Menu

History - what am I wanting?

3girls4me

Hi ladies,

So I am trying to pick something to start with my kiddos in January. We will want to start at the Civil War roughly. My philosophy of education is moving more in the direction of CM, but not entirely. My homeschool "mentors" are Circe and Center for Lit if that helps. Here are some things I like about different curricula out there. The book choices of A Gentle Feast, HOD, and Ambleside. The essay and research assignments of Beautiful Feet. The simplicity of SCM that leaves ample room for discussion. We aren't much of a project/crafty family. I enjoy being in the same time period but realize a 7th grader won't be reading what a 2nd grader is. I want restful learning, but deep discussions, assignments of some sort, and flexibility. I don't want to pick a few books and plan it all myself, but don't want to be enslaved to boxes. I'm particularly intrigued by A Gentle Feast and Wayfarers. I believe in narration and definitely want to include it, but also want to incorporate more than just that. (Like BF assignments) That said - I don't really want to use BF.

Any suggestions of where to start?

How you looked at Simply Charlotte Mason History? It schedules some books but allows for flexibility, it provides dig deeper questions, it is reasonably priced. I really like it. We own Ancient Egypt and I tapped into it loosely last year when using SOTW and Biblioplan. It also coincides with their visits geography curriculum. Might be worth looking at their samples :)

I use Wayfarers, and am definitely a CM mom who has considered many of the programs you have shared. Wayfarers is very much a menu, not a strict plan. Not every enrichment book lines up perfectly with the History of Science spines, so you may pick and choose as you have time, and as your children have interest. For us, Wayfarers is the skeleton of our homeschool program that keeps us moving forward, and continually gives me excellent choices to offer to my kiddos. It does not have discussion questions impeded in the program, nor research assignments, although those elements may be in some of the curriculums that are scheduled. We do a lot of discussion, narration--sometimes very creative narrations, such as a character interview are suggested in Wayfarers. Wayfarers is also very cost effective for us as we utilize our library for as many of our reading choices as possible. 

SCM! If you use a guide, there are a few additional assignments listed in the exam sections. Plus the visual aspect of The Stuff They Left Behind. We also add Draw and Write Through History.

It's the perfect solution to HOD busywork.😊 (we're loving it this year)

So I'm kind of mixing A Gentle Feast and Beautiful Feet this year.

I adore A Gentle Feast. I'll be doing a thorough review of it later this year on my blog, but suffice it to say that this is the family style learning CM curriculum that's been needed for so long. The book choices are top notch, and the teacher helps (which are available through a password protected page on the website once you purchase a package) and the suggestions for how to combine multiple forms (grades) are actually practical and useful. It would fit what you want perfectly except there aren't any of the essay and research assignments of BF. Gentle Feast is strictly CM which means that narrations are all of the output expected in the program. She does give various ways to have your child narrate that go beyond the traditional tell it back to me or write it down for me. I also missed those discussion questions, essay and research assignments so, since I already have the two BF early American history guides in my house, I'm pulling questions and ideas from those as we touch on the same topics in A Gentle Feast. It's working really, really well.

Thankfully the BF guides are cheap, especially if you purchase them as a digital download, so it's not cumbersome to add it into A Gentle Feast. Is it necessary? No, but I think they compliment each other very well. 

SCM! If you use a guide, there are a few additional assignments listed in the exam sections. Plus the visual aspect of The Stuff They Left Behind. We also add Draw and Write Through History.

It's the perfect solution to HOD busywork.😊 (we're loving it this year)

Hmmm...I didn't know about the extras in the back. Is there a sample anywhere? I don't see it on the regular sample?

So I'm kind of mixing A Gentle Feast and Beautiful Feet this year.

I adore A Gentle Feast. I'll be doing a thorough review of it later this year on my blog, but suffice it to say that this is the family style learning CM curriculum that's been needed for so long. The book choices are top notch, and the teacher helps (which are available through a password protected page on the website once you purchase a package) and the suggestions for how to combine multiple forms (grades) are actually practical and useful. It would fit what you want perfectly except there aren't any of the essay and research assignments of BF. Gentle Feast is strictly CM which means that narrations are all of the output expected in the program. She does give various ways to have your child narrate that go beyond the traditional tell it back to me or write it down for me. I also missed those discussion questions, essay and research assignments so, since I already have the two BF early American history guides in my house, I'm pulling questions and ideas from those as we touch on the same topics in A Gentle Feast. It's working really, really well.

Thankfully the BF guides are cheap, especially if you purchase them as a digital download, so it's not cumbersome to add it into A Gentle Feast. Is it necessary? No, but I think they compliment each other very well.

This sounds really intriguing. I had actually thought about using the BF guide for assignments to go with SCM, but I suppose it would work well with anything 😊

I'll look forward to seeing your review of AGF.

Hmmm...I didn't know about the extras in the back. Is there a sample anywhere? I don't see it on the regular sample?

It's not in any samples, but at the end of each term, there are "exam questions" for each level. Most are essay suggestions. One that I like suggests placing people and events on a world map. I've thought of doing that over the course of the year. There are also hands on activities links for each guide.
  • Like 1

And, for what it's worth, I also have a BF guide that I am referring to for assignment ideas. If nothing else I might just use the essay prompts. Sadly the Middle Ages books for SCM and BF don't match up very well, so I am not using BF as much as I thought I would.

And, for what it's worth, I also have a BF guide that I am referring to for assignment ideas. If nothing else I might just use the essay prompts. Sadly the Middle Ages books for SCM and BF don't match up very well, so I am not using BF as much as I thought I would.

Sorry for a little highjack here...

KeriJ,

Have you ever used Biblioplan?

How long hve you used SCM?

I am using BP this year, but I really debated between the 2.

Pam

Sorry for a little highjack here...

KeriJ,

Have you ever used Biblioplan?

How long hve you used SCM?

I am using BP this year, but I really debated between the 2.

Pam

I've never used Biblioplan. I've used SCM loosely for years. This year we are using it as-written though.

I'm wondering now based on the replies of Chelli and Keri - what made you choose AGF over SCM or SCM over AGF?

AGF looks great. It's on my list to consider for the future. But I tend to wait until something has been around for a little while longer before I jump on board. I'm also not a big fan of 2 streams of history. And I didn't need a whole program, just history.

For SCM, I love the book choices. I prefer them to AGF's choices. I've also appreciated all the wisdom I have gotten from Sonya over the years, so there's a loyalty factor. I think SCM's materials are beautifully done. (we love the Picture Study Portfolios)

Those are the reasons that come to mind off the top of my head.

• Like 1