Menu

Book a Week 2017 - BW 38: September Equinox

Robin M

Oh Jenn!  I finally got around to watching the video this morning.  I think The Boy may need a Melodica for Christmas!!

That would be delightful!  The Melodica Men have all sorts of fun covers of famous classical works, the videos of which are constantly shared by musician friends on FB. If you do get one for the boy, send him to their YouTube channel.

Jenn's YouTube just provided entertainment for the DC's, before I knew it we were all watching because they didn't believe me when I said it was opera.

On with opera info because obviously I had to explain why opera was relevant to my BaW friends. Dd wants everyone to know there is a Discworld with opera.....Maskerade.

Tell your Dd Maskerade is in my dusty TBR stack, and has been for quite a while. Guess I should finally read it, eh? And if your kids ever balk at your reading suggestions, just know my ds is following your lead and reading both Rise and Fall of DODO and The Historian.

• Like 14

I like the Blandings books. I have not read any of the Psmith books. My library doesn't have them. 

I "liked" your post but really!  Your library needs to get it together.  ;)

A one day only classic that is currently free for Kindle readers ~

A Room with a View by E. M. Forster 

"One of English literatureĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s most inspiring love stories

Lucy Honeychurch is a young woman torn between the opposing values of gray old England and vibrant Italy in this unforgettable story of romance and rebellion. On a trip to Florence with her older cousin and chaperone, Lucy becomes enchanted by a freedom unlike any she has known at home. The excitement she feels when she is with George Emerson, a fellow boarder at the Pension Bertolini, is as exhilarating as it is confusing, and their intoxicating kiss in a field of violets threatens to turn her whole world upside down. Back at Windy Corner, her familyĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s Surrey estate, Lucy must finally decide if the power of passion is greater than the force of expectation.

Widely recognized as one of the finest novels of the twentieth century, A Room with a View is E. M. ForsterĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s most hopeful work and a truly timeless romance."

This Forster fan was just talking about this book with a friend. We have a mutual friend who is going to Florence later in the fall.  We both thought this is the book she should read.

I love Forster...

• Like 14

Tell your Dd Maskerade is in my dusty TBR stack, and has been for quite a while. Guess I should finally read it, eh? And if your kids ever balk at your reading suggestions, just know my ds is following your lead and reading both Rise and Fall of DODO and The Historian.

:lol: If he hasn't read Dracula recently he probably will like The Historian better if he does. That being said both BF and I read it the first time totally independently when it first came out and loved it. Neither had read Dracula in years so probably doesn't matter in terms of basic enjoyment.

Looking forward to his opinion on DODO. My dd hasn't had time yet. :( Sometimes I really miss being in charge of school and being able to have the occasional day off just because,......

• Like 13

Guys, I have a fantasy. And it involves being able to do justice to a write-up of my experience reading Independent People. Alas, I am just slammed with stuff from morning until evening these days so instead of waiting until I have time to do a full review, I'll just do what I can for now. (And thank Jane for suggesting it to me.)

I think I'm developing a soft spot for books with unlikeable main characters, in this novel a sheep farmer named Bjartur. Perhaps there's some part of me that rebels against the standard model of the protagonist-as-hero left over from my childhood, or from all the read-alouds I've been doing for my own children. I think it started with Ignatius Reilly in A Confederacy of Dunces, of all things. Apparently there's a certain type of alluring main character that makes me want to throw my hands in the air, without making me actually throw my hands in the air.  :laugh:

Anyway, when I started the book I was expecting a serious epic set in Iceland, and it was. Despite Jane's warning, I didn't expect the utter frustration I would feel at the characters, especially surrounding major events in the plot. Their strange mix of willpower and laissez-faireism is something beyond my comprehension and I am still unable to determine how much of it is cultural based upon time and location vs the author's sense of humor and desire to paint interesting characters, not to mention his endeavor to develop a bit of an unlikely ending in order to make a political point.

I very much appreciated the thread of sly (and sometimes not-so-sly) humor running through a story so bleak. And some of the factors were very modern: much of the plight of small farmers, the banks, the politics, the factors people use to decide how to vote, etc would be perfectly applicable to society in the U.S. today.

I grew fond of most of the characters and as the years went by in the book they became like old friends or foes. I felt I was enduring in the small turf house along with the family, and it hurt my heart when their guilelessness and lack of sophistication impacted them as they grew older. The old grandmother was a wonderful character, with her annual Christmas ear cleaning. One description of her may have been my favorite line of the book, but sadly I forgot to write it down before retuning the book to the library. Paraphrasing, Laxness likened her continued existence to "a flame the Lord had forgotten to snuff out." 

All in all, it's brilliant novel and I can see why Jane recommended it. This one would be good for a re-read some day when I have more time.

This is another book I'd like to get to before the end of the year; I think this may have to be my next German read.  It's been sitting on my shelf for a while now!  It's yet another one on my short-list that's chunky - is it over 500 pp in English too?  So much to read, so little time.

This week it seems I've had more time to listen to than to read books, so looks like I'll be done with the very very long Mandela autobiography soon, but I have yet to even catch up in W&P.  Making slow progress, though.

• Like 14

War and Peace has an opera, in case you aren't already using it for a big bingo square.

Ooo... I had it down for "Characters need saddles", but I'm not going to finish that row, so it would be of more use in Opera!  Seems a shame to read such a tome and then not get to check off a useful square for it! :tongue_smilie:

Is there an opera in the book, or do you mean it was made into an opera?

• Like 15

That is some desk. It's bit over the top for me but maybe if I was as successful as she was then I'd go the same route with home decorating.

I'm still working on Harry Potter 5 (HP & the Order of the Phoenix). I'm about 1/3 of the way in (300 of about 900 pages). Up to this point, I've given the first four books 5-star ratings. But, if I had to rate this one right now, I'd give it 4-stars. I don't mind the darker shift in the storyline, but it's too wordy. And that's bugging me because I feel like it is less precisely written &/or edited.

Want to finish it soon (not sure this week will allow it) because I'd like to move on to some of my Frankenstein & related readings. And because it will give me a break from the 'series reading' albatross. :tongue_smilie:

I love the whole series but the later ones don't have the same charm that the earlier ones did. I also think they suffer from the "who dares edit the world's most successful author" syndrome.

You were looking for romances that a non-romance reader who likes Heyer might like, yes?

The Heyer-esque books I can think of which are equally G-rated:

Joan Smith's name often comes up on these lists and I've read her Letters to a Lady and found it enjoyable enough to finish, but not to feel I want to seek out more.

Great list Eliana! I don't have much to add to it except that the Joan Smith books vary widely in quality. I recommend starting with:

Imprudent Lady

These are great books for a pre-teen that likes romance but you don't really want to just turn loose on the romance genre yet. My DD read lots of them at 11 and then moved onto GH.

Audible is having another sale, this one ends Thursday. I have so many I would like but need to limit. They add up at $5 a pop. I've been listening to samples and trying to pare down the list based on which ones might be better to read in print than to listen on audio. And still my list is too long. Some of the books that have been discussed recently, including The Year of Living Danishly, Child 44, The Better Angels of our Nature, News of the World, and many more we've talked about are on the sale list.

Thank you. My DH just went through and bought a bunch of books for himself. 

After I finished my book this evening and entered it onto my list, I realized this has been a "green" year: besides the Henry Green, I've read two Graham Greenes, Kingsley Amis's The Green Man, and the Scottish classic The House With the Green Shutters.

Oh, and can I count the Henry Green as a "Flufferton"? It's set in an Irish country house in the Second World War, and is an upstairs-downstairs novel chiefly about the love affair of the head butler and an under-maid. Do I have the genre right?

Oh yeah. That works.

Thank you from me, too, for posting the sale. I just picked up Rebecca, a classic I've never read. 

Enjoy. That's one of those books where the first read of it is always a wonderful treat. There are not many that fall in the category but the ones that do remain in your mind forever. I can literally remember where I was when I first read the ending to both Murder on the Orient Express and The Murder of Roger Ackroyd because the ending was just so splendid.

I'd like to start a new challenge - one in which I fly to stay at the home of one of you book-a-weekers long enough to sit in your house and finish a novel, then, off to the next house. I'm definitely in the mood for escapism after the hurricane drama, other drama and plain ole tired of summer weather here drama. Anyone having that kind of week?

Great. And in the morning I'm making waffles. 

Our guest room is called the Miss Marple room because it is decorated just as it would have been if it was Miss Marple's bedroom. Comfy and cozy and plenty of books to read. I love having company so before my parents book a trip they always ask if the Miss Marple room is booked for that weekend or no. DH and I joke that we probably need two guest bedrooms.

• Like 14

This is another book I'd like to get to before the end of the year; I think this may have to be my next German read. It's been sitting on my shelf for a while now! It's yet another one on my short-list that's chunky - is it over 500 pp in English too? So much to read, so little time.

Ayup. Too many chunksters, so little time? Edited by Jane in NC
  • Like 12

Is there an opera in the book, or do you mean it was made into an opera?

You mean you don't closely read and memorize every post I write?  :svengo:  :laugh:  

There is indeed an epic opera based on War and Peace which has a very epic back story all its own. I posted about it last week, and will attempt to link to that specific post...

Epic post about epic opera based on epic novel

• Like 14

DH has to be in that part of Brussel about once per week, as the headquarters of his job are there, so he knows the ins and outs, going by is also stressfull as we have to walk the last kilometers through that traffic...

This part of Brussels has absolute no waffle stands, but good to realise Brussel is be loved by others.

When we lived there, I was so nervous to drive. I did learn how to get to some favorite places via bus. 

Ă¢â‚¬â€¹Waffles, chocolate, frites....mmmmmm...we loved eating in Brussels. One of my favorite things to do was stand in the middle of the Grand PlaceÂ Ă¢â‚¬â€¹and listen to the music of all the different languages flowing by. 

• Like 14

Some recent reads here ~

Empyrean (The Leron Series Book 1)  by Nicole L. Bates.  This was a pleasant science fiction romance, but I had hoped for a little something more. That said, I did read all 492 pages rather than cast it aside, so ....

"An alien prophecy meets a human quest for survival in this other-world science fiction adventure.

Jahira Williams has always been most at home on a flight deck. When a tragic accident destroys the generation starship, Aquilo, Jahira is forced to start a new life on the ground on a planet that should never have been colonized.

Her grief is soon overshadowed by worry for her friend and co-pilot, Magnar. Jahira witnesses Magnar drinking from the planet's mysterious silver pools. When his erratic behavior takes a turn for the worse, she knows she must find a way to help him, but has no idea what to do.

Meanwhile, Krnar, a native inhabitant of the planet Leron, risks everything to prove his worth to himself and his people. He believes he could be the one to fulfill the prophecy. What he discovers will change his life forever."

On another site, I'm participating in a challenge to read a self-published book.  I read several.

The Necromancer's Dance (The Beacon Hill Sorcerer Book 1) by SJ Himes

This story featured (surprise!) a famed necromancer, Angelus, and a vampire, Simeon, and is set in modern day Boston. When the story begins after the men are well acquainted, but they spend a lot of time together as the necromancer is under attack by someone unknown. I was a little lost initially but ultimately enjoyed the story and would like to read the next book in this series. ItĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s not clear to me if this is the same world as the authorĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s Wolfkin Saga which I preferred.

If It Ain't Love by Tamara Allen

This was a lovely piece (about 40 pages) set in Depression era New York featuring a newspaper writer who has lost his mojo and a young man that he meets. It ends with great promise for the menĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s future and is not graphic. IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ve read and enjoyed other historical romances by this author.  It is currently free to Kindle readers.

Maps (Life According to Maps Book 1) by Nash Summers

This was an enjoyable young adult story (about 80 pages and G-rated) featuring a rather geekish teen, Maps, and a new neighbor, Lane, who was not the stereotypical athlete. There were understanding parents and a Satan-spawn six year old (LaneĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s sister). I laughed aloud several times while reading this. There are two further episodes that IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢d like to read.

Dead In L.A. (L.A. Paranormal Book 1)  by Lou Harper

This 106 page collection featured Jon, a man with baggage, and Leander, a psychic, who become roommates and then more. In each of the two stories, a mystery is solved using LeanderĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s talents. I enjoyed this book and would happily read more by the author.

This was a short story about two college students, set in England, and taking place over the course of a couple of days.  These young men have seen each other previously and been attracted to each other but have had little interaction.  It's a challenging time for one of those students as an angry ex-boyfriend has posted intimate pictures online.  I don't want to give away too much, but it's an enjoyable story.  I'd happily read more by this author.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 12

I tried reading Stephen King's 11/22/63 a few years ago. (I have never read Stephen King, nor is he someone I would normally read. But, I thought the premise of the book sounded promising enough to make me try it.)

I had the same feeling as you -- "who dares to edit such a successful author?!" syndrome for that book. I made it through 100 overly-gross pages.  :rolleyes:  With a great editor, it could have been 20 pages. Should have been 20 pages. I stopped at that point.

I used to be an avid Stephen King fan in my earlier days. My favorite is The Stand. I too had high hopes for 11/22/63 but could only get about halfway into it - I never did actually get into it though; I think you summed it up precisely -- lack of proper editing.

Loesje :grouphug: to your daughter. I'm so sorry.

I'm so sorry; this must be a disappointment.

I think Loesje and her dd need some tea, comfy chairs, books and cats.  

:grouphug: to you both.

And chocolate!

Hugs all around.

and hand-knitted cozy socks.

• Like 12

Oh, Loesje. :grouphug:  to you & your dd.

Loesje :grouphug: to your dd and you. I know you had very little information on what was required. Did they at least provide feedback that will be helpful in preparation for a retake?

How disappointing.  Will she retake?  If so, I wish her well.

Regards,

Kareni

Loesje :grouphug: to your daughter. I'm so sorry.

Hugs. I am so sorry.

I think Loesje and her dd need some tea, comfy chairs, books and cats.  

:grouphug: to you both.

And chocolate!

Hugs all around.

I used to be an avid Stephen King fan in my earlier days. My favorite is The Stand. I too had high hopes for 11/22/63 but could only get about halfway into it - I never did actually get into it though; I think you summed it up precisely -- lack of proper editing.

I'm so sorry; this must be a disappointment.

and hand-knitted cozy socks.

Ah, shucks. That's disappointing. I hope she can retake it and get a better score.

Thank you all!

DD is hartwarmed by all your hugs, tea , cats, books, en chocolate suggestions!

She thinks it would be a lovely les program for today ;)

There is no feedback provided, so we have no idea what to improve.

Dd is able to retake the exam, but the final grade will be weighed with the written? Exam.

Realizing even native speakers fail this particular oral exam we have to think about what to do.

• Like 12

Loesje, No feedback is just not right! :( Are past papers or something similar available for the written? I hope your dd is having a restful day today filled with nice things.

I have been reading some of the blogs I follow and ran into this post https://www.needlenthread.com/2017/09/stitching-listening-entertainment-options-for-needleworkers.html discussing listening alternatives including audible. As someone who does not have an audible subscription but wonders occasionally if I would like one I found this article pretty informative. Right now my overdrive serves me well but a little research is a good thing.

Edited by mumto2
  • Like 13

img_3539.jpg?w=640

Mission accomplished! Finished War and Peace on Tuesday night. I chose the three-volume EverymanĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s Library edition (Maude translation) and persuaded my husband to join me in the challenge. And here we are! Thank you, Robin!

• Like 15

Well Done!!

It looks even more impressive this way :)

img_3539.jpg?w=640

Mission accomplished! Finished War and Peace on Tuesday night. I chose the three-volume EverymanĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s Library edition (Maude translation) and persuaded my husband to join me in the challenge. And here we are! Thank you, Robin!

• Like 10

Loesje, No feedback is just not right! :( Are past papers or something similar available for the written? I hope your dd is having a restful day today filled with nice things.

I have been reading some of the blogs I follow and ran into this post https://www.needlenthread.com/2017/09/stitching-listening-entertainment-options-for-needleworkers.html discussing listening alternatives including audible. As someone who does not have an audible subscription but wonders occasionally if I would like one I found this article pretty informative. Right now my overdrive serves me well but a little research is a good thing.

I case of failing an exam one can request an 'inzage' (look session?)

Which means we have to travel again to Brussel to see the marks of the examinators.

But as this is an oral exam there is not much too see.

There are no past papers for the written part. 

We know the written exam covers: listening, reading, writing and takes 2,5 hours and is 'about' B1 level French. As dd is in the languages track I expect they expect closer to B2

• Like 8

You mean you don't closely read and memorize every post I write?  :svengo:  :laugh:  

There is indeed an epic opera based on War and Peace which has a very epic back story all its own. I posted about it last week, and will attempt to link to that specific post...

Epic post about epic opera based on epic novel

Seems like I may have skimmed past that the first time.  :blushing:  :leaving:      :laugh:

Okay,so I'm totally using that for the Opera square.  Yay!!

• Like 9

Loesje I'm sorry about your dd.  :grouphug: Your plan to think about what to do instead of rushing to take the exam again sounds like the right choice.

Something that a lot of people don't realize, and even that post doesn't mention, is that you do not have to have a paid subscription to Audible to buy books from there. You won't get credits for free books and you won't get a membership discount, but if you only occasionally want to buy an audio book a non-paid membership is the way to go. You do have to have an account, but you don't have to pay for one. A free account is an option.

ETA to add a link to customer questions

http://audible.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4527/~/do-i-have-to-be-a-member-to-purchase-audiobooks%3F

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 10

Since my Week 36 BaW post, I have, among other things, seen the Ivo van Hove-directed A View from the Bridge at the Goodman (get there, if you can), visited my daughters, taken three flute lessons, (nearly) finished four weeks at my new job, and completed six books:

Ă¢â€“Â  Timon of Athens (William Shakespeare; 1605. Drama.)

Ă¢â€“Â  Macbeth (William Shakespeare; 1606. Drama.)

Ă¢â€“Â  Do Not Become Alarmed (Maile Meloy; 2017. Fiction.)

Ă¢â€“Â  Why Be Happy When You Could Be Normal? (Jeanette Winterson; 2012. Non-fiction.)

Ă¢â€“Â  Carrying the Elephant (Michael Rosen; 2002. Poetry.)

Ă¢â€“Â  War and Peace (Leo Tolstoy; 1869. (Trans. L. and A. Maude; EverymanĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s Library; 1992.) Fiction.)

This puts me at 120 books read in 2017.

The plays, both rereads, represent my Shakespeare in a Year progress. I plan to read Sonnets 112 through 120 and the related commentary between now and Sunday evening, which should catch me up.

From Macbeth, which is one of my favorite of the plays:

Act IV, Scene ii

Be comforted:

Let's make us medicines of our great revenge,

To cure this deadly grief.

Seven years ago, I pressed my copy of Maile Meloy's Both Ways Is the Only Way I Want It on someone, promising beautiful prose and original storytelling. I regretted it almost instantly, and I really regretted it a few years later when the same someone mentioned the book in conversation, "Have you read it?" she asked. "It's pretty good." Um, yes, I read it. The copy you just finished, in fact. And, "pretty good" seems pretty inadequate, but okay. "Mmmm..." I replied, and reminded myself, again, not to give my books away. Pass them to my children, sell them, donate them, yes. But give them away? Not anymore, I don't. Anyway, while I readily concede that Do Not Become Alarmed does not cast the same spell as Both Ways, it is as impossible to put down as Fierce Kingdom (Gin Phillips), which I read last month, so, recommended.

As I mentioned last time, I reread Fun Home (Alison Bechdel) in anticipation of seeing the Victory Gardens production. I had a notion that Jeanette Winterson's memoir would make a neat pairing, and I was a little right -- and a little wrong. Here are my remaining commonplace book entries for Why Be Happy When You Could Be Normal?

p. 140

I did not realise that when money becomes the core value, then education drives towards utility or that the life of the mind will not be counted as a good unless it produces measurable results. That public services will no longer be important. That an alternative life to getting and spending will become very difficult as cheap housing disappears. That when communities are destroyed only misery and intolerance are left.

p. 144

There's a lot of talk about the tame world versus the wild world. It is not only a wild nature that we need as human beings; it is the untamed open space of our imaginations.

Reading is where the wild things are.

p. 170

And extremes -- whether of dullness or fury -- successfully prevent feeling. I know our feelings can be so unbearable that we employ ingenious strategies -- unconscious strategies -- to keep those feelings away. We do a feelings-swap, where we avoid feeling sad or lonely or afraid or inadequate, and feel angry instead. It can work the other way, too -- sometimes you do need to feel angry, not inadequate; sometimes you do need to feel love and acceptance, and not the tragic drama of your life.

It takes courage to feel the feeling -- and not trade it on the feelings-exchange, or even transfer it altogether to another person.

Michal Rosen's Sad Book, illustrated by Quentin Blake, is quite possibly the most accurate depiction of sorrow and grief I have ever read. I cannot tell you how many times I have thought to send Rosen a postcard that simply says, "Yes. Thank you." This week, I read Carrying the Elephant, his collection of prose poems. Again, "Yes. Thank you."

p. 48

... Yes, it is unfair and

cruel. It also makes me tired with a

tiredness that hangs on like a dog. It's nice of

you to say you'll always remember him. You won't.

p. 50

... You see me and you cry, you're

overwhelmed. You ask me how it's

possible for me to carry on. I wonder

if I look like someone who looks like

it's possible to carry on.

And, as I wrote earlier this morning, I have finished reading War and Peace. Here are the remaining commonplace book entries:

Book Three, Chapter 25

As often happens with passionate people, he was mastered by anger but was still seeking an object on which to vent it.

Book Four, Chapter 13

This was his acknowledgment of the impossibility of changing a man's convictions by words, and his recognition of the possibility of everyone thinking, feeling, and seeing things each from his own point of view. This legitimate peculiarity of each individual, which used to excite and irritate Pierre, now became a basis of the sympathy he felt for, and the interest he took in other people. The difference, and sometimes complete contradiction, between men's opinions and their lives, between one man and another, pleased him and evoked from him an amused and gentle smile.

Next up? It's hard to say. Last night, I grabbed a thriller. After the "heavy" reading and work and the yard chores (yeah, I decided to mow and rake when I got home), You (Caroline Kepnes) seemed right. The thing is, I have a feeling that this is going to become graphic in a way that my post-fifty self no longer tolerates well, so I may be in search of something else before day's end.

On a related (sort of) note: My husband and I have only two episodes of Jon Ronson's The Butterfly Effect remaining. We were already Ronson fans (The Psychopath Test, So You've Been Publicly Shamed), so this podcast (free to Prime and Audible customers) interested us. Although Ronson navigates an X-rated world, the podcast is never more than R-rated. Here's Ronson's description:

It's sad, funny, moving and totally unlike some other nonfiction stories about porn - because it isn't judgmental or salacious. It's human and sweet and strange and lovely. It's a mystery story, an adventure. It's also, I think, a new way of telling a story. This season follows a single butterfly effect. The flap of the butterfly's wings is a boy in Brussels having an idea. His idea is how to get rich from giving the world free online porn. Over seven episodes I trace the consequences of this idea, from consequence through to consequence. If you keep going in this way, where might you end up? It turns out you end up in the most surprising and unexpected places.

Edited by Melissa M
  • Like 9

A one day only classic that is currently free for Kindle readers ~

The Hollow Needle: Further Adventures of ArsĂƒÂ¨ne Lupin by Maurice Leblanc

"A boy detective takes on the most brilliant thief in Europe

In a country manor, a terrible noise awakes the household. Downstairs, the estateĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s secretary has been murdered. There are signs of a break-in, but everything appears to be in its proper place. What kind of thief would commit murder to steal nothing?

The first detective on the case is Isidore Beautrelet, a precocious teenager who wears a fake beard to disguise the fact that he has not yet graduated from high school. Although the other investigators do not take him seriously, Beautrelet is the one to pick up the trail of ArsĂƒÂ¨ne Lupin, the gentleman thief. Lupin, it is soon discovered, is chasing the most valuable object he has ever had the opportunity to steal: the Hollow Needle. Passed down for generations by the kings of France, it holds a secret that could undo the republic. No one has ever managed to foil one of LupinĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s fiendish plans, but Beautrelet is counting on beginnerĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s luck."

Several other books that are currently free for Kindle readers ~

Going Commando  by Pamela Burford

My Grape Year: (The Grape Series #1)  by Laura Bradbury

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 4

Something that a lot of people don't realize, and even that post doesn't mention, is that you do not have to have a paid subscription to Audible to buy books from there. You won't get credits for free books and you won't get a membership discount, but if you only occasionally want to buy an audio book a non-paid membership is the way to go. You do have to have an account, but you don't have to pay for one. A free account is an option.

Now that sounds like my type of option. Thank you!

• Like 8

In honor of the 80th anniversary of the publication of The Hobbit, There and Back Again from The Atlantic magazine. 

And (and!) today is both Bilbo's and Frodo's birthday!  We made seed cakes this morning

(dd did The Hobbit last year with Memoria Press and this year she's doing Literary Lessons with The Lord of the Rings...ok enough curric. talk but she loves all things Middle Earth)

• Like 10

Loesje I'm sorry about your dd.  :grouphug: Your plan to think about what to do instead of rushing to take the exam again sounds like the right choice.

ETA to add a link to customer questions

http://audible.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4527/~/do-i-have-to-be-a-member-to-purchase-audiobooks%3F

Maybe I can get the annual plan as a gift.

I pay less than that for Learning Ally though. That's what my ds uses. The only thing with that is it doesn't work on his Fire. 

Edited by Mom-ninja.
  • Like 7

Your review of Independent People is lovely to read.  It motivates me to move Wayward Heroes up in the dusty stacks.  This Laxness novel is described in a Kirkus review as a "cynical, tongue-in-check reimagination of the Old Norse sagas". I'm trying to shift some attention to southern Europe but the North seems to hold me in its grasp as I have also been thinking that it is time for another volume in Knausgaard's series My Struggle. 

Hmmm. How soon is too soon for another Laxness novel?

Can I come too? I promise to sit quietly in the other comfy chair across the room and read my book.

Be careful what you wish for - one of these days I might just show up on your doorstep!

All are welcome here, and you, Rose, are not that far away at all!

Well, I started reading James Joyce's Ulysses. I got to the third section and within the first few pages, I spent almost an hour following all the rabbit trails. Wow. It feels like Joyce gleefully threw in all the metaphors and allusions he could to mess with the reader. I'm returning the current library copy and getting an annotated copy instead. This book is going to take a long time to read...

I took me 12 weeks of almost-nightly reading to get through Ulysses. I read it along with the Classics and the Western Canon good reads group and you can read our discussions as you move along if you'd like. It found a place deep in my heart, even though I am certain I didn't even know enough to know what I missed as far as rabbit trails. As a follow up, I later read The Most Dangerous Book: A Battle for James Joyce's Ulysses. It covered the background of how the book came to be written and published, the smuggling of copies into the U.S. from Europe and Canada, and the eventual legal case brought to court by the publisher at Random House and the founder of the ACLU. Having read both, I'm glad I read them in the order I did.

• Like 9

Some library catalog humor ~

I was at Barnes and Noble today and saw this book Renal Diet Plan and Cookbook by Susan Zogheib.  I searched the catalogs of the two libraries that I use to see if either has the book in its collection.

One catalog asked ~ Did You Mean: Susan doghead?

The other asked ~ Did you mean Susan squib?

Ah, no.

I think I'll be putting in a purchase suggestion.

Regards,
Kareni
  • Like 7

Loesje, adding my hugs to the others. 

I tried reading Stephen King's 11/22/63 a few years ago. (I have never read Stephen King, nor is he someone I would normally read. But, I thought the premise of the book sounded promising enough to make me try it.)

I had the same feeling as you -- "who dares to edit such a successful author?!" syndrome for that book. I made it through 100 overly-gross pages.  :rolleyes:  With a great editor, it could have been 20 pages. Should have been 20 pages. I stopped at that point.

Yep. At some point they stopped editing his work and I stopped reading it. Actually I think they overlapped, but my tolerance was also higher then! A few years ago I picked up the version of The Stand that King had wanted to publish, but which had been cut due to length and cost. In the intro he was very up front and said that now that he had the money and the fans he has decided to add back in the 400 pages he had originally written, but that didn't necessarily make it better. I ended up quitting about a third of the way through.

Edited by idnib
  • Like 8

A one day only sale of a children's book that is currently free for Kindle readers; this one was a favorite in my house ~

My Father's Dragon by Ruth Stiles Gannett

"A boy risks his life to free a flying dragon in this beloved childrenĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s classic and Newbery Honor Book.

Elmer Elevator has always wanted to fly, and when he takes in an old alley cat out of the rain, he gets his chance. The grateful cat tells him about a flying dragon that lives on the faraway Wild Island, where it has been tied up by a bunch of cruel animals and forced to work incessantly.

Not being the kind of boy who stands for such things, Elmer packs his knapsack and sets off to free the downtrodden dragon. Stowing aboard a ship and braving many dangers, Elmer will let nothing stop him from reaching Wild Island.

But if heĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s going to save the dragon and finally fly, heĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ll have to dig deep into his knapsack and outwit all sorts of tricky creatures inhabiting the isle."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 3

I've been trying to read but I'm too sad. I have to find a home for my cat. It kills me. He has become aggressive toward my other two pets. I don't know why. He's as sweet as can be with us, but he attacks my other cat and my dog. I've had him checked for health problems and the vet said he's fine and that sometimes cats become aggressive towards other animals for no apparent reason. I had him on a medication, but that just kept him in a drugged stupor. That's not a life for a cat. After I stopped giving him the medicine he went back to attacking the other two without warning. It's so strange because he cuddles and purrs with us, but is so mean to the other cat and dog. Those two are walking around in constant fear of being attacked, and I don't want my other cat to develop behavior problems as a result. So I have to keep him on the medicine for however long it takes to find him a home. It will not be easy to find a home for him. Everyone I know either has allergies or has other pets. He obviously needs to be in a home with no other pets. Why can't he just understand that he has to go back to how he was before he decided to hate all other animals? 

• Like 9

Mom-ninja, that's hard :( Poor kitty and poor you.

I finished reading Wild Thing by Dandi Daley Mackall to the boys.  It's a book aimed at kids and it was one of the poorer of that type of book that I've read (and I've read many).  Winnie was into horses, Barker was into dogs, Catman was into cats, Lizzie was into lizards.  I felt like the author wanted the book to have religious elements and so it would be going along and suddenly something religious would be inserted that didn't actually make sense.  It was really not authentic and quite forced. It was extremely predictable.  In fact, my 11yo - who is in the age range it is for - was able to accurately predict what would happen in each chapter.

• Like 5

Now I have the urge to reread The Historian and also to dip my toes into DODO as well as Robinson's Red Mars.  We are currently listening to Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows in the car.   I remember when reading the series how each book got a little bit darker and intense.  Great reading although I thought it a bit scary for the younger set and waited until James was older before reading with him. 

Loesje - so sorry about your daughter and if she knows anyone else who took the test, may be able to discuss and see what they remember to help her prepare for next time.  Some people have eidetic memories which are really helpful for retaking tests.  Happy to hear Ted Dekker's books have been translated so you can read them. He is so scary good. 

Hugs to Rose and your daughter, Erin and Happy.  Hope each of you are feeling better every day. 

Butter - glad to hear Ani is doing so well. Sounds mighty busy. 

Violet Crown - I hadn't even though of the author's name being a color. Yes it counts. 

Angela - Have you been watching the Outlander series on Starz?  

Jane - Being the surprise for the surprise party. What a wonderful thing your friend's hubby did.  So sweet!

Karen - Thanks for all the links to books. Finding interesting ones that I usually wouldn't read.  We loved My Father's Dragon as well as Elmer and the Dragon.  We still have them and pull out occasionally to revisit. 

Amy - Aw, what a wonderful first book to read together. 

Melissa - Woot! Woot!  Congrats on finishing and getting hubby involved as well.   Great quotes from your reads and yes, I think the authors would be touched to receive a thank you note. 

Mom-Ninja- I'm so sorry about your kitty. Always hard when something happens to our fur babies. 

• Like 9