Menu

skin on feet peeling? What is it?

My dd is having trouble with skin peeling all around the bottom of her toes and foot just below her toes.She says it doesn't itch. Does anyone know what this could be? I asked her if her feet sweat, and she said they do in her Sunday shoes, but that's the only day she wears them usually.

Thanks in advance for any help!

I hate to mention this but if she is using tampax it is a concern. Peeling skin on palms and feet is early sign of toxic shcok syndrome. If she has any fever at all regardless I would take her in just to be safe. It is likely eczema but your precious children are not worth the risk.

Dd (12) has this problem with her feet. It's called dyshidrosis eczema.

She's supposed to go without socks or shoes as much as possible. Her shoes are supposed to be as aerated as possible. And if she's in sports and wears running or tennis shoes, she has to wear really thick absorbent cotton socks and take them off as soon as she can.

The doctor also gave her a prescription for Drysol and she's supposed to put it on at night before bed. Dd usually has this problem (peeling skin on the soles of her feet) in the summer. Her feet sweat and start to burn, and the Drysol cools them down and helps with the sweating.

If it's not difficult to arrange, you might want to take her in to the doctor just to be sure.

Stacey

It made my feet look horrible. They didn't itch if I remember right. They just started peeling. They wouldn't stop peeling. I think it was caused by a particular pair of shoes I was wearing without socks. I finally got rid of it by scrubbing all the skin off and putting tea tree oil on them. I also tried Tinactin. It took several treatments but it finally stopped. The whole thing lasted most of the summer. So gross.

Weird but I was just wondering what was up with my own feet when I read your post. I wear croc sandals and flip flops pretty much all summer. Lately I have been wearing socks and tennis shoes and my feet are both peeling on the bottom. They don't hurt either so I was wondering if I was shedding like my bearded dragons?

I don't think it is athlete's foot because from what I hear that is terribly annoying. Itching is terrible. I am thinking mine is from wearing socks and shoes lately - sweaty feet maybe?

Dd's athlete's foot didn't hurt or itch. I've heard it has to go awhile for that to start.

Sorry, obviously I was only repeating something I heard and have not personally encountered. Didn't mean to give bad info.

Do you know how to tell then if it is athlete's foot or just peeling skin from summer's end?

I hate to mention this but if she is using tampax it is a concern. Peeling skin on palms and feet is early sign of toxic shcok syndrome. If she has any fever at all regardless I would take her in just to be safe. It is likely eczema but your precious children are not worth the risk.

Thankfully, she hasn't started her period yet!

For In The Great White North: I don't know how to quote several people in the same reply, but I do have some soap with tea tree oil in it. I purchased it from a friend who makes soap.

For Frontier Mom: She actually is in a similar situation of wearing flip-flops a lot, and now going to lots of socks and shoes.

We'll give the tea tree oil soap and keeping them dry a try. If it doesn't help, we'll go to the doctor.

Thanks again for all the help!

a friends son had it - doctor looked at his shoes and said, "croc feet".

My DD gets it really bad wearing crocs or shoes that don't absorb the sweat (her flip flops right now).

I'm not buying more crocs for any of the kids - they are dirt magnets around here, yuck, gross, blech - and need to get her out of those flip flops she loves because they are pink.