Menu

Where would I want to move thread....

3 ladybugs

DH and I were talking over the weekend and he said that in a few years he may be able to work at his current job remotely and just come in every so often to the mother ship (main office). 

So if we were hypothetically to move, where would we go? Our requirements:

Family lives in Florida, Washington, Oregon, Wisconsin (though don't know them really well), New Mexico, and Louisiana (distant family). We are currently in New Jersey. 

Has to be in the US

Has to be in an area that normally gets snow.

Can't get any hotter then here in the summer (NJ is hot and humid for a few days to a week or so in the summer)

Needs to be reasonable distance to a teaching hospital (I have a history of cancer)

Must have reasonable homeschooling laws (hopefully will not overwhelm me as I am in unregulated state now)

Must be in reasonable distance to an airport so DH can get to mother ship

A house that is at least 3 bedroom plus space (large bedrooms, or office, basement, outbuildings whatever) cost under $250K (with a yard

Must have some walkablity (ability to walk to something other then a park... preferably downtown area, even if it is a small downtown area)

Would like if it was near Amtrak as I LOVE the train. 

So where would I move?

I don't know if it meets all of your criteria, but I know that Spokane, WA would meet most.   I loved it there and would move back in a heartbeat.

Boise, ID is also nice - DD23 lives there and it is very nice.  I like Oregon but wouldn't want to live near Portland (just my personal preference).

• Like 2

A Portland, Oregon suburb might work--the housing under $250K will be tricky. How far from the airport can you be? Maybe something a bit rural (Woodburn?--I only mention it because I know the train goes through there--but I'm not even sure it stops there). OHSU is a great hospital. Snow may not happen every year, but it is a big deal to us when we do get it. Homeschooling laws are reasonable--declare intent and test in 3rd, 5th, 8th, and 10th grade.

• Like 1

A Portland, Oregon suburb might work--the housing under $250K will be tricky. How far from the airport can you be? Maybe something a bit rural (Woodburn?--I only mention it because I know the train goes through there--but I'm not even sure it stops there). OHSU is a great hospital. Snow may not happen every year, but it is a big deal to us when we do get it. Homeschooling laws are reasonable--declare intent and test in 3rd, 5th, 8th, and 10th grade.

Can you get a house in Milwaukie for that price?  I have friends who currently live there and my dad graduated from high school there.

I don't know if it meets all of your criteria, but I know that Spokane, WA would meet most.   I loved it there and would move back in a heartbeat.

Boise, ID is also nice - DD23 lives there and it is very nice.  I like Oregon but wouldn't want to live near Portland (just my personal preference).

I love Spokane's walkability downtown, even in the winter, with the walkways to connect buildings.  That would definitely be a plus.  

Boise is great, but not close enough to an ocean for me, but YMMV.  Skiing is great and there are lakes.

How about Bellingham, WA?  

Edited by DawnM

I personally would also want to move to a place where I'd fit in politically.  I used to love living here, until this past year when I realized I'm the odd duck out.

What if you live in an area that is diverse?   Here in NC, in the years I have lived here, we have gone both ways.....and there are pockets of more liberal and pockets of more conservative.

However, even when I lived in an area that was more one way, you find your "group" so to speak, don't you?

Can you get a house in Milwaukie for that price?  I have friends who currently live there and my dad graduated from high school there.

I don't know the Portland area well enough to know...but I believe prices all over have really gone up over the last few years.

OP, I'm reminded that WA has no income tax, and OR has no sales tax. I always thought that Vancouver WA would be a good place to live. It's pretty much a Portland suburb in WA.  I have no idea what their housing costs are like though.

• Like 1

I personally would also want to move to a place where I'd fit in politically.  I used to love living here, until this past year when I realized I'm the odd duck out.

That is like finding a unicorn for me. We are conservative but LOVE public transportation. If price were no object, we would move back to Cambridge, MA as we loved it there. However we could never afford it there unless we moved to a 2 bedroom with 3 kids (maybe more). 

I don't know the Portland area well enough to know...but I believe prices all over have really gone up over the last few years.

OP, I'm reminded that WA has no income tax, and OR has no sales tax. I always thought that Vancouver WA would be a good place to live. It's pretty much a Portland suburb in WA.  I have no idea what their housing costs are like though.

I grew up in Vancouver. I spent the first 18 years of my life there. It would take a LOT to get me to go back. Most of my family is in the area though. Not enough snow for my needs either. Yeah it snows sometimes, but not nearly enough. Though out here the last few years have been sparse with snow. :(

It won't meet your family requirements, but among folks I've talked with recently from MN, they love it there and it sounds like it will meet all the others. (I don't know a thing about homeschooling regs though.)  I'd be looking at Rochester and St Paul.

Depends on what part of Wisconsin her family is in. If your family is in western Wisconsin Minnesota might be a place to consider. We're south of St. Paul and recently bought a 4bed/2bath home for <250k. Not new construction, but good condition in a nice neighborhood, close to shopping and a nice park and walking trails. Many Minnesota towns have lots and lots of walking trails! Less than 30 minutes from the airport, and just over an hour from Rochester and Mayo Clinic. And yes, there's snow. :)

ETA: Amtrak does pass through the Twin Cities. Homeschooling is letting your neighborhood school know you're homeschooling, and do standardized testing in certain subjects during certain grades.

I spent 11 years in SW Washington. Snow was usually a once-a-year event, and practically everything shut down if it was more than a few inches because the cities don't keep plows.

Edited by Xuzi
  • Like 1

What if you live in an area that is diverse?   Here in NC, in the years I have lived here, we have gone both ways.....and there are pockets of more liberal and pockets of more conservative.

However, even when I lived in an area that was more one way, you find your "group" so to speak, don't you?

Diverse would be lovely! I would prefer diverse.

I'm working on finding my group and they're not in the places where all of my social networks are, so I'm starting from scratch.

• Like 1

We are in Western Iowa and it has zero reporting. Close enough to Omaha for the airport. Hot Summers and cold Winters. Omaha had a couple teaching hospitals, and I think Council Bluffs Iowa has one as well. Housing in the smaller towns here is pretty reasonable, although some ate gaining popularity as people as the wanting to get out of the city.

Boise, on the other hand, has 1/3 as much crime as Spokane - having moved around a lot, that is a big deal.  We drove through Boise on the way to Bend, OR (from Colorado) and it was absolutely beautiful.  I'd live there in a second.  DH did not like the drivers on the highways as they like to drive slowly in the left lane.

Denver is terrific for teaching hospital, natural winter, and it is a central airport hub and driving location. I saw every state in the country (except Alaska) when I lived in Denver. It's halfway to everywhere. Especially compared to here.

Denver is terrific for teaching hospital, natural winter, and it is a central airport hub and driving location. I saw every state in the country (except Alaska) when I lived in Denver. It's halfway to everywhere. Especially compared to here.

But isn't housing much more expensive that $250k for what she wants? It seems like many of the places people are suggesting have very expensive housing.

But isn't housing much more expensive that $250k for what she wants? It seems like many of the places people are suggesting have very expensive housing.

There's Denver and there's "Denver". I was thinking regionally. 😊

Boise and Spokane have affordable housing and snow. Idaho has no homeschooling rules whatsoever and the local schools allow you to participate in any sport or class or activity you want. Oregon and Washington are higher COL than Idaho overall but Spokane is reasonable. The Boise airport is nice, there are generally good reasonable flights but the security line is short except for the first flight out on a Sunday or Monday morning. Boise has a walkable downtown and a green belt for cycling, it is a bike friendly town with a lot to do if you like outdoors stuff, but they also have a Shakespeare festival, Birds of Prey museum, and several other cool indoor activities.

LaCrosse, WI is beautiful but the airport is really small and flights in and out of there are expensive, or you drive 2 1/2 hours to Minneapolis St. Paul airport for cheaper flights. I think they do have train access, though, I am not sure. I do not know about their housing costs, either.

My son has a chronic health condition, we have been to the ER in more than half a dozen different states (military moves and vacations.) Boise has the shortest average ER wait time of anywhere we have lived or visited and two very good hospital systems. My husband has family in Boise, he has a cousin who did an internship as a nurse in a Boise hospital and works there now.

Boise and Spokane get a bit hot in the summer but it is a dry heat, and Boise cools down at night and in the morning, Spokane may, too. LaCrosse, WI does not get as hot on average in the summer but is more humid.

Edited by ElizabethB

Nope. I have family there and their 3 bed, 1.75 bath house is 350k+ and is 1300 square feet. That pretty much sums up why I will never move back to PDX. 

• Like 2

Does it meet her requirement of finding a house for under $250K?

It won't meet your family requirements, but among folks I've talked with recently from MN, they love it there and it sounds like it will meet all the others. (I don't know a thing about homeschooling regs though.)  I'd be looking at Rochester and St Paul.

Everyone I know who has lived in MN has loved it.   

• Like 1

Nope. I have family there and their 3 bed, 1.75 bath house is 350k+ and is 1300 square feet. That pretty much sums up why I will never move back to PDX. 

Darn.  I know my friends (who don't have a lot of $$) moved there from Seattle about 15 years ago now and said it was affordable for them, but that was.....15 years ago.   :crying:

It is unfortunate that so many cities are so expensive now, even areas that didn't used to be.

I've lived several places and now live in western PA.  I love it!  We get all four seasons, but it's generally more moderate than we experienced in the Midwest.  Fall colors are amazing.  A little snow, but often not lots. Pittsburgh has Amtrak, a great airport and great medical facilities. Housing is exceedingly affordable,  In the right community you could find what you wanted for half of 250K.  Homeschool laws here are a bit more burdensome than in other areas we've lived, but not at all difficult once you get used to them and you could always find a house right across the border in Ohio and still be close to all the amenities.  

• Like 1

Well, I love it over here in central PA, but it doesn't quite meet all of your requirements. (I think walkable towns are hard. I'm thinking of a couple of the cute little towns near me. Even if loved in town instead of in the country, walkable only gets me so far. Like, library, post office, bank, and doctor's office are walkable, but not the grocery store.)

I agree with Garga on the political thing. Here is not always the perfect political and religious fit for me, but it's way better than some of the areas we've lived.

But my main point in posting was to say that if you find the perfect place, don't let the Homeschool laws scare you. Even though we live in a "difficult" state for homeschooling, the laws really are just not that big of a deal. It's just stupid hoops to jump through.

• Like 1

My cancer was very rare and not a whole lot of people survive it. Mainly because it hides and people don't find it till it spreads. Mine was found early (by the grace of God!) so I went into remission and here I am 7 years later. However I need doctors that are able to deal with this and have seen this type of cancer. When I was diagnosed I was at a smaller hospital and the doctor took one look at the diagnosis and immediately sent me to the bigger teaching hospital to be treated. It was a cross between Hodgkins and Non-hodgkins lymphoma. 

• Like 2

My cancer was very rare and not a whole lot of people survive it. Mainly because it hides and people don't find it till it spreads. Mine was found early (by the grace of God!) so I went into remission and here I am 7 years later. However I need doctors that are able to deal with this and have seen this type of cancer. When I was diagnosed I was at a smaller hospital and the doctor took one look at the diagnosis and immediately sent me to the bigger teaching hospital to be treated. It was a cross between Hodgkins and Non-hodgkins lymphoma. 

I would think you couldn't go wrong being close to Mayo... another pro for checking into MN.

• Like 1

I would think you couldn't go wrong being close to Mayo... another pro for checking into MN.

LaCrosse, WI also has a Mayo affiliated hospital and another major medical center that at least in my opinion, is even better (not better than Mayo in Rochester, but better than the Mayo affiliate in LaCrosse). I can't say enough good things about the cancer treatment my dad received at Gunderson Lutheran. He had one of the top doctors in the country for his type of leukemia and everything about his ten years of care was excellent. It was a huge blessing for my parents.

Likely, a good swath of southwest WI and southeast MN would work for you, depending on exactly how close you want to be to a major airport and the size of city you desire.

• Like 2