Menu

Do you sleep with a stuffed animal?

bethben

Do you sleep with a stuffed animal?  

149 members have voted

1. 1. Do you sleep with a stuffed animal?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not a stuffed animal, but a pillow I've owned forever

I do not, never really did, even as a kid. DD10 doesn't either. 

DD18 sleeps with a large stuffed animal (right now it is the shark from IKEA) even though she sleeps in a full size bed with a boyfriend. LOL I am guessing it is a bit crowded.  

But..she does it because she has a shoulder that hyperextends and so she keeps her arms wrapped around it when she sleeps  A round pillow would work too, but the size, stuffing firmness and shape of IKEAs large animals are usually perfect for her.  It used to be a leopard she name Wilson till he got too floppy and then the shark replaced him. 

random picture of the shark from the internet. odd photo shoot, but it shows the size LOL

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/5a/d0/45/5ad0456d1ff1be3d11532cfb9208fa3a--it-is-my-birthday-think-tanks.jpg

Edited by Tap
  • Like 2

I will admit that I used to. Before kids I had an old bear I slept with, one I got when I was around 8. It was mostly because it was more comfortable to have my arms wrapped around something, though, not for security or anything. After having oldest I didn't use it anymore because she slept with us so we kept everything off the bed except a light sheet. Now that neither are in our bed, I sometimes feel like I need something to "hug" at night, but haven't found anything comfortable. 

I don't but my kids do and we share a bedroom so random stuffed animals land on my bed.

Older boy has two teddy bears (a small and a medium build-a-bear) on his bed. Younger boy has a penguin, a chicken, a cow, a shark and a teddy bear on his bed.

random picture of the shark from the internet. odd photo shoot, but it shows the size LOL

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/5a/d0/45/5ad0456d1ff1be3d11532cfb9208fa3a--it-is-my-birthday-think-tanks.jpg

DS11 sleeps with that IKEA shark.
  • Like 1

I do not, never really did, even as a kid. DD10 doesn't either.

DD18 sleeps with a large stuffed animal (right now it is the shark from IKEA) even though she sleeps in a full size bed with a boyfriend. LOL I am guessing it is a bit crowded.

But..she does it because she has a shoulder that hyperextends and so she keeps her arms wrapped around it when she sleeps A round pillow would work too, but the size, stuffing firmness and shape of IKEAs large animals are usually perfect for her. It used to be a leopard she name Wilson till he got too floppy and then the shark replaced him.

I was just going to comment that i sometimes use a large Ikea shark as a pillow :)

• Like 2

I have a Pound Puppy that is probably about 35 years old. My dh got it when he was a toddler and his German Shepherd Dog died. When we started dating in college, and he was going on a trip, he gave it to me, and I've had it ever since. He (the dog's name is Albert), is usually on our bed, but I don't snuggle with him...he's just there. And when dh is out of town on work trips, Albert sleeps on his pillow. I don't think it's weird at all, and I don't get the condescension from people at the mere idea of an adult having a treasured stuffed animal.

I've made up many stories about him for my children, and he has quite a personality, so now they add to the stories. We can't have a real dog, due to multiple allergies in the family, so I think this is as close as we can get.

If you think all that's weird, that's your business. There's plenty of other stuff people think I'm weird for!

• Like 4

Now I want an IKEA shark.

Seriously! Who knew this IKEA shark was serving a body pillow purpose for so many people!

I don't have any stuffed animal lovies. I do have a specific contoured pillow, but it's for ergonomic, not sentimental, purposes.

DD has a teddy bear her boyfriend gave her several years ago and it does come with her to college and is always in her bed. She also has two hand-crocheted stuffies her friend/roommate made her: a little chubby lion and an elephant. Those are always in her bed, too, even when she goes to college.

• Like 1

A stuffed dragon DH got me 15 years ago-it's a larger version of the one buried with our son, who died soon after birth due to prematurity. The original dragon had been one of the first things I'd bought when I found out I was pregnant.

That's very sweet. Now my eyes are sweaty.

• Like 2

Someone gave me a stuffed raccoon decades ago and Rocky stayed in bed with me since he was a good shape to support my arm or sit on my head and keep my ear warm in winter.  When I was in rehab after the car crash, the kids brought Rocky in...and he got swooped up when sheets were changed while I was in therapy and disappeared.  Kids go me an almost identical Rocky that week. Now Rocky helps support one of my side abdominal hernias in bed. :-)  so, yes, I sleep with a stuffed animal, but for practical reasons. 

Edited by JFSinIL

I might need that shark. 

I sleep with a stuffed animal that belongs to my toddler, technically, but it's the perfect little bolster size to wrap my warm around to sleep. It's a flipazoo animal.

In the past I slept with a large teddy bear I'd had for many, many years - like 15. It wasn't so much sentimental value (well it was a little) or because I liked the toys, but because they were the perfect size for snuggling as a side sleeper. 

A body pillow would work too but they seem to go flat too fast. 

• Like 1

I did all through college.

I do have a pillow that I always sleep with and have had for more than a decade. It's getting not awesome though and I'd love to replace it, but no one makes contour pillows that aren't memory foam anymore so I'm stuck with it. I've thought about buying foam and carving my own - it's at that point. So, it's not about the pillow being a comfort object really. It's about my neck.

I sleep with a stuffed animal. I have one that I used when dh was away for work. Aparently I flail my arms in the night and hit dh on numerous occasions so he asked I try sleeping holding the stuffed animal and it worked. I couldn't cuddle him because of his cpap. Now even though we sleep in different rooms (for lots if reasons, an elderly dog who needs care in the night is one) I still find myself using a stuffed animal.

I know at least one adult who does.  Her boyfriend bought it for her and it lives in her bed.

A sibling packed a teddy when going overseas to a military post.

I have a cute polar bear that I used to bring out of the closet at Christmas time.  That is, until one of my kids swiped it!

My kids both swear they are going to take their softies to college with them.  I'm not going to argue about it.

I can see how a stuffed animal could be a good prop for an adult who needs props in bed.  The other night I was using my kid's stuffies as a prop as I helped her with her homework.  :P

I would, but first I lost my Bearie Bear* during Clinton's inauguration, and then I lost my Orange Bear and my Blue Bear to the children, and now I have to hide Jasper or the dogs think he's a chew toy. Luckily, the dogs themselves make up for my not having a stuffed animal - plus, they bring their own stuffed animals with them at night!

* He had a little patch of a teddy bear over his heart.

• Like 2

I thought of this thread as I fell asleep last night with my arms and chin comfortably supported by my teddy bear. <==practical

My current bear replaced the one I had before I was married. It got purged in a move and I regretted it so DH and DC made me this one at Build a Bear. <==sentimental

Practical and sentimental is the best of both worlds for me.

• Like 3