Menu

Ankle reconstruction surgery

MedicMom

Anyone have this? How was the recovery?

I am probably having surgery mid-October. I've already paid for a week at Great Wolf Lodge in the Poconos during the homeschool special week in December. Any chance I'll be walking around okay by then?

Not to mention we are just now financially recovering from DH's two ortho surgeries in the last two years, and now we get hit by this.

I had pins/plates put in - is that what you mean?  

What does your doctor say as far as recovery?  Mine did not go as planned, but I suspect most people do better than I did.  My doctor said I'd be back to normal in six weeks.  Three months after the surgery, I had to have another surgery to remove the pins/plates because they were causing a lot of pain - maybe tissue inflammation.  Again, I was told that I'd be back to normal quickly, but it didn't happen.  The doctors were baffled as to why I was still having pain and couldn't walk without limping.  

It took a full year from the original surgery to heal, but I made a full recovery.  It's been twenty years now since the surgery and I never experience any pain.  I am a runner and have been running ever since I was pain-free - I run fifty miles a week.  I feel so lucky!  That year was awful for me - I was so depressed and thought I would walk with a limp forever.  

Good luck to you and I hope your surgery and recovery go well!  I'm sorry about the expense.  I just had a medical emergency in July that set us back thousands of dollars - so frustrating.  :(

I have not had ankle reconstruction surgery, but I have had three surgeries on my foot. The last two took up to a full year before I could count on it not swelling.  Ice often, keep it elevated, and stay of it. Best of luck.  You can go to Great Wolf Lodge just bring your crutches or wheelchair. 

• Like 2