Menu

Savannah

DawnM

The Crystal Beer Palace has a good variety of food to please all palates--as well as some great beer.

I love Savannah although I tend to stay away from the touristy riverfront and go elsewhere in the historic district. It is such a great place to wander!  SCAD and the Telfair often have some great exhibits.

Because I sew, I make a point of going to the fabric stores near SCAD which often have some unusual things.

I think that the Owens-Thomas house is rather interesting but that may depend on who you get as a guide.  Bonaventure Cemetery is a popular destination too but I have never been there. I tend to park the car and walk around.

Nor have I done a carriage tour but this might be fun if you have limited time for exploration. 

• Like 1

I big puffy heart love Savannah! I live in Charlotte and Savannah is our favorite weekend getaway, although sadly it's been about a year since we've been.

For a fun meal consider The Pirates House. It's supposed to be haunted but I never saw a ghost ;) The food is buffet style but very good. For a nicer meal, The Old Pink House is lovely. It's pricy, so if it's above your price range and  you are kid-free you could go downstairs and have a drink and appetizers in their bar. For a casual breakfast I love Goose Feathers and visit every time I'm in Savannah. Great baked goods and coffee, but they have hot breakfast selections as well. There is a fun, funky kitchen gadget stop nearby that I love to browse. 

One of those hop on/hop off trolleys is a great idea to get a sense of the history and layout of the historical center. But be prepared to walk. Just walking the streets, ogling the beautiful architecture and live oak trees and hanging out in the squares is what Savannah is all about. Walking is the best way to see the center. Bonaventure Cemetery is really neat. Forsythe Park is beautiful. If you are there on a Saturday morning there is a very nice farmers market in the park. SCAD owns many historic buildings in the center, and many are open to the public as small art galleries. If art is your thing you would enjoy it. 

I agree with the PP...I would avoid the touristy riverfront area. Not much there except mostly not-great touristy restaurants and shops and, after dark, a bunch of drunks coming out of the bars.  

Edited by tdbates78
  • Like 1

We did a trolley tour and really enjoyed that.  I don't think it was the on/off one.  It was an actual maybe 2-hour tour that takes you through the main areas and points out some of the major historic places.

We ate at the Olde Pink House restaurant.  It's in an 18th century mansion.  The main restaurant is kind of fancy, but we ate in their downstairs cellar tavern which was more casual.  We didn't get a full meal.  Just drinks and a burger, or something like that.

• Like 1

We love Leopold's ice cream! It's worth a visit. g

We also enjoy the bus tours. Yes, some can be hokey but we do usually learn a lot and see things that we want to visit after the tour is over.  I don't recall which one we took in Savannah but it was fun. 

I don't like super touristy stuff like the river walk but we had kids with us and we did it- and oh my sampling the pralines was worth the annoying tourist atmosphere. I'm a sucker for pralines though. 

This is why I have a few pounds to lose...two of my three suggestions involve food. 

• Like 1

I big puffy heart love Savannah! I live in Charlotte and Savannah is our favorite weekend getaway, although sadly it's been about a year since we've been.

For a fun meal consider The Pirates House. It's supposed to be haunted but I never saw a ghost ;) The food is buffet style but very good. For a nicer meal, The Old Pink House is lovely. It's pricy, so if it's above your price range and  you are kid-free you could go downstairs and have a drink and appetizers in their bar. For a casual breakfast I love Goose Feathers and visit every time I'm in Savannah. Great baked goods and coffee, but they have hot breakfast selections as well. There is a fun, funky kitchen gadget stop nearby that I love to browse. 

One of those hop on/hop off trolleys is a great idea to get a sense of the history and layout of the historical center. But be prepared to walk. Just walking the streets, ogling the beautiful architecture and live oak trees and hanging out in the squares is what Savannah is all about. Walking is the best way to see the center. Bonaventure Cemetery is really neat. Forsythe Park is beautiful. If you are there on a Saturday morning there is a very nice farmers market in the park. SCAD owns many historic buildings in the center, and many are open to the public as small art galleries. If art is your thing you would enjoy it. 

I agree with the PP...I would avoid the touristy riverfront area. Not much there except mostly not-great touristy restaurants and shops and, after dark, a bunch of drunks coming out of the bars.  

I am looking at the Pirate House and the menu shows ind. meals......can you do that OR the buffet or how does it work?

We aren't buffet people at all.  We tend to eat about half our meal and take the rest for later, or split meals.  None of us eats much at one sitting.