Menu

Middle School Classes on Transcript

I've started working on creating a transcript for my 9th grader and I have a few questions about transcripts and course descriptions.

In searching through these forums, it seems like the consensus is to list math and foreign language classes taken in middle school at the high school level, but these classes should not be included in the GPA nor added to the credits given for high school, as this can be perceived as "padding". Am I correct?

So I'm listing Algebra and Geometry so admissions officers can see she took these classes, as well as Latin and Greek classes, but leaving them out of the GPA and total credits.

What about a literature class taken through Lukeion?

What about course descriptions, do I need to include course descriptions for these classes taken prior to 9th?

And, if she took Greek 1 and 2 in 7th and 8th grade, but did not continue in 9th, should that go on the transcript? For Latin, it makes sense to include as a precursor to AP Latin that she is taking currently, but I'm not sure Greek needs to be there as it would be showing a pre-requisite to a current course.

I did include them, gave grades, and gave credit. My perspective is that they were high school level classes and kids in high school get credit for them. I figured if an adcom didn't want to factor in that GPA or those credits, then they wouldn't. Fwiw, I didn't consider it padding. They did the work. My youngest 2 high school grads had between 35-40 credits on their transcripts.

• Like 4

I think it can be problematic when people use middle school credits for math and language to justify an "easy" junior and senior year, rather than demonstrating increasing rigor in course selection as the years pass. In your child's case, it sounds like you just want to thoroughly document progression/history, and that is fine.

FWIW, I wouldn't worry too much about listing the middle school algebra and geometry, assuming that your student is continuing to take progressively higher level math courses and has decent test scores.

• Like 3

I also listed math and language with the grade and credit. This was the practice in the state we lived in when we started high school.

For the Greek it is your choice. For my current college freshman I included a German course taken in 8th grade with no follow on. In his case it was one of 3 foreign languages and he was applying for a program with a heavy emphasis on language study. So it made sense to include it.

• Like 1

...What about a literature class taken through Lukeion?

One possible concern is you may have troubles with college admissions later on, as many colleges only accept credits (of any subject) taken in the 4 most recent years prior to college freshman year as meeting their admission requirements. All colleges that I have seen require 4 credits of English (which can be Literature, or Writing, or a combo). If you rely on the Lit. class from Lukeion taken in middle school for one of the required credits of English, and only do 3 credits of English in high school, there is a sizable risk that your student will look "short" in meeting required credits for admission, leaving you to scramble to make up a credit in 12th grade.

And, if she took Greek 1 and 2 in 7th and 8th grade, but did not continue in 9th, should that go on the transcript? For Latin, it makes sense to include as a precursor to AP Latin that she is taking currently, but I'm not sure Greek needs to be there as it would be showing a pre-requisite to a current course.

Just a caution that if the middle school Greek is the *only* foreign language on the transcript, you may have troubles with meeting college admissions later on (similar to Literature/English credit above).

Instead of putting them on a transcript, you could always include the middle school Greek and Lukeion Lit. course as part of the admission essay, showing the student's interests in languages: "I have been interested in ancient cultures and languages from early on, and while still in middle school I took several high school level courses in ancient Humanities, including 2 years of Greek, and a Literature course on ancient Classics, as well as ...... (list other specifics)"

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 1

I think it can be problematic when people use middle school credits for math and language to justify an "easy" junior and senior year, rather than demonstrating increasing rigor in course selection as the years pass. In your child's case, it sounds like you just want to thoroughly document progression/history, and that is fine.

FWIW, I wouldn't worry too much about listing the middle school algebra and geometry, assuming that your student is continuing to take progressively higher level math courses and has decent test scores.

Except UCs specifically want to see a geometry class, so if you happen to take it prior to high school, you need to show it. I don't know if other universities have similar requirements, but I am going to absolutely list math taken in middle school for the sake of showing the full picture.

• Like 1

Except UCs specifically want to see a geometry class.

Yes, this is our situation exactly. I don't want admissions reps guessing whether we took Geometry and Algebra, which she did in 7th & 8th.

All colleges that I have seen require 4 credits of English

Just a caution that if the middle school Greek is the *only* foreign language on the transcript, you may have troubles with meeting college admissions later on (similar to Literature/English credit above).

I also listed math and language with the grade and credit. This was the practice in the state we lived in when we started high school.

For the Greek it is your choice.

Thank you for your thoughts, ladies. She is not planning on going easy in High school. She will still have English every year, Math every year, and science every year. She'll have five years of Latin total, two of which will be within the last four years of high school (9th & 10th). Plus possibly more language in 11th and 12th as well.

...She is not planning on going easy in High school. She will still have English every year, Math every year, and science every year. She'll have five years of Latin total, two of which will be within the last four years of high school (9th & 10th). Plus possibly more language in 11th and 12th as well.

Sounds like you have things well-covered. :)

Since your student will have a rigorous high school with plenty of credits, bringing up credits from middle school would be mostly unnecessary -- unless needed by state regulations or wanted by a specific college to show that the Algebra & Geometry were done earlier (from previous posts), or to show that the student has had a long-standing interest and pursuit of a specific subject -- the foreign languages in this case (or as in 8FillTheHeart's previous post). :)

• Like 1