Menu

Sadlier Vocabulary writing ... how to get it done?

Pen

DS is in brick school this year (grade 9) and they use Sadlier Vocabulary workshop book series, which I know some home schoolers use too.  

He is having trouble doing the "writing" exercise in each lesson.  Seems to be 2 writing tasks with a topic to write on using at least some number of words from the vocabulary lesson.  Any hints on how to go about doing this --a system or approach -- without a lot of difficulty would be appreciated.

He could write sentences with the words. Or he could write paragraphs on the subject matter. But putting together the need to stick to subject matter and also use the given words seems to be causing trouble.

Thanks!

Edited by Pen

If you look at page 10/20 of link, you can see the writing: words in action task.

http://viewer.zmags.com/publication/cd3eab7c#/cd3eab7c/10

My kids pick the three units words first for both writing tasks, then pick the details from the comprehension passage for task 1. We used the vocabulary workshop series grade levels ahead so I didn't ask my kids for three paragraphs though or I would end up with getting three very short paragraphs from them.

• Like 1

If you look at page 10/20 of link, you can see the writing: words in action task.

http://viewer.zmags.com/publication/cd3eab7c#/cd3eab7c/10

My kids pick the three units words first for both writing tasks, then pick the details from the comprehension passage for task 1. We used the vocabulary workshop series grade levels ahead so I didn't ask my kids for three paragraphs though or I would end up with getting three very short paragraphs from them.

Thanks for the suggestion for order to do the assignments.  I can't get the link to download. Does it just show an example exercise from the book? Or does it give strategy and approaches ?

I can't get the link to download. Does it just show an example exercise from the book? Or does it give strategy and approaches ?

The link is a sample so it can't be downloaded. The strategy and approach might be on the teacher's guide which I didn't buy. It is not on the Vocabulary Workshop student workbooks.

I did buy the teacher's guide for one of their grammar books but found it wasn't comprehensive for a teacher's guide. It gave solutions but not much teaching tips.

Edited by Arcadia

The link is a sample so it can't be downloaded. The strategy and approach might be on the teacher's guide which I didn't buy. It is not on the Vocabulary Workshop student workbooks.

I did buy the teacher's guide for one of their grammar books but found it wasn't comprehensive for a teacher's guide. It gave solutions but not much teaching tips.

I guess "downloaded" is the wrong word. I could not see anything other than grey and some arrows on my screen.

Okay. Thanks. I'll see if the approach of choosing words and facts first, and then composing helps.

I guess "downloaded" is the wrong word. I could not see anything other than grey and some arrows on my screen.

I did a save PDF to iBooks and also did a screen shot using my phone. I don't have any app to resize the screen shot on my phone. I'll have to use my kids laptop tomorrow to do it.

I did a save PDF to iBooks and also did a screen shot using my phone. I don't have any app to resize the screen shot on my phone. I'll have to use my kids laptop tomorrow to do it.

If it is only what the book has, please don't go to any trouble on this because I can look at the book itself.

I'm just trying to get ideas for how to deal with the assignment, or break it into chunks in an order that will work.