Menu

Keto diet help

Mama Geek

OK, I have done this before and lost weight on it, but I am trying to figure out how to make it simple.  We eat beef, chicken, fish, pork, bacon, ham, cheese, cream cheese, nuts, seeds, most veggies, most fruits.  Obviously I will cut out the bread, pasta, potatoes, and soda

Is the easy trick to this to fry the meats in oil (canola, olive oil, butter, etc.) and cover it with cheese to get enough fat and then to cut out fruit other than a small amount of strawberries and blueberries and do reasonable amounts of non starchy vegetables.  It seems like one other thing I did before was to drink coffee with heavy cream.

We like stuff like mashed cauliflower and spaghetti squash with either tomato sauce or alfredo sauce...is that type of thing still reasonable?

I am not a big avocado eater but am willing to try if someone has a good recipe for it.  What else am I missing?  Any other great tips?

I am planning on starting Saturday morning due to a big party tomorrow night at our house.

I think the best trick to actually lose weight on low carb/  Keto is to not force extra fat. Just don't seek out low fat. So eat the chicken with the skin, but don't smother it with oil on top of that. Add a pat of butter to your veggies if you want, but don't eat butter straight. A baked or broiled or grilled pork chop plus a salad with an oil based dressing is plenty of fat, you don't have to fry everything. I think the ones that end up not actually losing weight are the ones going overboard and eating "fat bombs" and such. 

Even not trying to get much fat I still can get 60% of my calories from it. 

• Like 2

I'm going to agree with both of the above posters. If you are worried about carb cravings and/or you have issues with sugar, then having the extra fat in the first week or two will help keep you satisfied and it will be an easier transition.

However, if you're looking to lose weight, then the sooner you get to Katie's suggestions, the better. Aim for 30grams of protein at each meal, some veggies, and fat to taste. Keep carbs at 20g per day. Don't worry about eating your full allotment of fat - your body will burn the extra fat it needs from your fat stores. But, do eat enough so that you're not hungry and not craving bad things.

• Like 3

I think the best trick to actually lose weight on low carb/ Keto is to not force extra fat. Just don't seek out low fat. So eat the chicken with the skin, but don't smother it with oil on top of that. Add a pat of butter to your veggies if you want, but don't eat butter straight. A baked or broiled or grilled pork chop plus a salad with an oil based dressing is plenty of fat, you don't have to fry everything. I think the ones that end up not actually losing weight are the ones going overboard and eating "fat bombs" and such.

Even not trying to get much fat I still can get 60% of my calories from it.

(Not on post topic, but related here) I had to leave a Whole30 fb group because they would not stop commenting on lack of "plated fat." It was ridiculous! All I could think was W30 is not Keto, and even the Keto groups don't jump on you if you're not asking!

I once posted a lazy meal pic consisting of a scoop of 75/25 ground beef, sweet potato spirals fried in olive oil, and a salad with olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Plenty of fat. Admin comment was "where's your plated fat? Some dump ranch or olives would be great!" Seriously?

The tomato sauce you'd want to eat sparingly but everything else looks fine.

Jason Fung sometimes has patients do a fat fast for various reasons. The goal is to get your body to use fat as energy quickly.

https://intensivedietarymanagement.com/

Facebook has some helpful Fung groups, too, including a recipe group. The members are very supportive but the moderators ask newbies to read Fung's blog/book and a few articles. You can glean a lot just by reading posts, though.

Not exactly food advice, but I find an app to track macros to be helpful. I use Carb Manager, but there are many.

I've just started using one called Baritastic and it is phenomenal. It is designed for bariatric patients, but anyone can use it. It does a great job of putting your protein, carbs, and net carbs right at the top so you can see them.

• Like 1

I've just started using one called Baritastic and it is phenomenal. It is designed for bariatric patients, but anyone can use it. It does a great job of putting your protein, carbs, and net carbs right at the top so you can see them.

Ooooh, I'm going to check that one out! Thanks!