What's with the ads?

Photo
- - - - -

Do you sleep with a stuffed animal?

68 replies to this topic

Poll: Do you sleep with a stuffed animal? (149 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you sleep with a stuffed animal?

1. Yes (15 votes [10.07%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 10.07%

2. No (125 votes [83.89%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 83.89%

3. Not a stuffed animal, but a pillow I've owned forever (9 votes [6.04%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 6.04%

Vote Guests cannot vote

What's with the ads?

#1 bethben

bethben

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2637 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 07:05 PM

My husband ran across an article that said 40% of adults sleep with a teddy bear.  Really?!?

#2 happysmileylady

happysmileylady

Empress Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3224 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 07:10 PM

I couldn't vote. 

Usually, I have a small embroidered pillow that I use to "hug) but I have only had it like 5yrs which I don't think qualifies as forever.  Sometimes I use a different pillow that my kid made for me when she was a teen. 

And....sometimes I have a giant oversized Care Bear that I use.  That DH and DD21 got me like 15 yrs ago lol. 

#3 Tap

Tap

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16613 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 07:23 PM

I do not, never really did, even as a kid. DD10 doesn't either. 

DD18 sleeps with a large stuffed animal (right now it is the shark from IKEA) even though she sleeps in a full size bed with a boyfriend. LOL I am guessing it is a bit crowded.  

But..she does it because she has a shoulder that hyperextends and so she keeps her arms wrapped around it when she sleeps  A round pillow would work too, but the size, stuffing firmness and shape of IKEAs large animals are usually perfect for her.  It used to be a leopard she name Wilson till he got too floppy and then the shark replaced him. 

random picture of the shark from the internet. odd photo shoot, but it shows the size LOL

https://i.pinimg.com...think-tanks.jpg

Edited by Tap, 13 September 2017 - 07:26 PM.

• Quill and Dust like this

#4 Arctic Mama

Arctic Mama

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12676 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 07:23 PM

I was shocked at that, it was way higher than I thought. No, neither of us use a stuffed animal.

#5 Selkie

Selkie

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1836 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 07:25 PM

We sleep with an assortment of dogs on our bed, but no stuffed animals.

• MercyA likes this

#6 happysmileylady

happysmileylady

Empress Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3224 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 07:29 PM

I was shocked at that, it was way higher than I thought. No, neither of us use a stuffed animal.

My DH doesn't use a stuffed animal, but he does use a giant body pillow.

#7 Arctic Mama

Arctic Mama

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12676 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 07:30 PM

My DH doesn't use a stuffed animal, but he does use a giant body pillow.

I use a body pillow too but it's not to hug, it's to position my hips so they don't hurt ;)

#8 Lady Florida.

Lady Florida.

New again (old) avatar. Same old me.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12556 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 07:34 PM

Wow, really? No, I don't. I'm a grandma. I don't sleep with a stuffed animal. I do however sleep wearing a fur collar every night. My cat curls up right next to my next as soon as I turn out the light.  :D

• Quill likes this

#9 CPSTAnne

CPSTAnne

Hive Mind Level 3 Worker: Honeymaking Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1327 posts

I will admit that I used to. Before kids I had an old bear I slept with, one I got when I was around 8. It was mostly because it was more comfortable to have my arms wrapped around something, though, not for security or anything. After having oldest I didn't use it anymore because she slept with us so we kept everything off the bed except a light sheet. Now that neither are in our bed, I sometimes feel like I need something to "hug" at night, but haven't found anything comfortable. 

#10 CadenceSophia

CadenceSophia

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 806 posts

I still have my lovie from when I was a kid. I slept with him into college because he was the perfect size/density for a pillow, but he ended up in a box the closet when DH became my pillow.

#11 slr1765

slr1765

Too old and crabby

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2330 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 07:37 PM

Nope, just live ones that like to curl on my pillow and groom my hair while I sleep.

• Quill and MercyA like this

#12 happysmileylady

happysmileylady

Empress Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3224 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 07:38 PM

I use a body pillow too but it's not to hug, it's to position my hips so they don't hurt ;)

His is both.

For some reason, it's uncomfortable for me not to have my arm around something to fall asleep.  And it's unfortunately spooning with DH isn't an option due to his CPAP.  I don't bring my pillow or Care Bear when I go somewhere else, like vacation or if we need to be overnight at my parents or whatever.  I just use whatever pillows are available.  If I need to I will call down to the desk at a hotel for an extra pillow. 

• vonfirmath likes this

#13 frugalmamatx

frugalmamatx

Hive Mind Royal Larvae

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 695 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 07:39 PM

If I'm sleeping solo? Yup. A teddy bear I've had for over a decade. If I have a partner in my bed? Nope. MY arms are usually around them 

#14 AK_Mom4

AK_Mom4

Empress Bee of Bacon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6566 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 07:40 PM

No stuffed animals.... but Since my second shoulder surgery I have needed to sleep hugging a pillow so that my shoulder doesn’t roll forward into an awkward position that hurts when I am on my side.

That IKEA Shark looks perfect!
  • Quill likes this

#15 Arcadia

Arcadia

Hive Mind Royal Larvae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15988 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 07:42 PM

I don't but my kids do and we share a bedroom so random stuffed animals land on my bed.

Older boy has two teddy bears (a small and a medium build-a-bear) on his bed. Younger boy has a penguin, a chicken, a cow, a shark and a teddy bear on his bed.

random picture of the shark from the internet. odd photo shoot, but it shows the size LOL

DS11 sleeps with that IKEA shark.
  • Quill likes this

#16 Julie Smith

Julie Smith

Amateur Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9493 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 07:42 PM

I do. His name is Ted. Thanks to games with my kids all teddies in our house have detailed back stories. When Eldest had to write something for school he wrote about Ted. That teddy has lived a very interesting life.
  • Corraleno, Quill and MercyA like this

#17 Pawz4me

Pawz4me

Hive Mind Level 6 Worker: Scout Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9221 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 07:44 PM

No.

Although the cutie in my avatar sleeps on the bed with us and people often say he looks just like a stuffed animal. ;) 

• Quill, Twolittleboys and MercyA like this

#18 maize

maize

Maizgyver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18116 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 08:27 PM

I do not, never really did, even as a kid. DD10 doesn't either.

DD18 sleeps with a large stuffed animal (right now it is the shark from IKEA) even though she sleeps in a full size bed with a boyfriend. LOL I am guessing it is a bit crowded.

But..she does it because she has a shoulder that hyperextends and so she keeps her arms wrapped around it when she sleeps A round pillow would work too, but the size, stuffing firmness and shape of IKEAs large animals are usually perfect for her. It used to be a leopard she name Wilson till he got too floppy and then the shark replaced him.

I was just going to comment that i sometimes use a large Ikea shark as a pillow :)

#19 MrsMommy

MrsMommy

Hive Mind Level 5 Worker: Forager Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1739 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 08:34 PM

I have a Pound Puppy that is probably about 35 years old. My dh got it when he was a toddler and his German Shepherd Dog died. When we started dating in college, and he was going on a trip, he gave it to me, and I've had it ever since. He (the dog's name is Albert), is usually on our bed, but I don't snuggle with him...he's just there. And when dh is out of town on work trips, Albert sleeps on his pillow. I don't think it's weird at all, and I don't get the condescension from people at the mere idea of an adult having a treasured stuffed animal.

I've made up many stories about him for my children, and he has quite a personality, so now they add to the stories. We can't have a real dog, due to multiple allergies in the family, so I think this is as close as we can get.

If you think all that's weird, that's your business. There's plenty of other stuff people think I'm weird for!

• Corraleno, Quill, vonfirmath and 2 others like this

#20 Barb_

Barb_

Master of None

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10130 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 08:35 PM

Now I want an IKEA shark.
  • slr1765, Quill, bibiche and 3 others like this

#21 Arcadia

Arcadia

Hive Mind Royal Larvae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15988 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 08:37 PM

Here. It is $14.99 http://www.ikea.com/...ducts/90373590/

Edited by Arcadia, 13 September 2017 - 08:38 PM.

• Barb_, Quill, MercyA and 1 other like this

#22 Ravin

Ravin

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12752 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 08:39 PM

I have a pillow when I'm sleeping alone, but not a special one. At home DS still cosleeps with me and he's a cuddly kid so usually I'm craving space, not cuddles!

• maize likes this

#23 Quill

Quill

Team Introvert - Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17038 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 08:43 PM

Seriously! Who knew this IKEA shark was serving a body pillow purpose for so many people!

I don't have any stuffed animal lovies. I do have a specific contoured pillow, but it's for ergonomic, not sentimental, purposes.

DD has a teddy bear her boyfriend gave her several years ago and it does come with her to college and is always in her bed. She also has two hand-crocheted stuffies her friend/roommate made her: a little chubby lion and an elephant. Those are always in her bed, too, even when she goes to college.
  • CadenceSophia likes this

#24 maize

maize

Maizgyver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18116 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 08:43 PM

Here. It is $14.99 http://www.ikea.com/...ducts/90373590/

I see the makings of a new Hive trend--right up there with Speed Queen washers and InstantPots ;)
  • Ravin, slr1765, Quill and 1 other like this

#25 Barb_

Barb_

Master of None

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10130 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 08:44 PM

I see the makings of a new Hive trend--right up there with Speed Queen washers and InstantPots ;)

For $14.99? Guess where I'm going this weekend?

Edited by Barb_, 13 September 2017 - 08:44 PM.

• MercyA and maize like this

#26 dmmetler

dmmetler

Chasing snakes!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14068 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 08:46 PM

A stuffed dragon DH got me 15 years ago-it's a larger version of the one buried with our son, who died soon after birth due to prematurity. The original dragon had been one of the first things I'd bought when I found out I was pregnant.
  • Barb_, elegantlion, Quill and 6 others like this

#27 Barb_

Barb_

Master of None

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10130 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 08:54 PM

A stuffed dragon DH got me 15 years ago-it's a larger version of the one buried with our son, who died soon after birth due to prematurity. The original dragon had been one of the first things I'd bought when I found out I was pregnant.

That's very sweet. Now my eyes are sweaty.
  • Quill and bibiche like this

#28 desertstrawberry5

desertstrawberry5

Hive Mind Level 4 Worker: Builder Bee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 305 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 09:00 PM

I did before I was married. A 4 foot tall teddy bear named Stella. I got her when I was 8. I don't remember what happened to her. 

Edited by desertstrawberry5, 14 September 2017 - 12:15 AM.

#29 MercyA

MercyA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5305 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 09:01 PM

You need a "sometimes" option.  :)  (ETA: I voted "yes," because I do when I feel like it.)

Edited by MercyA, 14 September 2017 - 11:37 PM.

#30 Lady Florida.

Lady Florida.

New again (old) avatar. Same old me.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12556 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 09:02 PM

Although the cutie in my avatar sleeps on the bed with us and people often say he looks just like a stuffed animal. ;)

Well he does. He's a cutie.  :001_smile:

• Pawz4me and MercyA like this

#31 happi duck

happi duck

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8594 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 09:03 PM

I love my teddy bear!

It's uncomfortable to sleep without him.
  • MercyA and peacelovehomeschooling like this

#32 mytwomonkeys

mytwomonkeys

Amateur Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4073 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 09:07 PM

Nope. I hug a pillow though. I used to cuddle my sweet jack russel but she passed away last year :-(

#33 elegantlion

elegantlion

Wandering and Wondering

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27906 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 09:12 PM

I did for a long time as a kid. I sleep with a pillow I hug now. My dog doesn't like to cuddle and wants to take over the whole bed, so she usually ends up in the chair. 

#34 laundrycrisis

laundrycrisis

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3554 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 10:25 PM

No, but a living dog who does a great imitation of one.    And sometimes one or two more canines also join, but they need to work more on their stuffed animal impressions.  

• Corraleno, MercyA and maize like this

#35 Ananda

Ananda

Hive Mind Worker Bee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 193 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 10:30 PM

I have a special blanket.  It is a sensory thing, more than a comfort object.

• vonfirmath likes this

#36 Tbog

Tbog

Empress Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4319 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 10:39 PM

Well my husband's main meal of the day is supper... which he eats right before bed. So he is technically stuffed by the time he lays down. So... 😂
  • JFSinIL, CadenceSophia and maize like this

#37 CadenceSophia

CadenceSophia

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 806 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 10:43 PM

My DS9 sleeps with that ikea shark too. His name is sharkie. DD has a large elephant who I think is also from ikea for her pillow
  • maize likes this

#38 Suzanne in ABQ

Suzanne in ABQ

Empress Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4456 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 10:48 PM

I have a bolster pillow I use to support my arm if my shoulder is bothering me, but otherwise, no.

#39 IsabelC

IsabelC

Grumpy old woman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5258 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 10:49 PM

Ms. 9 is the only person here who sleeps with stuffed animals.  Ms. 12 usually sleeps with the cat in her bed though. 

#40 Tangerine

Tangerine

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2124 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 11:10 PM

I have two little feet in my back at the moment. Not to mention two in my belly. And a kindergartner who just stumbled in and got in her crash pad at the foot of my bed. There are often matchbox cars or dinosaurs somewhere in here. But no stuffed animals. No room in the inn.
  • Tap, Ravin, Lawana and 4 others like this

#41 DesertBlossom

DesertBlossom

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1585 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 11:21 PM

I have a pillow. it's my squishy pillow. I have had it for as long as I can remember. So it might seriously be 30 years old or more. It's got kind of a bean bag feel to it now. I wrap my arms around it when I sleep. And I don't sleep well without it.

#42 Elizabeth86

Elizabeth86

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 869 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 05:29 AM

Not my own. A few end up in my bed since we co sleep.

I used to have a special pillow, but ditched it when I started cosleeping with our first baby. I always have a baby to cuddle.

Edited by Elizabeth86, 14 September 2017 - 05:30 AM.

• maize likes this

#43 J-rap

J-rap

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11114 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 07:13 AM

My husband ran across an article that said 40% of adults sleep with a teddy bear.  Really?!?

It's very hard for me to believe this statistic!

#44 JFSinIL

JFSinIL

Queen of teh Typos ;-)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 07:26 AM

Someone gave me a stuffed raccoon decades ago and Rocky stayed in bed with me since he was a good shape to support my arm or sit on my head and keep my ear warm in winter.  When I was in rehab after the car crash, the kids brought Rocky in...and he got swooped up when sheets were changed while I was in therapy and disappeared.  Kids go me an almost identical Rocky that week. Now Rocky helps support one of my side abdominal hernias in bed. :-)  so, yes, I sleep with a stuffed animal, but for practical reasons. 

Edited by JFSinIL, 14 September 2017 - 07:26 AM.

#45 peacelovehomeschooling

peacelovehomeschooling

Hive Mind Level 2 Worker: Nurse Bee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 139 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 07:32 AM

I do.  I have PTSD (and anxiety) and the therapist I was seeing for a very long time suggested it.  It has been helpful and comforting.  I have an elephant and I hold her trunk while I sleep.  Yes, I named her too.

#46 xixstar

xixstar

Hive Mind Level 2 Worker: Nurse Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1458 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 07:40 AM

I might need that shark. 

I sleep with a stuffed animal that belongs to my toddler, technically, but it's the perfect little bolster size to wrap my warm around to sleep. It's a flipazoo animal.

In the past I slept with a large teddy bear I'd had for many, many years - like 15. It wasn't so much sentimental value (well it was a little) or because I liked the toys, but because they were the perfect size for snuggling as a side sleeper. 

A body pillow would work too but they seem to go flat too fast. 

• maize likes this

#47 Farrar

Farrar

Expert Cat Herder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22558 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 07:41 AM

I did all through college.

I do have a pillow that I always sleep with and have had for more than a decade. It's getting not awesome though and I'd love to replace it, but no one makes contour pillows that aren't memory foam anymore so I'm stuck with it. I've thought about buying foam and carving my own - it's at that point. So, it's not about the pillow being a comfort object really. It's about my neck.

#48 Mommyof1

Mommyof1

Hive Mind Level 4 Worker: Builder Bee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 287 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 07:44 AM

Only time there is a stuffed animal in our bed is when DD4 brings it with her in the morning.

#49 heartlikealion

heartlikealion

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11971 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 07:47 AM

40%? Maybe they are including anyone over age 18. Might be more common say, with a young person sleeping with the teddy their significant other gave them?

#50 Beaniemom

Beaniemom

Hive Mind Royal Larvae

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 721 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 07:55 AM

I sleep with a stuffed animal. I have one that I used when dh was away for work. Aparently I flail my arms in the night and hit dh on numerous occasions so he asked I try sleeping holding the stuffed animal and it worked. I couldn't cuddle him because of his cpap. Now even though we sleep in different rooms (for lots if reasons, an elderly dog who needs care in the night is one) I still find myself using a stuffed animal.
  • peacelovehomeschooling likes this