Menu

CLE/Evan-Moor to the rescue

fourisenough

So DD8 is a particularly tricky kiddo (by my standards, at least; my older 3 girls have all been very capable, motivated, and compliant, so my frame of reference may be a little off). I have joked that the first three were just a warm-up for parenting/educating her. 

On a whim, I decided right before the school year began to switch her to "get 'er done" curriculum. I jumped ship from a WTM inspired line-up to CLE and Evan-Moor for her core academics. She is now doing CLE Reading 3, Language Arts 3, and Math 3 and Evan-Moor Daily Science 3 and Daily Geography 3. The only additional work we're doing is TTRS for typing; AAS for spelling; and a homemade recitation. CLE/AAS/TTRS are daily and science/geography/recitation are 2 or 3 times per week. She takes outside classes for all enrichments. In addition to curriculum, we read aloud one chapter of a good book daily and she listens to about one hour of an audio-book while playing. Her day is about 4-5 hours long, including a few short breaks and a brief lunch break. Everything is getting done, she isn't pushing back about anything, and I even have time to help/work with my 7th grader as needed and act as guidance counselor to my HS Senior.

I'm stunned it is going so well. We're in our 4th week and finishing the first set of light units. A large part of how well she is doing is just her advancing maturity and being in a really good place with regard to her anxiety, but some of it is surely the curriculum change. Absolutely everything is open & go, do-the-next-thing. It is working very well for this child, in this season of her/my life. YMMV, but just wanted to throw this 'success' story out there!

• Like 11

My ds is very similar, with SN that make him do much better with do the next thing, very clear, predictable, consistent materials. I use a lot of ebooks from Evan Moor, Teacher Created, Carson Dellosa, and Scholastic. I spend a lot of time finding just the right thing. Like you, we spice it up with read alouds, games, audiobooks, etc.

That's exciting your dd is doing so well! That's the thing about being a veteran homeschooler--you know when things AREN'T going to work and it's time to move on. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

When my oldest was 8, we did similarly. It was perfect for him at the time. And you know what? Now he's taken a hard turn back toward Classical, which is perfect for him right now.

I so appreciate this kind of post. It's not the situation I'm in right now, but I always read posts about something like this that's working and squirrel away that info in my brain as a possible tool "in case" something changes. Love it. Thanks for sharing!

• Like 1