Menu

Accountability Thread 9/17-9/23

Good morning and welcome to the next to last week of September. If I seem happy, it's because I hope we get some good fall weather soon and not extended summer.

Today's schedule: Grading tests, getting materials ready for next week, groceries, a little housekeeping, some cooking, lots of editing. 

We are taking the last week of September off from school--it was a scheduled break, but it turns out some medical things are happening that week too.

• Like 4

Good morning!

The weather is definitely turning fall-like here, I'm looking to do some fall planting. I brought home several hardy kiwi plants from the garden center yesterday, I've been trying to grow hardy kiwi for years but it is finicky in our climate and soil conditions.

I also had the kids pick out flower bulbs to plant in memory of their grandmother.

I'm looking forward to the week ahead, we're starting to get used to the schedule of outside stuff for the new school year, now I need to figure out the internal schedule. My baby is at a point where he is content playing on the floor for a bit. I need to wean the two and five year olds off of watching videos half the day (helpful when we are in survival mode but not a good long term strategy).

Edited by maize
  • Like 4

Good Morning,

Did Blend Phonics Unit 3, Row 1.

Going over coins and there value.

Audio songs about counting, adding and subtracting.

Audio book on car ride to from church and Dad's work

Clean house, finish putting away laundry and do a load of dishes.

Have lunch at work with Daddy.

Edited by Mommyof1
  • Like 3

I am having trouble with my like button today! I hope that doesn't signal impending disaster.

Today's schedule:

French-Lesson 3, vocabulary, review

Latin-Lesson 20 (It might be subjunctive mood), workbook

Math-Lesson 3, 1 page Key to Measurement

Writing-Creative Writer-character show vs tell (I love it so much I'm grinning all over my face), new spelling words from literature, KISS grammar exercise on prepositional phrases.

Literature-vocabulary and reading notes

History-reading and a narration

Science-reading and questions

Geography-starting Western Europe this week

For me: French, Latin, Geometry, Grammar, Editing (I need to finish with this draft by Friday), Housekeeping, some cooking.

• Like 1

I feel like I missed a mile in this new thread.. It's only Monday still right?? :)

I had a meeting this morning with a friend that was important but also nice socially. Wouldn't have scheduled it in the morning but there wasn't a good alternative. Fortunately, it didn't mess up school too much. I did LA and math with each kid in our shortened school day. Got DS9 through astronomy class online and then took a nap myself with the baby. Yay.

Wednesday I start teaching science club & catechesis so I need to prep for those.

This week I really want to put more focus on language arts output. DS9 needs to be able to type faster. Both bigger kids need more handwriting, copywork and dictation.

• Like 1

Morning--I'll see if it is any good or not once I get some caffeine.

Today's schedule:

French-continue lesson 3, review vocabulary, workbook

Latin-continue lesson 20, review vocabulary, workbook

Math-lesson 4, page of Key to Measurement

Writing-Week 2, CW, show the told scene from yesterday, spelling practice, sentences, grammar exercise

Literature-Read Rip Van Winkle, comp questions (some of them)

History/Science-swap from yesterday

Art-painting for me, new sketches

For me: French, Latin, Geometry, Grammar, Editing, Reading for a fellow writer, Housekeeping, Writers' Meeting

ETA: Art for me--I need another layer of color on my pumpkin picture from last week, and I have something I want to sketch.

Edited by Critterfixer
  • Like 3

Good morning ladies!  We were off yesterday because it was ds' birthday and we worked on Saturday.  I got my hair done and the birthday boy had a playdate with a friend.  Today our schedule is getting laundry done ( as much as possible), dishwasher unloaded, and get my steps in.  On the school front our schedule is

Morning time

latin

math

spelling/composition

Science

History

logic (thinking of using a simpler program for this first term)

For me:  make up test for class this week, read over several lessons and take notes and make up homework assignment.

• Like 2

Good Morning!  Well, I guess it's afternoon at this point.

I decided last night, no school today.  I just got back from my dentist appointment a little bit ago, DD21 who was watching them for me was not in any way interested in helping with ANY school, so just no school.  Truth is, if I was teaching in a classroom, I would have had a sub for today, and it still would have been a lost day.  I might try to have them do a couple of things later, but right now I am not feeling it.  My mouth hurts, this dentist is good.....but man is he rough on the gums.  The gums all around the tooth are swollen, which is irritating the perfectly healthy teeth around it, so blah.

Having said that, I am going to take advantage of the day to get some deep cleaning done.  it's raining and for some reason, I always clean better when it's raining.  Something about opening up the windows, smelling the rain, I dunno.

I like warm saltwater rinses for that.

• Like 2

We did great today. I am cheering for myself. My daughter whined and moaned so much she inspired the boys to do their work without complaining. She was so over the top. Knowing her, tomorrow she will do her work in about 15 minutes without a fuss.

Tomorrow, we need to charge through school so I can have a long break between school and the afternoon science club & catechism class. I remembered today how draining all the people-ing is going to be and I'm pretty nervous. I did some prep today but I'm not quite as prepared as I'd hoped.

• Like 3

Good morning. 

Today's schedule:

French-vocabulary work today

Latin-continue lesson 20, workbook, vocab review

Math-Lesson 4 (half of it), 1 page KTM

Writing-CW combined scene show/tell, spelling practice, sentence, KISS grammar exercise

History-next chapter, narration

Science-next chapter, questions

Geography-Western Europe--I think we are mapping today.

For me: French, Latin, Geometry, Grammar, Editing, Housekeeping, Pizza night (I have to make crusts and prepare toppings)

• Like 1

So as predicted, DD did her math first thing in the morning before anyone noticed. I called her to school and she answered back "Why do I have to come. I already did it". I did make her do a few extra activities but she was right, she had covered the bulk of it.

DS9 has an emotional morning. He only did half the math I had planned (which was admittedly maybe too much), handwriting, and history reading. If he does ttrs and Greek today we'll be ok.

Science club at 4pm

Catechism at 6:20-8pm

Oh and DS5 read the first two stories from Run Big Run today! It is so stinkin' adorable to listen to him read. He thinks everything he reads is hysterical and laughs and laughs the whole time. I had no where near this much fun teaching my first to read (I never taught dd) :)

• Like 2

Good morning, we have co op this afternoon so we'll be doing lots of oral lessons today!

Morning time

Latin

Math

Composition/ spelling

Free reading

Art (I hope)

Piano/guitar practice

The older boy had a sleep over last night but, I did send a bit of work with him for today

Latin

History (prep for test)

Science (prep for class)

• Like 1

So, I haven't posted on one of these in a while, but I thought I'd join in today! I'm trying to fit a normal day of school in today and so far we're about 20 mins behind where we usually are, but not too bad. We all slept later than usual today for some reason. My goal for today is not to get frustrated with dd9, who complains about every single task and has severe attention issues on top of that.

We've already finished the average number of days I want us to for September, so all from here is just giving me buffer for when we go on trips. Considering we plan to be gone the first week and a half of October, that should help!

My other personal goal for this week is to make breakfast every day rather than resorting to cereal. So far so good! I made pumpkin bread last night that we enjoyed for breakfast.

• Like 1

So, I haven't posted on one of these in a while, but I thought I'd join in today! I'm trying to fit a normal day of school in today and so far we're about 20 mins behind where we usually are, but not too bad. We all slept later than usual today for some reason. My goal for today is not to get frustrated with dd9, who complains about every single task and has severe attention issues on top of that.

We've already finished the average number of days I want us to for September, so all from here is just giving me buffer for when we go on trips. Considering we plan to be gone the first week and a half of October, that should help!

My other personal goal for this week is to make breakfast every day rather than resorting to cereal. So far so good! I made pumpkin bread last night that we enjoyed for breakfast.

You're way ahead of me. The only time I feel like making breakfast is for dinner!

We survived science club yesterday. The kids were super enthusiastic. And teaching catechism. Less enthusiastic lol. Half the kids parents just drop them off for babysitting. My science club, one of the kids burst through the door and asked if this science club would be run by grade or ability level. When I said ability he gave a fist pump and launched into an explanation of how limited he feels, all the inventions he made up in his head and wants to try, and how he needs to learn calculus but he doesn't have the books he needs. Umm yes you can spend all your free time in my house studying math and building electronics. :D

Got math done today, not really much else. Need to do a good day of school tomorrow. My daughter wrote "I hate my book so much" across the front of her light unit.. Does that count as handwriting? Lol. She's such a punk.. She hates everything that involves consistency so that's the real school work for this year. Showing up and working whether we feel like it or not.

• Like 1

Good Morning,

Had a really busy day yesterday, so today we are resting. No car today and Daddy starts his new longer hours. So...

Read alouds before bed and maybe some earlier too, right now to tired.

1/4 of a unit in Blend Phonics and review some phonograms.- Done

DD read a Bob book- will do before bed so Dad can hear her.

So far only audio books and Math Songs

Review money and time-Done

Lifeskills

Arts and crafts

Edited by Mommyof1
  • Like 2

Good morning.

I feel like this week is wasted. I got DS4 done this morning, it's like the first school he has had all week. He sneezed all over his work like 3 times.

DD8 has done her daily math, phonics and is working on her regular math assignment. She has been complaining of a headache and yawning all morning. She also has a runny/stuffy nose

While working with DD8, DD7 threw her entire breakfast up all over the living room floor.

Today is supposed to be library day but between illness and my dentist appointment, very little reading has been done and what has been books from home, we haven't touched the library books hardly at all.

I might just ship everyone to bed with movies after DD8 is done with math. I don't know that we are going to get much else done.

ETA: You know your kids don't feel good when you go to ship them all to bed, and 2 of the 3 are already there. 

Sounds like a plan.

Today is our last day before a scheduled break. We went right from summer quarter into fall quarter, and it's time.

Today's schedule:

French-Lez Portes Tordues, French quiz

Latin-continue lesson 20, review verbs

Math-finish lesson 6, KTM

Writing-Show vs Tell-revision challenge, spelling test, KISS grammar exercise

Literature-continue comprehension questions

Science/History-swap from Wednesday

Geography-none today

For me: French, Latin, Geometry, Grammar, Editing, Housekeeping

I've got all next week to plan for the next six weeks. We've got an art intensive period coming up, and I need to totally overhaul Tuesday and Thursday.

We survived science club yesterday. The kids were super enthusiastic. And teaching catechism. Less enthusiastic lol. Half the kids parents just drop them off for babysitting. My science club, one of the kids burst through the door and asked if this science club would be run by grade or ability level. When I said ability he gave a fist pump and launched into an explanation of how limited he feels, all the inventions he made up in his head and wants to try, and how he needs to learn calculus but he doesn't have the books he needs. Umm yes you can spend all your free time in my house studying math and building electronics. :D

Got math done today, not really much else. Need to do a good day of school tomorrow. My daughter wrote "I hate my book so much" across the front of her light unit.. Does that count as handwriting? Lol. She's such a punk.. She hates everything that involves consistency so that's the real school work for this year. Showing up and working whether we feel like it or not.

Is it bad that today I really sympathize with her? :laugh:

Top on my list of what I'd like to do today is to go back to bed, sleep until noon, crawl out of bed, eat junk for lunch and then write until it's time for somebody else to make me dinner.

• Like 1

Good Morning,

Had a really busy day yesterday, so today we are resting. No car today and Daddy starts his new longer hours. So...

1/4 of a unit in Blend Phonics and review some phonograms.

Her read a Bob book

Read alouds and some audio books

Review money and time

Lifeskills

Arts and crafts

Also a plan I could get behind.

It's probably a very good thing I've got next week off!

• Like 1

Is it bad that today I really sympathize with her? :laugh:

Top on my list of what I'd like to do today is to go back to bed, sleep until noon, crawl out of bed, eat junk for lunch and then write until it's time for somebody else to make me dinner.

I totally get it. That's why I can sort of laugh at her antics. Consistency and getting up in the morning are the hardest things about homeschooling for me as the parent.

• Like 1