Menu

Can I ask you ladies for a huge favor?

fraidycat

For market research/book/article writing purposes - to be used in the general/aggregate sense, not individual. 

As a MOM:

What would you say are the top 3 negative emotions that you experience the most?

In LIFE:  (motherhood, marriage, housing, homeschooling, etc.)

What would you say are the top 3 most stress-causing events or circumstances?  Can be ongoing or one-off big events.

Answers can be very vague and general - I'm looking for commonalities, not details.

Emotion - guilt, and Stress Event - In-law visits or child/spouse/parent medical event/hospitalization are detailed enough for my purposes.

Thanks!

Anxiety, frustration, discouragement

Events/circumstances:

1. Mental health issues within immediate family. (not myself-but dealing with them on a daily basis) This causes me anxiety because I never know when or how long the next "episode" is going to be. 

2. Not getting to do things or have things work out the way I had envisioned (usually due to working around the issues in #1)  Frustration and discouragement. I used to be more free spirited. I love to go places and travel. I feel stymied by those around me. I feel like tension is common within our family, and that is now how I had envisioned it to be.

3. Having an Aspie. He is a joy, but I also find the challenges sometimes overwhelm me leaving me anxious for his future, frustrated with the issues, and discouraged that it seems like nothing I can do helps. 

• Like 1

For market research/book/article writing purposes - to be used in the general/aggregate sense, not individual. 

As a MOM:

What would you say are the top 3 negative emotions that you experience the most?

Frustration, I get frustrated when they don't get "stuff" done and I have to repeat myself over and over.  How long can it possibly take to get your clothes changed and come unload the dishwasher, for DS 16, apparently an hour.

Pretty much every other negative emotion I have, anger, disappointment usually stems from frustration.

In LIFE:  (motherhood, marriage, housing, homeschooling, etc.)

What would you say are the top 3 most stress-causing events or circumstances?  Can be ongoing or one-off big events.

Moving, we've done it a dozen times but it always stresses me out usually because it comes after a lay-off, career advancement, or because of some other unforeseen upheaval 

DD's mental and emotional issues are not severe but they are chronic and the daily battle wears me the XXXX out.  But I have to keep going because one she's my kid and the most important thing in my life and two because I think it would be 1000 times worse if I gave up.

A friend/family member who visits us occasionally is an alcoholic and it always ends up badly.  I told them this last time and they weren't allowed to come back.  I think they thought I was joking, Im not.  

Answers can be very vague and general - I'm looking for commonalities, not details.

Emotion - guilt, and Stress Event - In-law visits or child/spouse/parent medical event/hospitalization are detailed enough for my purposes.

Thanks!

Edited by foxbridgeacademy
  • Like 1

As a MOM:

In LIFE: (motherhood, marriage, housing, homeschooling, etc.)

What would you say are the top 3 most stress-causing events or circumstances? Can be ongoing or one-off big events.

Thanks!

Irritation, anger, exhaustion

Money, blended family, health

As a parent? Anger, exhaustion, frustration.

Top three stress causing events: money trouble, moving, imbalances and disagreements with people you love.

Edited by Arctic Mama

Frustration, anger, guilt

Since we took on sibling of twins I feel I have become mentally unhinged. He has moved on over 2 months ago, but if someone yells at me I go into a uncontrollable rage and start screaming and yelling at them. It is absolutely awful and I am filled with intense shame afterwards. I have been a increadably quiet person my whole life until now.

• Like 1

Parenting

• Pressure to perform (mine—to be wise, loving, balanced, cheerful, to give them the support/direction/etc. they need me to)

• Discouragement (about my "performance" and things in their lives)

• Irritation (much less now that they are older—but definitely a factor when looking back at my 22 years of parenting)

Life

• Accidents/serious illness (physical and psychological) in the family

• Lack of dh's home upkeep (needed repairs—major and minor that could be done or hired to be done)

• One-sided relationships with family (detached/Aspergerish husband; narcissistic mother)

• Like 1

Frustration, anger, guilt

Since we took on sibling of twins I feel I have become mentally unhinged. He has moved on over 2 months ago, but if someone yells at me I go into a uncontrollable rage and start screaming and yelling at them. It is absolutely awful and I am filled with intense shame afterwards. I have been a increadably quiet person my whole life until now.

:grouphug:

I know that's not the point of the thread but I'm sorry...

• Like 3

As a mom:

Fear, worry, exhaustion

(I don't feel alot of negative feelings about motherhood but I do have fear for the world my youngest three are inheriting, worry about my two oldest and the most common negative feeling is just being tired because mama life is busy :)

3 life stress causing events

1. My daughter's hearing loss diagnosis at first

2. When I was trying to work 40+ hours and be a mom to five. Feeling like other people got the best hours of my beloved children.

3. Death of my dad

• Like 1

Not reading prior responses.

Anxiety and irritation.

When I had littles boredom was number three. With teens it's fear. If that messes up your statistics, use fear.

Three top stressors:

Bad boyfriends

Holidays (thanksgiving, Christmas, birthdays)

Constant interruptions

• Like 1

Parenting: Frustration, feeling of being confined in my role, worry

Stressors: 1. Frustration: Having to tell every other person in this house over and over and over to do things they are perfectly capable of knowing they should do and hounding them to do them in a timely manner instead of them cooperating for the greater good of the household. 2. Confinement: Not having time to do my "work" as household work and parenting takes up all the available time. 3. Worry: Having a non neurotypical teen with anxiety who is going to struggle with being independent.

• Like 1

Negative emotions as a mom:

1. fear/anxiety (that something bad would happen to them)

2. guilt

3. exhaustion

Stressors:

1. divorce

2. mental & physical health issues of various family members

3. feeling like my brain is the communal property of far too many members of my immediate and extended family, all of whom expect me to organize their lives, manage their finances, fix all their problems, and basically handle all the tedious difficult stuff they can't be bothered with

• Like 2

3 top negative emotions as a mom:

• Feeling of helplessness / uncertainty of path in addressing certain problems.
  • Disappointment over my failing to always "be the adult."
  • Just being sad that my kids will have to deal with some unhappy things in life.

3 most stress-producing things in life:

• Work expectations, especially heavy deadlines and conference calls.  :)
  • Conflicting demands from different people / responsibilities.
  • Procrastination.
  • Like 1

Negative emotions: Overwhelmed (with everything I have to do regarding work, home, and dd), exhaustion (no time to relax), limited (due to time constraints and everything going on in life I don't have time to do some things I'd like to do)

Stress-producing things:

Work demands

Unknown things- trying to sell home and move so unable to plan some things because don't know where we will be in the next few months

Life changes

• Like 1

As a MOM:  What would you say are the top 3 negative emotions that you experience the most?

Fear, frustration, and anger.

In LIFE:  What would you say are the top 3 most stress-causing events or circumstances?  Can be ongoing or one-off big events.

Realizing that something is wrong with one of my children, stopping homeschooling, child moving away from home.

• Like 1

As a MOM:

frustrated, angry, harried

In LIFE:  (motherhood, marriage, housing, homeschooling, etc.)

What would you say are the top 3 most stress-causing events or circumstances?  Can be ongoing or one-off big events.

chronic lack of sleep, children being careless in dangerous situations or potential-for-danger situations, mental health issues in the family

• Like 1

As a mom, 3 negative emotions: disappointment, anxiety, frustration.

3 top stressful situations: economic pressures (both wider society and personal situation), kid having a major struggle, interactions with FOO (his or mine).

• Like 1

fear, frustration, insecure

health crisis of yourself of a close loved one, financial crisis (such as loss of job), mental health issues of loved ones

• Like 1

-Anxiety about the life & health of DH & kids (ER trip for one of them last night).

-Fear that I'm not giving kids the right balance: IE am I holding the baby too much for him to learn to self soothe, or does his background justify focusing mostly on him right now?  Does this tween need more sheltering or less?

-Annoyance with little things that inconvenience me but are not a tragedy.

• Like 1