What's with the ads?

Photo
* * * * - 5 votes

This was a little disturbing...a couple today in grocery store...

807 replies to this topic

What's with the ads?

#801 DawnM

DawnM

Qualified Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22015 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 09:12 AM

I want to thank you tenacious souls who have kept this thread going for days. I keep wondering when it's going to fizzle or get locked, but it's still here. It's been my guilty distraction while DS works in the same room. Of ALL the posts, THIS is the one that made me laugh out loud and had DS asking what I'm doing. I'm so not telling him.

Based upon this thread alone I have compiled The Complete WTM List of Freaks and Prudes. You're welcome.

ETA: I also want to add that I find it disturbing that not one person has addressed the dehumanizing way the woman invaded the man's pants and publicly mugged him while the rest of the shoppers fell for the obvious distraction.

Dehumanizing way the woman " invaded" the man's pants?  

I viewed that as just one more way she was dehumanized.....reach into my pants in public, but just remember, it is on a chain and not YOUR money.

I did not "fall" for anything and take issue with that statement.

• 8circles likes this

#802 DawnM

DawnM

Qualified Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22015 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 09:21 AM

Chocolate reign - I'd argue that 14 is a LOT more mature than we give them credit for today. Until the 50's, 14 was legal marriage age in some places. And it was COMMONLY accepted. Even 10-11 can be very mature tbh, and accept things in a regular manner. 

How many 14 year old BOYS got married?  I would say, pretty much, zero.  14 year old GIRLS were "given away" by their parents to older men, often without actually desiring to marry.  I admit the first thing that came to mind was FLDS and their practices of 14 year olds marrying 45 year olds (or older)

And if 14 year olds ran off to get married, it was often to escape a bad home, running into the wrong arms of older men.

I grew up overseas, where girls were often not able to choose their mates.  Arranged marriages tend to give the girls away younger, particularly in polygamous societies.

14 year olds should be kids and enjoy being kids.  

I would look up statistics but will have to wait, I am at work again.

Edited by DawnM, 19 September 2017 - 09:23 AM.

• Frances and 8circles like this

#803 Cindy in FL.

Cindy in FL.

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2909 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 09:37 AM

The encounter does not sound like it rises to the level of needing a call to 911 or anything like that. It doesn't raise red flags for me to think she may be abused in private if that is going on in public. I believe she is willingly choosing that behavior. I personally find it disturbing. I don't think that it is normal, healthy behavior. I would really want to know why this young woman thinks that she needs/deserves/wants to be led around on a leash as though she wasn't a human being capable of freely roaming a grocery store. Why she felt that subjugating herself to a man (or anyone else) was for her good in that circumstance. I also want to know why the young man should want/need/desire a woman to act that way.

I don't think that all the desires or cravings we have are actually good for us and need to be fulfilled. Sometimes we need to address the underlying reasons and thinking that drives those desires and cravings.

When I was newly married, my dh asked me when I was going to start calling him lord. I was stunned to say the least. My question to him was, "Why would you want me to?" He really thought that it would be for my good. I thought he was nuts and that I had made the biggest mistake of my life marrying him. He got some counseling from some godly men, matured, and would never ask something like that now, but his view of women was seriously messed up at that time. There was a problem in his mind that needed to be addressed, and I think that applies in this circumstance.

Edited by Cindy in FL., 19 September 2017 - 09:38 AM.

• Carol in Cal., chocolatechip, okbud and 1 other like this

#804 chocolatechip

chocolatechip

Hi there.

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1243 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 10:42 AM

Dehumanizing way the woman " invaded" the man's pants?  

I viewed that as just one more way she was dehumanized.....reach into my pants in public, but just remember, it is on a chain and not YOUR money.

I did not "fall" for anything and take issue with that statement.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think she was being facetious...

• heatherwith3, KungFuPanda, marbel and 2 others like this

#805 MercyA

MercyA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5291 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 12:08 PM

iWhen I was newly married, my dh asked me when I was going to start calling him lord. I was stunned to say the least. My question to him was, "Why would you want me to?" He really thought that it would be for my good. I thought he was nuts and that I had made the biggest mistake of my life marrying him. He got some counseling from some godly men, matured, and would never ask something like that now, but his view of women was seriously messed up at that time. There was a problem in his mind that needed to be addressed, and I think that applies in this circumstance.

I'm guessing he picked up that idea from 1 Peter 3:6, which mentions Sarah calling Abraham lord? I think it is her attitude Christian women are encouraged to emulate, not the exact words she used.

I hope your husband continued on in his reading of the passage. It notes that a husband's prayers will be hindered if he doesn't treat his wife with understanding and honor, and that, furthermore, all (men and women) should "be harmonious, sympathetic, brotherly, kindhearted, and humble in spirit." 

I'm glad you worked it all out.  :)

Edited by MercyA, 19 September 2017 - 12:10 PM.

• Cindy in FL. likes this

#806 Bluegoat

Bluegoat

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11824 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 12:14 PM

But what I am wondering is: Was it because you have a different reaction to the incident OR because the incident you pictured was quite different from what I pictured? Obviously, I didn't realize this was going to turn into such a long/contentious thread so I probably skimmed through it (and I often picture scenes in books etc. quite a bit different from what the actual words would indicate).

So my mental image so to speak was kind of a young (around college age?) couple dressed in what I would call "punk" style (i.e. black leather, metal, black hair). I do not remember the first post so not sure if anything like that was mentioned or if I just associate that style with chokers/chains. My imaginery scene probably also included some giggling etc.

I am not trying to say that this is at all close to how it actually looked nor am I saying that necessarily would change people's opinions. I am just wondering whether that first mental image we got when we read the post has a large impact on how we feel about the issue. I feel pretty certain that my opinion at least would have been quite different if I had actually witnessed the scene and if it had been significantly different from the way I imagined it.

I'm sure that makes a difference.  I read it as a BSDM thing right away, so I wasn't picturing giggling.  What it does bring up from the dredges of my brain - specifically the pocket bit -  is bikers having a gf take out and hold their penis so they can take a leak.  Not a great image for sure.

#807 Cindy in FL.

Cindy in FL.

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2909 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 12:21 PM

Yes, that is where he got it from, and I understand it as you do. Dh is a work in progress as am I!

I'm guessing he picked up that idea from 1 Peter 3:6, which mentions Sarah calling Abraham lord? I think it is her attitude Christian women are encouraged to emulate, not the exact words she used.

I hope your husband continued on in his reading of the passage. It notes that a husband's prayers will be hindered if he doesn't treat his wife with understanding and honor, and that, furthermore, all (men and women) should "be harmonious, sympathetic, brotherly, kindhearted, and humble in spirit."

I'm glad you worked it all out. :)

#808 DawnM

DawnM

Qualified Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22015 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 07:03 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think she was being facetious...

Gotcha.