love our school but there isn't another one like it in our new home.  

Do you have any recommendations for a Christian, Classical online education?  I'm thinking that if I have the added help of having an online lesson plan to follow and web classes and/or DVD's for the kids to use it might help keep us on track.  What have you used and liked?  What about disliked?  I'm also researching Abeka Academy, I know it's not WTM material but I'm desperate for anything that will help me keep them engaged without sacrificing the quality of their education.  Flexibility is very important to us so that we can capitalize on the beautiful scenery in our new home.  

Sorry if this comes off as rambling, I'm a bit scatterbrained while I process everything.  I will answer any questions you might have, I just need some advice!

Have you looked at Memoria Press? They have individual subjects or full curriculum packages that can be customized. They offer DVDs with many of their materials and they have an online academy that covers most of the harder to teach classes. Also, you can get individual lesson plans that lay things out day by day for you. You can find their site at www.memoriapress.com

BJU came to mind first for me, too. They have payment plans and discounts when you order through a Homeworks consultant. Mine like it very much. We are using everything but Reading and Heritage Studies this year.

I think the previous poster meant Veritas Press. 🙂

Edited by Paradox5

MP only works if your kids like workbooks and writing out answers to a million comprehension questions and memorizing and reciting. I LOVE MP for so many reasons but for so many reasons it is a bad word round here. Also, unless you are doing Latin, you need to supplement grammar. The original plans used Rod and Staff for grammar/writing and spelling. If you call the MP office, they still have those plans.