Menu

My heart attack for the day

Xahm

The kids and I were enjoying the front yard a bit today now that the residual hurricane rains have gone. The grass has certainly enjoyed all the extra water and is especially thick and tall. My newly minted one year old had just switched from walking to crawling down the hill towards our back yard when I picked him up to keep him from wandering off. Inches from where his hand was, in a place his hand had passed over, was a young copperhead. (About as big around as a pencil; the hershey's kiss marks were pretty clear). Oh my goodness! On the one hand, it was pretty much proof positive that copperheads are not in the least bit aggressive. It stayed very still until we stepped away and then it hightailed it out of there. On the other hand, my baby was within striking range of a venomous snake! Agh!

I kept the baby on the driveway with some sidewalk chalk after that, and when my husband gets back from National Guard duty, he will be cutting this lawn.

I have to admit that this gave me a weird insight into my psyche. The two voices in my head, one saying "kill it" the other "that's a bad idea. It did nothing, and besides, most snake bites come when someone is trying to kill a snake." The "kill it" side included "people will say you are a bad mom if you let your kid be around snakes." Then I argued back with myself that thinking of what others say is a bad reason for doing anything. Then back at myself with, "but not killing it just to show you care about the environment is also a bad reason." I was really glad that by this point in my mental argument with myself, the snake had slithered away.

edited a bit because my phone isn't always great at reading my mind, though it tries.

Edited by xahm
  • Like 2

OMG. I thought copperheads were very aggressive? My aunt got bit by one and it affected her terribly. It took her forever to recover.

While copperheads are poisonous, they are not one of the more aggressive snakes. You may be thinking of cottonmouths (aka water moccasins) who will chase mere mortals.